Yamaha introduces A-S801 Integrated Amp with DSD128 for $899

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Radiotron, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer Thread Starter

DSD is getting closer to mainstream than I thought. This is one killer price AND a US release.

• 100 W x 2-ch (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
    • USB DAC function supports native DSD resolutions (2.8 MHz / 5.6 MHz) and PCM (384 kHz / 32-bit)
    • Digital signal indicator shows DSD and PCM playback formats and sampling frequencies
    • High efficiency ESS Technology 32-bit DAC (ES9010K2M)
    • Digital audio inputs for TV or Blu-ray Disc™ player
    • CD Direct Amplification and Pure Direct
    • High strength chassis with double-bottom design for excellent dampening of vibrations
    • ToP-ART (Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology) and high quality parts
    • I/O (input to output) direct symmetrical design
    • ART (Anti-Resonance and Tough) Base
    • Custom made power transformer / 12,000 µF block capacitors / extruded aluminum heat sinks
    • Gold plated speaker terminals and RCA terminals
    • Continuously Variable Loudness Control
    http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s801/?mode=model

[​IMG]

George P, o0OBillO0o, c-eling and 4 others like this.
  2. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Looks great! Wonder how it sounds. Been a long time since i heard a yamaha integrated.

3. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

maybe a typo? all prices i was able to find reference $999....

4. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer Thread Starter

Yes, the press release was misleading. The non-DSD A-S701 costs $899. Still interesting though.

5. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

I'm gonna buy it!!!

6. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Very interesting. Could be a good piece for a second system.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Where is the amp made?

8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Yamaha has had a facility in Malaysia for at least twenty years where a lot of their stuff is built. Quality control is excellent because they own the factory and have trained their employees well. I suspect it's made there. Otherwise, it would be Japan.

I saw this release the other day. This looks like a hell of an amp. The initial reviews of the new Yamaha integrated amps have been positive, with a lot warmer tone than we are used to from Yamaha. I would love to hear this puppy. Digital inputs, a USB connection, plus bass, treble, balance and a variable loudness control, not to mention a phono stage. Now there are a fine combination of features. :righton:

c-eling likes this.
  9. coopmv

I have a 20 year old cassette deck and a universal player, both made by Yamaha. I actually like Yamaha equipments better than I do Sony. Obviously, I am still very fond of the collection of Nakamichi cassette decks I have ... :righton:

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

wow i have been loving my as-500 since august and been looking to something with digital friendliness

PearlJamNoCode likes this.
  11. coopmv

I can accomplish the same with a good outboard DAC as well ...

12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Nice looking unit...

13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I'll bet it is really a nice piece. What a great time to love music and audio gear.

14. coopmv

I find the dedicated output to sub more interesting than the built-in DAC ...

15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Cool to see that after all these years Yamaha still employs that unique "Loudness" control.

16. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I bought its younger brother, the AS 501 a couple of months ago. A great amp with digital inputs (as well as analogue of course) but no USB. It's actually too good for my mediocre speakers (and I can't afford to buy any better ones) but the variable loudness and tone controls make up for that.
    I don't want to re-open the old "burn in" argument but I feel it did take some weeks to mellow (and it's not my ears - they have mellowed long ago!)
    By the way, both models look almost identical from the front.

17. coopmv

I am surprised Yamaha no longer is offering different models in Europe vs. the US.

18. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

Yamaha seems to recommend Foobar2000, see the manual, for DSD playback. Is there a Apple Computer solution? iTunes and Audirvana?

19. coopmv

IIRC, those Yamaha SACD players all have solid build and weigh over 30 lbs. When was the last time we saw any CD/SACD player costing under $1000 and weighed much more than 10 lbs?

20. o0OBillO0o

This is feature packed integrated, there should be more enthusiasm..

21. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I am stilll wondering why I should need DSD..lol. You must buy expensive HiRes Downloads and pay a fee for a piece of software allowing you to play that stuff natively. I am much more interested in stuff like the new DEVIALET PHANTOM with apt Bluetooth allowing you to stream files lossless via phones or portable computers or from a Mac Mini, something you get the cheapest atm by the revolutionary new Musical fidelity MERLIN system.
    Besides that I know the new AS gear from Yamaha. I owned the AS 700 for a year or so and that was a decent enough amp but it had a bit of hardness in the upper frequencies. Otherwise big sound powerful with a large soundstage and the usual Natural Sound. I also use a new YAMAHA CD-N 500 CD Player with Network Player on board. For the price it is really a good sounding unit.
    If you want serious audiophile quality get their SACD Players. The AS 1000 is a beast. Looks much more impressive in reality than on pictures. The new AS 210 and 3000 series are real Super Audio systems. What I like about Yamaha is you get what you pay for. always a great ratio in terms of value vs price !

22. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Jesus that thing is beautiful.

23. o0OBillO0o

Yes, the Phantom is a game changer. Still, bringing that up here is not an apples to apples comparison. Not even in the same ball park when it comes to pricing either. This is an $899 retro looking audio jackknife.

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Okay but at under 2 grand it offers sensational value and features I could not even have dreamt about prior to seeing that item. The MERLIN oth costs 1 grand in euro and offers amp + speakers, good Phono MM and a sensational quality headphone amp PLUS the new features, that are soon becoming the new norm. The automatic optimizing of spealer load & impedance from amp to speakers optimized to sound best within your room (whatever the size or shape/acoustcs may be).. NOT to forget BT aptx.
    Just saying that I prefer those features vs the theoretical plus DSD possibilie might bring.
    For me as useless as a Phono input to someone who does not have/want Vinyl playback does not own a TT nor LPs..
    All that of course does NOT mean the new Yamaha amp might not be a fine amp with a great price/value ratio.
    It is just the blind admiration for the new Higher Highest resolution hype. after all most of us are used to CD and lossless files. And play them 99.9% of the time (unless it is 320 mp3)..i don't want to own each album in 384 Bits eating up 4 gb of HD space..

25. o0OBillO0o

I understand your sentiment that CD - 16/44 is the most prolific digital format. Vinyl LPs are the most prolific analog format. Good thing that the A-S801 supports both, one real short coming is no internal MC phono preamp. If you look on the Yamaha page, it supports aptX Bluetooth through an external antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.