Should I see The Hobbit in 3D?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by head_unit, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It is being pushed, not for any artistic need, but because the theaters want to charge an additional $3 to $5 per ticket. 3D films are a tiny percentage of the films that reach the theater each year. I see more than 100 films in the theater each year, and I only have to avoid the 3D screenings of one or two each year - I'll have to make sure I see the new Hobbit film in 2D, like I had to seek out the 2D Avatar. When someone like Christopher Nolan avoids shooting Interstellar in 3D, that indicates to me that the trend is coming to an end. 3D has already failed in the home.

One quick Google search yielded this chart:

[​IMG]

2011 was the peak year. It is even worse for 3D movies if you subtract animated films - which are easy to release in 3D, as there is only a small amount of additional work and double the rendering time. Checking my local 21 screen theater, only 2 films are in 3D Exodus: Gods and Kings and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. As the decision to make the Hobbit films in 3D was made years ago, it doesn't really indicate the current popularity of the format.

markaudio likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I totally agree. However I wonder what James Cameron will do with the upcoming Avatar films, as he pretty much started the last 3D craze? Is he going to forgo it or improve it?

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I had no complaints about the 3D in Avatar. I thought it was fantastic, and I can't wait to see the rest of them.

4. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

A false inference! Christopher Nolan hates 3D and has enough of time fighting the studios to get budget to use real film stock and the use of IMAX, which he loves.

The failure of 3D in the home is more related to the poor marketing and failure to standardize technologies. Reminds me of the quadraphonic debacle in the 70s. People who get 3D tvs and know how to use them really like them!

Your chart is wrong for 2014 - there were 19 films, not 16. Not every film needs to be or should be made in 3D. Studios have finally figured that out!

Derek

darkmass likes this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

It is very likely that the Avatar sequels will be the tail end of the current 3D fad. Again, there might be plenty of 3D fully animated films, but in terms of anything involving actors?

They would have pushed Nolan harder on 3D if it was still paying off.

The chart was a projection of 2013 and 2014. Here's one that is not right up to date, but still shows the decline:

[​IMG]

That chart is from this article:

The analyst predicts that audience interest in3D will continue to cool. He foresees 3D showings to account for just 39% of the total box office for films released in 3D, the lowest ratio in seven years and down from 42% in 2013 and 53% in 2012.
    The term "take rate", from what I can gather, refers to the percentage of the audience who chooses to see a film in 3D if it is offered in that format. So even though the theaters have every reason to push 3D over 2D showings (because they make more from sales) people are avoiding seeing films in 3D if they have the choice.

I have yet to find a chart that filters computer animated films out, but I suspect that once you do, what is left?

6. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Nonsense! They can only push a hot director so hard. Nolan knew he had an uphill fight just to keep film, let alone IMAX.

I hate to burst your little bubble of hostility toward 3D, but there are plenty of 3D films planned for release through 2019!

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/3d-release-calendar

Derek

7. Chris DeVoe

And again, how many of those are live action films, as opposed to "we may as well render this animated film in 3D to wring a few extra dollars out of it"?

Feb 6, 2015 Warner Bros. Jupiter Ascending
    Feb 6, 2015 Universal Seventh Son

Feb 6, 2015 Paramount The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
    Mar 20, 2015 Lionsgate / Summit The Divergent Series: Insurgent
    Mar 27, 2015 Fox / DreamWorks Animation Home (2015)
    Apr 10, 2015 Weinstein Company Underdogs (2015)
    May 1, 2015 Disney Avengers: Age of Ultron
    May 15, 2015 Warner Bros. Mad Max: Fury Road
    May 29, 2015 Warner Bros. / New Line San Andreas

Jun 5, 2015 Fox / DreamWorks Animation B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations
    Jun 12, 2015 Universal Jurassic World
    Jun 19, 2015 Disney Inside Out
    Jul 10, 2015 Universal Minions
    Jul 17, 2015 Disney Ant-Man
    Jul 24, 2015 Warner Bros. Pan
    Jul 24, 2015 Sony / Columbia Pixels
    Jul 24, 2015 Fox Poltergeist (2015)
    Aug 7, 2015 Fox The Fantastic Four
    Sep 18, 2015 Universal Everest (2015)

Sep 25, 2015 Sony / Columbia Hotel Transylvania 2
    Oct 2, 2015 Sony / TriStar The Walk
    Oct 9, 2015 Disney The Jungle Book (2015)
    Nov 6, 2015 Fox The Peanuts Movie
    Nov 25, 2015 Disney The Good Dinosaur
    Dec 18, 2015 Disney Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I've bolded the 17 live action 3D films out of 25 films on that list. Even if we count all 25, that is still LESS than the 28 counted on the chart I put in my last post.

You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts.

8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

You might do a little fact checking of your own! You've listed and counted the coming films for 2015 above. Your chart's final number shows the number for 2014! There were 19 films released for 2014:

http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/3d/2014/

Derek

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

gonna see Hobbit tonight, wondering if there is a big reason to do 3D. Generally I have not been a fan of 3D-didn't like it in Avatar nor Hugo etc (basically just liked it in Up and U2).
    Thoughts?

10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

11. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes, seems the same quandary! Saw it in 2D last year methinks. Ironically, yesterday we ended up shopping at the mall and still haven't seen the movie.

12. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

not for me. i recently bought a BenQ W1070 projector and the 3D is great. just watched Pacific Rim and it was fantastic. looking forward to this latest Hobbit movie in 3D when it comes out on blu ray.

13. You should see it in HFR 3-D. why? Because the movie plays and act out like a soap opera, you might as well see it in corresponding visual format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.