CURT BOETTCHER: Let's Compile a Definitive Comp. of Performances/Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

The thread didn't generate as much interest as I'd hoped it would, so no.

In the end I just sort of threw everything Curt-related into one giant playlist and hit shuffle. I was playing it today, as a matter of fact.:righton:

2. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

A vote for the mono single mixes where possible. Do Unto Others especially rocks in mono!

3. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I've just recently gotten into Curt Boettcher and loving every minute of it. I'd love to get some more. Really all I have is The Ballroom, The Millennium At Last Box, and a few other odds and ends. Definitely love Jameson's Color Him In album and also what he did with the vocal arrangements on Tommy Roe's It's Now Winters Day album. I can't get over the effects on "Aggravation."

4. shoestring

shoestring Well-Known Member

Curt is great, period. I did my own Boettcher Productions CD a while back - here's my track listing, I focused on Curt's prime period (1965-1973)

1] The Summer's Children "The Summer's Long" (APT 45, 10/1965)
    2] Tommy Roe "Sweet Pea" (ABC 45, 1/1966)
    3] The Association "Along Comes Mary" (Valiant 45, 3/1966)
    4] Summer's Children "Milk and Honey" (Date 45, 5/1966)
    5] The Bootiques "Did You Get Your Fun" (Date 45, 6/1966)
    6] Jacobson & Tansley "Dream With Me" (Filmways 45, 6/1966)
    7] The Association "Cherish" (Valiant 45, 8/1966)
    8] Something Young "Oh, Don't Come Crying Back To Me" (Fontana, 8/1966)
    9] Lee Mallory "That's The Way It's Gonna Be" (Valiant 45, 9/1966)
    10] Tommy Roe "Hooray For Hazel" (ABC 45, 9/1966)
    11] The Candy Company "The Happies" (ABC 45, 9/1966)
    12] The Plastic People "It's Not Right" (Kapp 45, 11/1966)
    13] Lou Berrington & the African Camp "The Kwella" (Parkway 45, 11/1966)
    14] Action Unlimited "My Heart Cries Out" (Parkway 45, 11/1966)
    15] Ray Whitley "Take Back Your Mind" (Columbia 45, 1/16/1967)
    16] The Ballroom "Spinning, Spinning, Spinning" (Warner Bros. 45(A), 5/1967)
    17] The Ballroom "Baby, Please Don't Go" (Warner Bros. 45(B), 5/1967)
    18] Sagittarius "Song to the Magic Frog" ("Present Tense" LP, Columbia, 1967)
    19] Sagittarius "Hotel Indiscreet" ("Present Tense" LP, Columbia - also issued as a 45, 1967)
    20] Sagittarius "Another Time" ("Present Tense" LP, Columbia - also issued as a 45, 1967)
    21] Sagittarius "The Truth Is Not Real" ("Present Tense" LP, Columbia - also issued as a 45, 1967)
    22] The Oracle "Don't Say No" (Verve-Forecast 45, 12/1967)
    23] The Millennium "It's You" ("Begin" LP, Columbia - also issued as a 45, 1968)
    24] The Millennium "5 A.M." ("Begin" LP, Columbia - also issued as a 45, 1968)
    25] Sandy Salisbury "Do Unto Others" (Together 45, 5/1969)
    26] Sandy Salisbury "Come Softly" (Together 45, late 1969)
    27] Sagittarius "In My Room" ("The Blue Marble" LP, Together - also issued as a 45, 1969)
    28] Song "Like We Were Before" ("Album" LP, MGM - also issued as a 45, 8/1970)
    29] Curt Boettcher "I Love You More Each Day" ("There's An Innocent Face" LP, Elektra - also issued as a 45, 1/1973)

Yes, I know there's some important stuff missing - I was looking to create an 'introduction'-type CD to someone who was interested in getting into Curt's music - if I was to expand it to 2-CDs, I'd add his 70s California and BB stuff, more obscure single productions, some stuff he did backing vocals on, demos, etc.

Reader and cwitt1980 like this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Curt Boettcher isn't on this album, but apparently he produced the demos that used the same arrangements. It's neat anyway. (Yes, this is Don Grady from My Three Sons).

