Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Murph, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I sure hope not. I was really hoping for an AF A Farewell To Kings as a companion to the AF Hemispheres.

sound chaser likes this.
  2. Nod

Nod Forum Resident

i'm just hoping for some deluxe treatment. a few extras would go a long way to pulling me in. i do like the idea of releasing these monthly. it's kind of like a subscription. i have yet to find a dead quite version of farewell to kings. i can't wait!

3. Nod

Nod Forum Resident

4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Frankly I wish more artists would do this, and space out their reissues over a longer stretch of time. Allows for better overall quality control, and buying one or two a month feels easier on the wallet (though of course a box set would likely be cheaper in the long run).

johnny q likes this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

That's fantastic news that these are being handled by the same folks who did the S/T reissue. I think that means everyone can relax.

6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Here's the blurb for FBN....

Remastered on 200-gram, heavyweight vinyl at legendary Abbey Road Studios using the Direct to Metal Mastering (DMM) audiophile copper plating process, all from original analogue masters. Fly By Night was originally released in 1975 and was the first album to feature drummer Neil Peart, who also became the band's lyricist. The singles included the title track and 'Making Memories.' Fly By Night reached #113 on the Billboard chart, going platinum in both the U.S. and Canada.

7. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I wish they would release box sets (at least for a few of the albums) as they did for their debut this year.

8. Drew

Drew Senior Member

This will probably push me over the edge into buying one of those Oppo players that can play DSD files from a pendrive.

9. motionmover

motionmover Forum Resident

Listened to Rush Rediscovered Vinyl box set. Sounds incredible. Really looking forward to these releases.
    Not sure about those hi-res downloads, I downloaded the MP4's from the aforementioned boxset, and those are definitely not hi-res. File size was only 94 Mb.

ClassicRockTragic likes this.
  10. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Man I can't wait for these.

11. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I will just wait for Hoffman Forum to tell me that they are not actually 24bit / 192khz

Malina likes this.
  12. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

So I understand that the vinyl will be newly remastered but whats up with the Hi rez downloads? Andy Vandette
    mastered the Sector boxes at 24/96 and yet there's going to be DSD and 24/192 for download? I would like to think
    as long as they have the analog masters for the vinyl they are making new digital masters at Abbey Road. Otherwise
    whats the point? While I'm not against buying the new vinyl, I just don't have a setup to play them on. I'm more
    interested in the Hi-rez digital. I also agree that they should be doing the entire catalog in Bluray, surround or
    no surround. VanDette's mastering isn't terrible and probably better suited to the Mp3 and CD markets.

I guess I too will wait for someone to compare and report on them.

13. I really like the one-per month concept. Makes it easier to absorb in a budget, and there's a consistency to it that should be fun. That said, I don't really like much 70's Rush and probably won't hop on until M.P. or E.S.L. No interest at all in the stuff up through Hemispheres, which aside from the odd track here or there is pretty boring to me.

Ben Adams likes this.
  14. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I'd get them all on BluRay in 5.1

Come on Rush!

15. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

It's probably the end for the Mercury era, but I hope not. I'm guessing Test for Echo may be the next one if AF continues to release some more Rush, and that album seriously needs the treatment because the only version with decent DR is the cassette.

Stuart S and mmars982 like this.
  16. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You won't need the forum to tell you that for the albums recorded and/or mixed at 16/44.1. :) None of the albums in this series of releases was done after digital studio technology went beyond 16 bits and 48kHz so any albums that have had something digital in the chain will be limited by that technology.

Of course if they are upsampled and then mastering done at 24/192 or else mastering done with analog equipment and then the results redigitized at 24/192 then it's a whole different thing.

Let's just see how they sound first.

17. dcd2112

dcd2112 Forum Resident

What would be cool is if Caress Of Steel is issued with corrected artwork. Back in the day when COS was released, the printer botched the color separation. The molten metal titles and sculpted artwork came out looking more like brass rather than steel. I'm trying to find a way to get in contact with Universal Music and ask them if they would consider fixing this mistake.

vinyl diehard and Murph like this.
  18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich! Thread Starter

Or change the title to Caress of Brass

JulesRules, DiabloG, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Cool. They're all up for preorder on Amazon. I'm gonna place my orders and then get everything into Quicken so that they're just part of my monthly budgets. :)

20. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, they have everything through Grace Under Pressure on Amazon. I'll just have to wait on preordering the final three.

21. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I'm not clear - because I'm dim - but does the vinyl include a code to download the hi res files?

Also, on Amazon UK, it says it's released on the "Commercial Marketing" label. Who on earth are they?

22. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Commercial Marketing is Universal. For some reason Amazon UK always put this for a Universal release...

23. asat

asat Member

I´m wondering if I should go for the hi-res or vinyl?

24. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Vinyl for the cool cover.

erniebert likes this.
  25. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So for those of us that bought the Sector sets these Blu-ray are a big yawn? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.