How Important Are First Impressions When Auditioning Gear?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blair G., Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

I am analytical by nature; I tend to spend time with new gear to learn its personality and try various types of music to get a long term feel for the piece.
    Plus I've always been of the opinion that the very thing that jumps out at you at first and makes you say "Wow!" is the same thing that may be driving you nuts two months down the road.

But is that latter statement wrong?
    Maybe that first impression, a gut reaction, is important?

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

When you are touring through a HiFi Show it's pretty important - there are a lot of rooms to listen to, and if it does not make a good first impression you may miss out listening to rooms that will thrill you. So in this particular case, first impressions are important.

3. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Just like with music, first impression is very important to me. There is just too much competition for my time, and too many great products to be wasting time on something that doesn't get my attention.

4. phred

phred Forum Resident

First impressions are important.

A system that is (For example) harsh in the top will always tend to be that way.

BUT and this is a big but. The listener needs to be familiar with both the source material and how the system is reacting with the environment.

Perhaps the experienced audiophiles with their “Golden Ears” can listen for a minute to a strange system in a strange room and make a worthwhile decision? I doubt they can more likely they continue to spout the kind of drivel we often read in “professional” audio equipment reviews.

In a recent example we auditioned a pair of the large (And well run in) Harbeth monitors. During the session the entire front end was swapped out, amps, cables, sources – everything.

The Harbeths just sat there thin, reedy and totally unmusical. We heard nothing pleasant in what eventually turned into more than a casual auditioning session. Imagine playing compressed CDs or MP3s through a Plinius into B&Ws it was that sort of nasty lean uninvolving and unpleasant sounds cape (Without the imaging the B&Ws can often do well) Experience would suggest the Harbeths are not voiced this way and it was the room affecting the reproduction. (Both valve and SS equipment was utilised and the brands were all well thought of- Shindo, Moon, Naim and others .)

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

If it's playing an album I know well - then making an initial judgement on a "strange system in a strange room" is not impossible.

6. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

In my experience, you are right: the things that make one say "Wow" are often those that grate after longer listening.

7. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

First impressions with matters of the heart, passion (HiFi components included) should be trusted... but understanding takes a bit more time.
    And one should probably go slow in weighing true value.

Happy Listening, Happy Holidays!

8. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

While I trust my ears and my judgement, I can't trust first impressions if the variables are unknown- room, other gear, source material. Thus, if I am auditioning a piece in my system, where the other variables are known, I can make a more reliable judgement. Even in those circumstances, though, I think you are right that the thing that first stands out as a 'wow' may turn out to be a coloration or anomaly that is revealed by further listening- over a variety of source material- to impose a sonic fingerprint on what you are hearing. The hard part of all of this is that so much is system, source and room dependent. Therefore, although I can make pretty quick determinations of what I am hearing, making a meaningful judgement about it - as opposed to a qualified quick impression- requires more extended listening.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member Thread Starter

Recently tried the Krell Vanguard at home and it had that wow factor that I think I'm missing.
    It did wonders with dense material, you could hear every little detail. But on treble heavy recordings, like Roll the Bones by Rush for example, it was a bit much.
    As much as I liked the amp I'm worried the highs, though they wowed me on a short demo, may over time be too finely etched. I kept asking myself, does music sound this sharply etched in real life?

The other consideration is speakers.
    That Krell might be OK with my old KEFs but when I get new speakers they will surely perform better on the treble area perhaps rendering the Krell as too bright.

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Beware first impressions. Shop at audio salons with generous exchange policies. Develop a healthy distrust of reviews. Rotate your tires.

11. mds

mds Forum Resident

First impressions is what opens the door. Spending some quality time is how you know you want the visitor as a permanent resident or best bud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.