The Beatles - Bootleg Recordings 1964, "rumours" (Side 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Sometimes, two letters suffice.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

OK

;) Arnie

3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

PD?

:D

theMess likes this.
  4. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

Of course they did - broadcasters regularly recorded broadcasts (as did fans) direct to disc.

On occasion (stating as early as 1938) these were done ahead of time (allowing for retakes but not editing) but often were recorded "live" for rebroadcast in other time zones, at a later date (re-runs) or for syndication to affiliates. That's why we have so many old radio programs still available.

Bing Crosby began pre-recording on tape (allowing for edits) as early as 1947

Not debating the legal issues, just the technical ones

5. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Thanks. I didn't think of that.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Great avatar!

TeddyB and Dinstun like this.
  7. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Thanks. It's probably obvious that's from the Christmas special. I could watch that "Linus and Lucy" dance scene forever.

theMess, jricc, applebonkerz and 2 others like this.
  8. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

The story behind this is fascinating:

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/john-t-mullin-man-who-put-bing-crosby-tape/373927

http://recordist.com/ampex/aes-preprints/aes_preprint_1928_1982-09_birth_of_tape_recording.pdf

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I've asked this question before in a roundabout way, but given what you've said (in bold above), I'll ask more directly:
    What status do illegally recorded "recordings" have with regard to this PD law?
    You mention the unreleased Hollywood Bowl recordings as the only live recordings that will fall into public domain from 1964. Yes, these were sanctioned for recording by the band in America, so I understand them being recognized as recordings under the PD law. Other 1964 performances were also sanctioned by the band to be recorded and later broadcast on television, such as The Beatles Sing for Shell. But according to your interpretation, that recording was broadcast and therefore has 70 years protection from the 1964 broadcast date, I understand that. Still, a few songs from that concert were recorded that were not broadcasts and therefore are unreleased, so will those become PD?

But back to my initial question: What about the many venues that were illegally recorded either by audience members or by soundmen. Are these considered "recordings" by the PD law? Will these become public domain and therefore available for PD releases after Jan 1, 2015? If the copyright will lapse, then who owned the copyright to an illegal recording for the past 50 years? Thanks for any insight. This is the part that has been of much interest to me.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  10. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

It doesn't matter wether it was an official or unofficial recording and if it was authorised or not . If a sound recording hasn't been published ( ie put on sale) it automatically falls into the Public Domain after 50 years. At that point ( in the UK) we all own it , so everyone is free to copy.
    The person ( and a company is considered a person ) who made the recording ( wether official or not) is the owner of the copyright in the sound recording.
    The reason why many recordings were not released is that ,in addition to copyright, the artist ( in the UK) legally has a 50 year period in which they alone can refuse or permit releases this is known as ' the making available right' .That's the reason why it was not legally possible for members of the public to simply release their own concert tapes, ( hence the Beatles quashed the Star club tapes) but after 50 years you can publish and no-one can stop you.
    If you recorded the Beatles in '64 ( or if you wanted to release the Star Club tapes) all you need is an MCPS license for the compositions and you can now publish your sound recording, but remember everyone else can now publish it too, it's in the public domain after all.
    With regard to 1964 recordings ( in the UK ) previously unreleased live recordings ( regardless of source) or studio outtakes can legally be released from 1st Jan 2015 provided that a license is obtained from MCPS so the composers get paid and provided no official release took place in the previous 50 years...now as regards Australia the situation is slightly different ....aaargh! Just realised I'm beginning to bore myself now and I'm fascinated by this arcane nonsense.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Hawkman likes this.
  11. Stormbird

Stormbird Active Member

'Public Domain ' ie owned by all of us!

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Where's my check? ;)

theMess, jlf and Mooserfan like this.
  13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Speaking of 'source;, does anyone here remember BeatleSource; the web-sire that had a BIG BUNCH of out-takes!
    I wonder if it's still up and available... they also had concerts, and the X-mas album up there, too!

15. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

Word? That's not something they would let out.

16. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

There were a couple of websites like that back in the day. I can't remember them, though.

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Beatlesnumbernine is one, and it is still up and running. Ah, memories

are these like crop circles?

18. nineten

nineten Member

12/20/14 and still only faint rumors - but never mind. Wogblog had it announced on 12/03/14 that something is brewing.
    By the time last year the BBR1963 was already out by 12/17/13. Keep your eyes and ears open, there are no guaranties if or thru iTunes again.

Maybe singing helps:
    "Last Christmas we gave you our bucks
    And in the very last days you gave it away.
    This year to save us from fears
    please give it as a free special
    .."
    Happy Xmas George ;-)

theMess likes this.
  19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They're as real as crop circles

20. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Well, here's the thing - crop circles are real, but scientific consensus is that they are man made. So are you saying indirectly that Bootleg '64, which would also be man made, is real? :D

Stormbird and supermd like this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I hope so, because crop circles are real. They were created by humans, but are real nonetheless.

Edit: HarvG beat me to it by a hair!

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

You guys! Talk about clutching at straws.

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

But were the Beatles human?
    I think sometimes we think they were superhuman...but then we listen to the nagra tapes! :yikes:

24. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

That was something he picked up from this forum. So it's not confirmation of even the slightest kind i'm afraid.

nikh33 likes this.
  25. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

Has anybody called the North Korea switchboard? Maybe they got into iTunes too.

theMess, dewey02, supermd and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.