Do you ever not buy a CD because you can listen to it on Spotify?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEVER, I refuse to install Spotify. They're the Devil incarnate.

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

STOP USING LOGIC AND FACTS, THE FORUM HATES IT.

Btw, I am streaming this album right now. If only I wasn't streaming this album, there'd be huge demand for the CD. :( Sorry I'm destroying your career, Frank.

[​IMG]

3. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Lol... I can believe that! :D

Peter Pyle likes this.
  4. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

for me that's kind of like asking "would you not buy a blu ray if you could the stream the same content in vhs quality?"
    if they start streaming in better quality, i might have a different answer.
    i check stuff on spotify all the time, but the sound quality is a joke compared to rebook and higher rez stuff.

bleachershane likes this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Free Spotify (128 kbps I believe) or Premium (320 kbps) ?

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  6. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Why guess when you can look it up? The Spotify bitrates range from 96 to 320, 320 being for premium subscribers.

I pay the $9.99/month subscription which I consider a bargain. The ability to check something out without having to drop $10 on a whim is no-contest for me. I did that for decades, and I now have a roomful of LPs, cassettes, CDs, and a few hard drives worth of FLACs.

I have my gripes with Spotify's buggy software, but from the consumer end, if not the artist's, the model is fantastic.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i ask again:

why?

who are you hurting besides yourself?

you are depriving yourself of millions of free songs that the artists are, at least, getting some compensation for.

you are nor stealing the music.

it's a win-win for everyone.

8. Cracklebarrel

But... But... My collection!

Lost In The Flood and Malina like this.
  9. Cracklebarrel

I couldn't be bothered. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go tweak my VTA.

Malina and Metralla like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm only using Tidal now. No one can complain about sound quality now, with lossless streaming being available.

11. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Well, a man of your refined tastes obviously has an opinion that should be given great weight.

Malina and jon9091 like this.
  12. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

free is terrible, premium is better but not even close to a cd on a decent player or a rip through a decent dac.
    not a spotify/streaming hater, love the variety, convenience, and the price-point is fair.
    but if really like something, i want to be able to listen to it in as high quality as possible (which is cd for the vast majority of stuff out there).

13. Cracklebarrel

Crossing the streams from the Peter Gabriel - SO thread:

Looks like P.G. is among the artists who limits his availability on Spotify. The only album available is Live - but his Spotify profile is also the only one I've seen that includes an OFFERS section to buy merch directly from the artist.

Peter Pyle likes this.
  14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

If I sample an album on Spotify and I like the entire record (or at least most of it) I'll probably buy the actual CD or LP or Hi-Rez download. But if the record only has 3 or 4 songs that I dig, then it will most likely remain a "Spotify-only" album as far as I'm concerned.

15. nbakid2000

He used to have most of them up there but he pulled them one day.

4stringking73 likes this.
  16. nbakid2000

Are you new here or something? ;)

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

lots and lots of things not on spotify, still has a long way to go.

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Don't all you guys who settle for streaming care about the sound quality?

Peter Pyle likes this.
  19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Of course, that's why I have premium streaming at 320 kbps. Can I hear a difference between that and redbook? Well, sometimes if I take time to do an a/b. But that alone rarely makes the stream unlistenable. And I am not going to spend $10 (or whatever) to get a slightly better quality sound of an album I don't expect to play very often.

mmars982, gwynne61 and Cracklebarrel like this.
  20. Synthfreek

I know I'm on your ignore list but I just posted about lossless streaming via Tidal.

21. Synthfreek

How is 320 not even close to cd quality?

nbakid2000 and Dukes Travels like this.
  22. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

I still don't get the points about it not sounding as good as CD.
    320KBPS Vorbis is about as close to CD quality as one can get in a lossy codec.
    I can only think the stream quality is dipping up and down depending on bandwidth. Kind of like netflix and youtube auto adjusts for the internet connection...

mmars982 and nbakid2000 like this.
  23. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It's not really slowing down my collection building. I have over 8000 CDs and over 2000 downloaded albums. Like I posted, it's really increasing my purchasing because I don't have to take a chance on something
    That's the one problem for me. Three labels that I buy a lot of albums of, don't put a lot on Spotify or Beat, ECM, Cuniform and Tzadik. For ECM and Cuniform, the most I can listen to before purchasing is a track on ECM player or Bandcamp. Tzadik is basically 30 second samples on Amazon or Allmusic. I'm sure I've not bought albums on Cuniform and Tzadik that I probably would like, and I've bought some duds on ECM because I liked the one track. I've also skipped some ECM albums that are now making a lot of year end top album lists.

24. Well then, you're going to be a bit annoyed when your driving and listening to your music and you drive into an area with little or no cell phone reception, or if you're on a train and it goes through a long tunnel, or again, it goes through an area with little or no reception. You may be on a plane... I'd love to see you get a stable reception on a plane. Streaming will never be the only way to listen to music because of these problems.

25. nbakid2000

Not all of us have the "golden ears" like you do, Grant.

4stringking73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.