DVD-Audio Sales Five Times that of SACD Says RIAA Survey

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

It varies - the best bet for DVD Audio discs would be Amazon, eBay and the online stores.

2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I burn 'em from my needledropped vinyl in 96/24. Put 'em in the DVD-A player, push 'play' and I'm off in hi-fi wonderland.

The only thing I don't like about the commercially-released titles is needing a monitor to read the options menus. With SACDs, you only need the stereo or surround playback button, and you're off and enjoying the music.

3. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I jumped on the bandwagon for both formats when they came out. But I got bored with hi res pretty quickly. I don't do surround. For stereo, there's records. Hi res was overpriced and it was all the same titles I've bought multiple times before. Ultimately, hearing a teenie bit more clarity didn't result in any greater enjoyment for me. The music is the music regardless.

Also, mixing and mastering were a big issue. The SaCd's I bought all sucked. Dylan and Elton John were all for the most part, tinny toothache inducing messes. Brain Salad Surgury lacked a stereo mix and and used the wrong vocal takes. I liked the steely Dan/Fagen releases, but not enough to bother continuing.

Never bought any of the audiophile label stuff. I'm sure it's better, but again, it's just all the same stuff I've had for 30 years coming out over and over again. There's a total wasteland of great modern albums that were loudness war victims that deserve to be heard properly. They don't do those tho. We just get Santana I and 461 Ocean Boulevard over and over again.

Paul Saldana likes this.
  4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I just saw the thread title and went :wtf:. Then I saw it was from 2004. DVD-Audio was fast out of the gate but lacked endurance.

5. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

I've bought from e-bay when the price was reasonable it seems just within the past year people think they can get away with charging as much as $200 plus just because they say it's oop or think there very rare. It's a joke

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

They should of released Mr. Ed Jumps The Gun! ;)

7. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

On e-bay they don't have anything I consider rare soon as you buy a title you think is rare it's replaced with the very same one the next day, its just seems and this is a fact e-bay sells the same old Sacd or DVDs audio over & over again people just don't want to part with the real rare titles.

8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you do the proper research you will know if a title is rare and or overpriced. If you know where to look and take the time there are excellent buys out there on rare SACDs and DVD-As. I found Jennifer Wells' SACD for under $18 a few years ago. I just bought a bunch of mint OOP MFSL Gold CDs with Crime of Century included for less than $20 each. I've found plenty of excellent deals on ebay as well. So there are bargains out there on desirable titles if you look hard enough :).

Bill

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's too bad.

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree that is too bad. One of the great things about being a member on SH is that you can search right here to see if a specific SACD is worth buying.

Bill

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Bill, You are right, buying SACD's on ebay is probably safer than buying vinyl on ebay. More than a decade ago I tired buying used vinyl on ebay and the experience was horrible. Sellers would describe a record as near mint and what I got was vinyl that was almost unplayable. When I insitted on returning it the sellers would get very angry and you can imagine how they reacted to negative reviews. I stopped buying vinyl on ebay.

12. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

I
    Well I'm on E-bay just about every day and the selection is always the same. I admit when you say you can find a deal for $20 dollars but I don't buy just because it's a deal and deals like that just ends up sitting around collecting dust. Myself I buy with the intention to listen to them every day like my last purchase Simple Minds for $100 the seller states oop very rare soon as I bought the DVDs Audio there was 3 available the next day. And this doesn't only happen on e-bay but Amazon also and any other place that sell hi Rez so opp I can believe but rare there is no such thing. And I think I did my proper research being I have 600 titles of a mixture of Sacd, DTS, & DVDs audio and I have some 5.1 you'll never find anywhere like Grand Funk Railroad, Golden Earring, Joe Walsh, The Guess who, The best of Heart and Styx Grand illusion and there rare.

13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I just bought a Marantz UD5007 UPlayer that does DVD-A. And a nice deck it is!! Streaming a 911 doc on Hulu right now. Fast Loading, easy to use interface and really good sounding audio-not bad for $320!
    the beave

14. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

Back to the subject of DVDs Audio out sells Sacd, well I can believe it because the quality of sound from DVDs audio is superior. The way it is if you have a average 5.1 system then they will all sound a like, that is how it was for me till I bought the GTC77 from Adam Audio and this is what I found DVDs audio by a long shot then DTS then Sacd.

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The overwhelming number of SACD titles are relatively rare or flat-out rare. The only exceptions are stuff like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, the Stones' hybrids, and Sony's Dylan hybrids. Many SACD's were only released in Asia or Europa or North America. There are scores of titles that probably were only pressed once, in small lots....possibly as small as 5000 units. Just because more than one copy came up for sale right after you bought one doesn't speak to rare or not rare.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm on ebay quite often and I don't feel the selection is always the same. Maybe if you're looking for one specific title but I look for rock and jazz titles. Who said anything about buying SACDs just to have them sit around :confused:? I'm not sure of your point but I buy music to listen to it. If you have a large music collection sure some will sit on the shelf more than others but all my music gets played. So with a collection of 600 you play each title everyday? Yeah OK ;).

So all DVD-As sound superior to all SACDs? What is your basis for that statement?

Bill

17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I never even heard that Styx' Grand Illusion came out on any of the format's you mentioned.

18. Metralla

Perhaps he is referring to multi-channel only.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Geoff,

That could be true. But I'm still curious why someone would make a blanket statement like that saying one format sounds better than the other. I have quite a few multichannel SACDs and DVD-As with some sounding excellent and some not. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the audio format used.

Bill

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

That same poster was also making some bizarre posts in another thread claiming that the iTunes store sells mp3s among other things. I don't think he understood the difference between the iTunes store and using iTunes as a means to store/play one's own media.

21. Metralla

You have played in an area in which I have no experience - multichannel and DVD-Audio.

22. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I sided with Dvd-a during the glory days. Kind of like if you were a Beatles man or a Stones man.

23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I sided with DVD-A simply because they were playable in my car at the time. Aside from one $$$$ car (I forget who), SACD was never made available for car players.

24. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

I picked up Grand Illusion as a DTS 5.1 and the mix is done pretty good.

Scottb likes this.
  25. watsy1958

watsy1958 Forum Resident

Before I bought my latest 5.1 system I use to have the Logitech Z-5500 which sound pretty good but I couldn't really tell if there was any difference in sound quality in the three formats I mention till I bought my new system. Now it's real easy to tell the superior format but don't get me wrong this is just my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.