Ripping CDs: Is AccurateRip really necessary, or just being anal?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by autodidact, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds

mds Forum Resident

I've disc copied the troublesome disc and then ripped the copy. Don't know why this works but it seems to.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I should try that, but, how do you copy the bad disc if it doesn't rip?

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Grant

I found that wiping the CD with a Kleenex with lotion in a circular motion actually works in some cases.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Different programs (Nero, etc.) copy discs with different error correction methods. One of them might fix a couple errors on a given disc that the others could not. It's werid, but true.

I have copied a CD-R to another CD-R and had the copy rip perfectly when the original would not. I would expect the same could apply top a regular pressed CD.

5. Grant

Now i'm hoping I haven't chucked my bad CD-Rs.

I do try two or three programs and burners, but, i'm not that lucky.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And who among us doesn't enjoy that once in awhile?

DR.J, nbakid2000, superstar19 and 4 others like this.
  7. Grant

OMG!

8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

????????...............!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. mds

mds Forum Resident

I think a lot of people set the ripping settings very high so the program looks very closely at the disc it is ripping. If the program comes across unusual sections it doesn't like it triggers it as errors and fails the process. When you perform a simple disc copy, the process isn't as critical and will copy some of the warts and all through interpolation process. I am not saying this trick works all the time, if the disc is trashed its trashed, but the disc copy approach seems to be less sensitive to errors and therefore I have been able to get around failed rips this way. I had a New Order disc that back in the day I put a green painted edge of the disc and filled the groove by the center whole with the green paint also. I was in a hurry and when I applied the paint to the grove it also ran onto the top of the disc. It dried really fast so when I tried to scrub it off I ended up scratching the heck out of the top side of the disc. The disc when played would tic at certain points but would play trough. I just recently went to rip the disc to FLAC and it failed repeatedly, so I decided to disc copy and then rip the copy. It worked. Maybe I was just lucky but I have performed this trick a few times, never on a disc so bad as the New Order one was but the process seems to work pretty well. Now I have a scratched up green edges New Order that plays with tics and a copy that plays perfect along with my rips.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Eventually I am going to be ripping my DVDs and DVD-Rs. There won't be any AcurateRip for them there those discs. But thinking ahead, I think I'm going to rip them to ISOs, perfect image files. It take up more space, but space is cheaper now and not going to go up anytime soon. I figure I can extract the streams out of them later if I decide I want just that.

Thinking out loud is all I'm doing....

11. Grant

Again, how are you copying this disc?

The problems I have are not scratches. My CD-R rips, but the rip winds up with that "tearing" sound.

12. mds

mds Forum Resident

If I understand you, I use Roxio CD & DVD Burning to copy my stubborn CDs.

13. Grant

I use dbpoweramp and EAC.

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My strategy with stubborn CDs that are difficult to rip accurately is to first clean the CD then try different permutations of:

Ripping program: dBpoweramp / EAC / CUERipper
    Ripping drive: I have two ripping drives that are different brands
    Ripping method: Secure / Burst
    Ripping speed: 2x / 8x / 16x / etc.
    Toggle C2 error correction (if the drive supports C2): C2 on / C2 off

Some combination of the above options will usually give me a perfect AccurateRip verified rip. It is rare that I'm unable to get an AccurateRip. When that happens it's because the CD pressing is actually defective (rare), or the CD is too badly scratched or scuffed.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I recently borrowed a disc that simply would not rip properly. Different CRCs everytime in burst mode, secure mode unusable as the error correction would hang up and make it take hours. The disc was clean and relatively free of damage - certainly didn't look like anything that would cause errors. Wasn't pinholed or anything like that. I tried it on 3 different drives, same result.

So I went and got another copy of the disc. What do you know? Same exact result. My best guess - just a bad pressing for whatever reason. Maybe poor pit formation. The disc was from the late 80's.

16. Using a different drive to rip a meddlesome CD is one of the best ways get its data cleanly off. Some CDs just don't seem to rip correctly with some drives.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Trying a different ripping drive is the first thing I try. And that usually does the trick.
    If that doesn't work then I try the different ripping programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.