How would YOU fix the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by czeskleba, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Better evaluation of the candidates or a better voting panel.

Remember... we're talking about people who thought Madonna was "rock". Having extremely showy outfits on stage doesn't make you a rock star.

rockledge likes this.
  2. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Q: How can you fix the RRHOF?

A: Easy, get rid of Jann Wenner.

3. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

What does that mean "Hall of Fame" anyway? Choosing someone for that is "subjective" in the first palace. We all have those bands and/or performers we would like to see voted into it. The people the make the choices are no more qualified than anyone here in this forum. I think it is sort of a joke myself.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I think the fans should be able to vote a classic band not already in there each year.

YES, Deep Purple, etc.....

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

The rock period only lasted for about 25 years. While it was happening it was about a time period in music, a mindset of creativity, and a generation. It wasn't a specific sound or style. It was founded on the combining of country music and the blues and branched out into other areas without forsaking that foundation. It has elements of classical and folk music as well as occasional jazz. But it was never one specific thing. It was an era, not a thing.
    Sadly, rock lost its' identity in the end and everything started being called "rock" on the basis of some bizarre stereotype.

zebop likes this.
  6. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

This is exactly what I mean.
    During the last half of the 70s the music industry started exaggerating elements of "rock" and tried to create stereotypes of it, turning it into a parody. Once that happened, it was gone. Rock is nothing more than a marketing word now.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

They grasp it, but wonder why highly influential hard rock/prog/alternative rock acts are more or less blocked simply because 2-3 voters don't like them.

zebop likes this.
  8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I quibble with your use of the term "accept". Switch that to "include" and I can follow your point. If it has/had "rock" in the description, that means it's rock! :laugh: soft rock, folk rock, hard rock, space rock, classical rock, punk rock, country rock...Sweet Baby James is an important album of the early 70's. Taylor, along with, Joni Mitchell fit right into one of those rock trees that that one guy used to draw (Peter ????, can't recall his name).

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, change my term to "include" - that's fine! :)

And as I've said, I don't actually object to Joni Mitchell and James Taylor or whoever - I just still think the arguments against others can be inconsistent.

If the bar is that every act in there has to have been referred to as "(Modifier) Rock", then we gotta throw out every Motown act, right? No one ever called the Supremes or the Temptations "(Modifier) Rock"...

Zeki likes this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Well, no...or at least I haven't addressed what should be thrown out. I'm just saying that, in real time, if a certain flavor of music is rock (with a rock beat, etc) it STAYS rock! Cat Stevens, Elton John, etc etc started out as rock so x number of years later it doesn't make any sense to exclude them. (But anyway, I think we're probably pretty close to being on the same page. Maybe!)

Side comment: a week ago or so on CBS Sunday morning they interviewed Yusef/Cat Stevens and showed an early 70's concert bill poster featuring Jimi Hendrix, Cat Stevens, the Walker Brothers and Englebert Humperdink. On the same bill!

zebop likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

Yeah, I think we're basically in agreement. I'm for a "big tent" Rock Hall - I think there are very few current inductees who shouldn't be there due to genre issues...

12. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

1.Fire Jann Wenner 2. Get rid of his A-- Kissing "Yes Men"! 3. Get Rid of all Non-Rock Acts and tell them to return their Ill-Gotten Awards,They never deserved them! 4. Have All who got shut out in,for Crying Out Loud! Some have been waiting WAY TOO LONG!

Hamhead and zen like this.
  13. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Why limited to "classic rock"? If one was to allow such a fan inductee, it should be based on the 25 year criteria.

But don't complain if the likes of "The Backstreet Boys" eventually get in. You want "Peoples Choice" - you have to accept the consequences.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

The Rock Hall does now include a fan vote component. I'm not sure how much it impacts the final tally, but at least they've thrown a bone in that direction.

I doubt they'll ever do more than that. Zero percent chance inductions ever become entirely or mostly based on fan vote.

I'm not sure why people think having fans pick inductees would somehow be better. Are the People's Choice Awards more valued and prestigious than the Oscars?

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Have Jan Wenner publically apologize for his atrosities and step down

Keep Bruce, Bono, Madonna and Steven Tyler as far away as possible

Make it more about musical merit, not who's connected or cool

Let Pete Rose in already

16. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Put an asterisk next to the names of those who used Performance Enhancing Drugs.

Sean and troggy like this.
  17. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I bet Burt Reynolds thinks so.

18. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I ignore it, it doesn't mean squat to me.

19. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

No rap, for starters.

jeatleboe likes this.
  20. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

Some petrol and a box of matches would probably do the trick.

Hamhead likes this.
  21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Pete accepted a lifetime ban when he confessed to using payola . . .

22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

you seemed to miss the humor in that one, sorry

23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

R&RHoF fan vote?

as I recall Yes scored the highest
    yes we give you fans the right to vote
    just not the power for it to mean anything

Hamhead likes this.
  24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The first fan vote winner was Rush.

The second fan vote winner was Kiss.

The third fan vote winner was Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.

All three were inducted in their respective years.

Bryan Harris and ARK like this.
  25. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Bulldoze it and build condos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.