Your significant other & your purchases

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wondering how your significant other, if you have one, views your audio purchases. I am presently "in between" significant others, but when I had one, my purchases of just about any nature raised an eyebrow.

Got to the point I would switch in new gear late at night and the S.O. might not notice for upwards of a year or more by which time I said, no it's not new. I recall once being in a liquor store and bought a $50 dollar bottle of Texas whiskey. (I rarely buy anything like that). Caught hell for that. At that point I made a note that the S.O. spent $125 a month on a hair salon and $320 a month for a cleaning lady, all of which I paid for as she didn't work (pay no attention to that medical degree of hers- hubby worked so why should she?) She made no fuss when I bought her an Audi, though.

So if you've got an S.O. that is ok with your hobby and is supportive you are lucky- give him or her a kiss.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I'm a firm believer" in if you don't work you don't eat", and if you do work, it's your money, do as you please.

And if you have a S.O. you sure as hell better have discussed and reached some agreement on the handing as well as the expectation of earning money by each party BEFORE getting too far into the relationship. If that did not happen you may have set the stage for a lot of sorrow.

I buy what I want for audio, period.

Licorice pizza and Mazzy like this.
  3. I have a very understanding Wife. She understands I could have lots of other hobbies which takes me out on the weekends and required a bunch more money. We spend evenings in our stereo room, together listening to music, reading or surfing the web. Hey, gotta go I'm taking her out for diner, which we do every Saturday evening.

4. Nate

Of course you're right. At first, when I brought home our first pair of magnepans, she was very pleased. I think the less she worked the more critical she became of my purchases. Then she stopped working which was upon the birth of our oldest child but that was supposed to be temporary. She never went back to work full time, and my kids are teens. Me having a heart attack and then CABG surgery in the intervening years did not motivate her to work. Lovely.

5. Nate

Enjoy your dinner! Lucky dude

6. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

MY wife goes with me on record shopping road trips. She even know how to read the dead wax now.....definite keeper!

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

My wife works, though I am the breadwinner. My vice is more audio "software" than "hardware." I've spent a couple K putting a system together though, and my wife seems legitimately happy for me. She rolls her eyes sometimes when the SHM-SACDs from Japan come in... or when I drop $100 at the used LP store because of some rare pressings. But it never has turned into a serious fight. I also regularly drop >$50 on expensive alcohol. Usually she wants to taste it.

P.S. congrats for being "in between" S.O.s the last one sounded like... not the kind of person I would want as a S.O.

mikeyt and Nate like this.
  8. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

The way we have worked this out is with an allowance. We each take $50 cash per week to do whatever we want with. I also peddle yard sale gear and the like to finance some purchases.

9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

As long as my half of the bills get paid she could care less what I spend my money on. I'm in a relationship...not a pyramid scheme.

clhboa, MarkO, Rolltide and 4 others like this.
  10. Nate

Yes- we did talk- I went to law school so I was going to be a lawyer. She went to med school and she going to be a doctor. And we were supposed to earn $ and if and when we had kids she would be home at first but then go back to work. 6 months home became a year, then 3 years, etcetera and now it's well over a decade. Funny how I was back at work less than 2 months after open heart surgery. What's past is past

11. Nate

You get yours to pay HALF the bills? Man o man, what's that like?

12. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

I sense bitterness Nate.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Sorry to hear that. That's awful. I hope you are doing a lot better now.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Some people just want a free ride. Shameful.

15. Nate

I'm not sure bitterness is the right description. And I'm past way anger. I just shake my head in disbelief at the capacity for one to develop a sense of entitlement to a free pass on this trip we call life. If that's bitterness, so be it.

16. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I feel lonely every now and then, but I guess sometimes it isn't so bad being single. I can spend my extra cash on whatever I want. I am trying to stick away some money so I have a sizable down payment on my first house though.

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yup, same here. It's a very tidy way to manage the finances.

18. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Jeez sounds like you really got played by your ex... I hope she was hot enough to be worth all the expense and hassle.

fluffskul likes this.
  19. tricka

tricka Member

I catch hell, good thing too....

20. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Her motto: As long as you're not cheating, snorting it up your nose or sticking it up your arm, buy all you want. :)

Nate, gojira and Jeff Edwards like this.
  21. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

It looks like my wife and I are at end of our forty year marriage but she never cared to much
    about what I spent on audio. I was a good provider and never spent money we didn’t have.

The Pinhead and Licorice pizza like this.
  22. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I'm sorry. I pray you reconsider. Forty years is a long time.

pscreed, clhboa and brooklyn like this.
  23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

My wife definitely supports my enjoyment of music and audio equipment. It has even influenced her musical tastes. Peek into her little office and you'll often hear the likes of Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane. But then again, there might also be a Coldplay record turning on her bright green turntable.

Ash76 likes this.
  24. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Anybody that has been ina long term relationship knows that sacrifice and compromise is necessary, but man forget trying to be happy with somebody who can't even let you be happy with who you are.

My wife knows how important music is to me. Financially, we have a "blow money" category put into our monthly budget for each of us. That money is there to do whatever with. I can buy LPs and she can soend $100 on shoes and IT DOESN'T MATTER because it is blow money and agreed on before the month begins. This strategy has worked great for us

Fiddlefye and gojira like this.
  25. tricka

tricka Member

Sorry to hear that.

One thing is for sure, now I have quit vinyl I spend a lot less money. Vinyl and all that goes with it, is a really expensive hobby.

Ha ha - my 'trouble n strife' draws the line at coke & hookers as well....sigh...women are soooo unreasonable.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    brooklyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.