Reader likes this.
  6. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

This one is a total mind-blower:

7. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Sounds like Curt may be singing the lead here. Great track.

8. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

There are so many but my favorite is "It's You". There are so many layers in that song of weird stuff and yet it hangs together so well. Kevin Shields would be proud. The opening leading into the kick drum is amazing.... It literally feels like all of the air is being sucked out of the room

9. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

I can't add anything to this discussion but thank you all for the information. Curt Boettcher was a real talent, very undervalued...

10. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I somehow missed this thread when it was started so I'm glad it has been updated. I especially like the listing that shoestring did . Some great, but basically unknown works have been mentioned that I will need to check on. Does anybody have the multiple disc (9 I think) Millennium box released in Japan. Does this have Boettcher involvment on all the material?

I hope that some of you who have more knowledge about his work than I do post more. I like most of what I know he's done but I know there are many more I don't know but would like to hear. He would be a great addition to the Ace songwriters/producers series.

11. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Great track, one that gets a little misinterpreted. (i.e., it's not a love song.)

12. extravaganza

Well I guess technically it IS a love song (or at least a devotional song) but yeah I know exactly what you are talking about.
    Might as well link to it (was on my iphone when I posted and was too lazy to do it.)

Mr. H likes this.
  13. extravaganza

And speaking of clearing up lyrical ambiguity .... (and great production)

14. extravaganza

Avatar of OP notwithstanding, I definitely think this qualifies as well

Clarkophile likes this.
  15. shoestring

shoestring Well-Known Member

Curt, Sandy Salisbury and Michelle O'Malley on backing vocals - explains why I dig this so much :)

Clarkophile likes this.
  16. nick gregory

nick gregory New Member

cwitt1980 likes this.
  17. kennynd

kennynd Forum Resident

Anybody have the Millennium box set from Japan "At Last"? How's the sound? Is it worth the hundred bucks or so? I have the 3 disc set along with some individual discs. I also have some Sagittarius discs. I don't own any Curt or Sandy discs.

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"Wufferton Frog" from Curt's own There's an Innocent Face.

19. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Can someone come up with a definite list of all the Millennium/Ballroom/Boettcher solo/Salisbury etc releases on CD and what is unique to each of them?
    There seems to be a terrible amount of overlap.
    A lot of things also seem to be labeled "Ballroom" or "Millennium" when they are in fact solo demos and such. I'm still definitely interested in these as well but I think it would be helpful to have a little guide as to what is on what.
    Any super experts?

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Except for the mention of the aborted Gene Clark singles, I haven't seen any mention of the Byrds. It's Curt singing most of the non-Crosby high parts on Notorious Byrd Brothers. For years the parts were thought to be Chris Hillman, and some are (e.g. the lead vocal of "Natural Harmony," which I believe has been sped up) but most are Curt.

janschfan likes this.
  21. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

What you're asking would require a lot of work. It's a lot to wade through.
    It would be much easier to help if you had a specific question about a particular song or album. I'd be happy to make detailed recommendations, as would others, I'm sure.

22. VeeFan64

Tell me about it!

I want to know what I need to get beyond Magic Time (and I still need that!) that would give me all of the Millennium and Ballroom tracks that are available.
    How much duplication of material would that be?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  23. VeeFan64

Also, the Sandy Salisbury material. There seem to be a number of issues of his album. Which one has the best sound? Which one is most complete in terms of adding in period bonus tracks?

24. VeeFan64

Here's another question...
    it seems all of the Ballroom stuff that's on Magic Time is on Preparing for The Millennium. Correct?
    Is the sound quality comparable?

25. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Does anybody here have the multiple disc (9 I think) Millennium box released in Japan? I've been on the fence about this release for a good while, something else always pops up to prevent me getting it. Does it have "everything" basically? Is there an upgrade in sound? Any negative comments about the box set?

Curt Boettcher is one of the most interesting persons from the west coast in this time period and deserves a big, fat book with all the details. I want to know more and am constantly amazed at how many recordings he was involved in working on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.