Jazz Beat (Part 35)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TimArruda, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This is the CD version of Mobes' MESSAGES- which combines the two Prestige LPs MOBLEY'S MESSAGE and MOBLEY'S SECOND MESSAGE...well ALMOST - one track "Alternating Current" was left off (though it WAS included on the prior 2 LP version of this 2-fer). Missing track aside, this is a nice CD. I have long contended that Mobley's 1955-6 period was the equal of his more acknowledged purple patch around 1960-1, and these recordings I feel are proof of that, along with superb contemporary Blue Note entries like HANK MOBLEY QUARTET (1955). The cast of players here is very strong - Byrd, Dorham, McLean, Barry Harris, Walter Bishop, Art Taylor, Doug Watkins. I was inspired to play this one because I just ordered the new Analogue Productions SACDs of the two original albums, as I'd like to have ALL the tracks in (I imagine) nice Kevin Gray-mastered sound.

[​IMG]
    New arrival for me, my first 3 Cohens CD. "Telepathic" is one of the words that comes to mind listening to these 3 siblings (Anat, Avishai, and Yuvai). Even with clear references to earlier intimate, chamber-ish jazz groups like Mulligan's quartet with Art Farmer (the pianoless lineup that made WHAT IS THERE TO SAY? (Columbia, 1957) - which included the tunes "Blueport" and "Festive Minor," both covered on TIGHTROPE) and the Jimmy Giuffre 3, this trio has developed its own sound, and it comes through even on the tracks that feature guest artists (Fred Hersch, Christian McBride, Jonathan Blake). I like what all 3 Cohens are doing throughout this CD, but it is particularly strong further evidence of the blazing brilliance of trumpeter, arranger, and composer extraordinaire Avishai.

[​IMG]

(btw the pic looks like it could have been taken at SF's Fisherman's Wharf - would make sense since Avishai is part of the SFJazz Collective).

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have the vinyl twofer of Mobley's Messages. I prefer his later Blue Note period.

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I like it all where Mobley is concerned, pretty much, but I just feel like he really came out blazing as a leader in 1955-6 and that those recordings tend to get overlooked, unjustly. There was a relaxed, easy flow to his playing at that earlier point - like he could just spin ideas out forever, effortlessly, the same kind of thing Sonny Clark had on piano when he was really on. A couple years later Mobley had largely shifted deliberately to a less flowing, more rhythmically influenced phrasing which was great too in its own way - but I think sometimes sounded a little overwrought. I've posted on this issue before but will reiterate that to me, Mobley never sounded better than when Art Blakey was playing drums, and he was missing on Mobley dates after about 1960. One of the things I don't like as much about many of the later Mobley Blue Notes is the presence of Billy Higgins instead - who I should hasten to add that I really liked overall as a drummer - but for some reason I just don't find a lot of magic going on between Higgins and Mobley. I find myself missing the way Blakey would have been inserting a press roll or doing something else interesting to break up the rhythmic flow a little, the type of thing Mobley thrived on with his post-1960 phrasing that played so heavily off the drummer - Higgins was much more a "set a relentless groove and ride it and embellish it with hip little accents" kind of guy - nothing wrong with that but I just don't think it was the very best backing for Mobes. Ah well, probably just me.

Campbell Saddler, JETman, Mik and 4 others like this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I pretty much agree. I had the 2 Prestige Mobleys on Japanese CDs, but got the Kevin Gray-mastered discs instead; I have the first one and the second one is on its way. Unfortunately, my amplifier was hit by a power outage caused by short circuit problems on the apartment complex where I live and broke down, so I can't play anything right now, otherwise this would have insprired me to put the first Mobley on.

cds23 and DrJ like this.
  5. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

6. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

7. headman

headman Active Member

Strangely enough I was thinking about this album the other day (why?)...I used to own a copy on the UK Caroline label and wondered whether it had ever been reissued on CD. It seems not.......

8. mono.edition

mono.edition Forum Resident

Wolfgang Muthspiel / Brian Blade: Friendly Travelers Live (CD + DVD)

Got a chance to listen to it today. While I was listening to the first tune, I asked myself "why not playing the DVD instead?", so I am watching it on DVD right now.

[​IMG]

Campbell Saddler and DrJ like this.
  9. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

He was on Elton John's "Honky Cat".

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

11. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Celluloid CELL 6114)

ether-bored likes this.
  12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

13. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

ether-bored likes this.
  14. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

jiffypopinski likes this.
  15. jiffypopinski

Yeah, that blew my mind. Both of the Section albums are great but Foward Motion is sooooo too much! :D

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Dave HollandPrism (Dare2 Records)
    — With Kevin Eubanks, Craig Taborn and Eric Harland

[​IMG]

17. jiffypopinski

My pleasure! You might also wanna consider Sam Morrison's Dune which features Kawasaki heavily. Morrison actually played with Miles on the final leg of his '75 tour and is pretty underrated. At such an amazing price it's also worth checking out:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCJ-9180

18. jiffypopinski

Sonny Clark - My Conception

[​IMG]

19. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Since you're twisting my arm... :righton:

Interesting to note that "Juice", long out of print and the ask is a smooth Benjamin, is available to order on HMV but with a pending arrival in Februray. I ordered it - we'll see if it gets filled.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I haven't heard his earlier music as much as his later stuff so I will go back to those I have and listen with your points in my mind. Besides the Messages I have the Mosaic 50s Blue Note music but to be honest, I haven't really got to know it as well as his 60s albums. One of the things I like about the 60s music is the other musicians besides the drummer that play on them. Yes, they are different rhythmically than his early stuff but I like it. Roll Call, Work Out, Another Work Out, No Room For Squares are fantastic albums imo. I'll always love them.

Campbell Saddler, TimArruda and DrJ like this.
  21. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(CD Widow`s Taste 11001 4CD Box) - CD 4 with an outstanding rendition of "Goodbye" feat. (IMO) one of the best Milcho Leviev solo performances ever recorded...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  22. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Max Roach Double Quartet - Easy Winners
    Max Roach, percussion; Cecil Bridgewater, trumpet; Odean Pope, tenor sax;
    Tyrone brown, electric bass; Ray Mantilla, congas.
    The Uptown String Quartet: John Williams, 1st violin; Cecelia Hobbs, 2nd violin;
    Maxine Roach, viola; Eileen Folson, cello.

[​IMG]

23. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

you need to just go ahead and reserve each title in that series you don't already have....

jiffypopinski likes this.
  24. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Is the general consensus that these Japanese 75th anniversary Blue Notes sound very good? From the new Blue Note masterings that are supposed to copy the original masterings, right?

Changeling likes this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP The Best Of Black Jazz, a 4 channel quadrhonic cd
    A local store owner gave this to mea few years ago. A bunch of stuff from this label started appearing around town, usually going for little $. This comp sounds really nice. Doug Carn has a few cuts as well as Chester Thompson, the keyboard player who played with Santana not the drummer with Genesis.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.