What is responsible for the Grado warmth?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tlainhart, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've got an original, worn Reference Platinum cartridge that I liked for its midrange, prior to replacing it with an Ortofon 2M Black. I like the Black quite a bit over the Platinum for what it reveals and its extremes, but I do miss a bit of that Grado color.

I'm thinking of getting a SoundSmith retip of the Grado. Will I lose that color, or is the color to be found in the winds and casing?

2. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The Grado has an elliptical stylus whereas the Ortofon Black I believe has a nude Shibata profile. The elliptical profile sacrifices some treble detail for a pleasing treble blend. Also the Grado has powerful emphatic bass which lowers the perceived spectral balance. The Soundsmith cartridges are known for non edgy clarity and detail, not for bottom heavy warmth. If you are simply retipping it depends what stylus profile they put on. I have never heard a Grado with a line contact stylus profile so I have no idea what it would sound like. I would ask Soundsmith for advice.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I have my Signature 8MR fitted with an MCZ stylus, which is basically a line contact stylus. Loaded down properly, it retains the classic Grado warmth, with better resolution and frequency extension.

MCZ stylus close up:

[​IMG]

4. contium

contium Forum Resident

Why not have Grado retip it?

5. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

With all respect, I have never experienced a difference in tonality between an elliptical and a line contact stylus. A line contact traces the grooves better and has potentially less distortion, but not more treble. Differences in tonality in my experience comes from the type of cantilever and its effect on mechanical resonance (which affects audible upper treble response), interconnect/phono stage capacitance on moving magnet carts, resistive loading on moving magnet and moving coil cartridges, and the cartridge itself. The diamond? It's neutral in tonality but varies in tracking performance.

utahusker likes this.
  6. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

You are saying something I never stated. I said treble detail was reduced, (not tonality) because of the elliptical stylus. I went on to add that Grados have a powerful emphatic bass which lowers the Perceived tonal balance.

7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I agree, some line contact styli have more detail which many perceive as more treble.

8. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That would be the most logical solution. Any authorized Grado dealer can make that happen.

10. tlainhart

tlainhart Forum Resident Thread Starter

It comes down to money. While Grado offers a really attractive "re-tip" service - e.g. I could trade-in my Platinum for a Sonata for ~$400; a Master for $670 - Soundsmith offers a cantilever/diamond option for $250 that seems generally popular.

Thanks - good suggestion :).

You're correct re the Black, but at least on my Platinum, it's a conical stylus, mounted in a brass bushing. Perhaps in later revs Grado moved to elliptical on the Platinum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.