Did/Do you follow the charts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Massive chart geek - would always get the weekly top 40 in the early 80's and Countdown (Oz music show) had a weekly top 10 as well as the UK/US top 5. On top of that I've bought various chart books such as 500 UK number 1's. And these days love going to the bullfrogspond/everyhit sites to look at chart stats from the 50's to 90's. But I have zero interest in the charts after the mid 90's - today's billboard charts are filled with music I have no interest in.

2. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Well, when I was at that certain age, at that time, charts were a big deal...and I'm not snobbish enough to admit it. :p

The big local AM radio station was in our neighbourhood...literally behind our house (I could see it from my bedroom window). We used to go into the lobby and ask the receptionist for a copy of the weekly Top 40 chart that they would publish. Ah, good times.:cool:

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've followed the charts since I bought my first single. To me, they meant more then, but that could just be because I was young and everything did! I always watched the US charts too, where things move slower and records can spend an eternity on the top 100. The US charts generally contained more music I really loved, though the UK ones had their moments too. I still look at them every week. It's not quite the same, but I still look!

4. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

These were my chart days! Spring 1975.

Zeki and Fullbug like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Late 1973. How many of these do you love?!

Zeki, Fullbug and Harry Krishner like this.
  6. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

Once Upon a Time...

7. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Late 1975.

Zeki likes this.
  8. Mixfo

Mixfo Forum Resident

I followed the UK singles charts avidly from late 1963 to late 1969. After that, I had no interest in singles and have not paid attention to them since. But that six-year period was classic.

9. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

1974 UK chart.

Zeki likes this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Late 1977. Mull Of Kintyre's first of nine weeks at #1!

11. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Were you living in the US at the time?

Those weren't the charts I saw...that Ringo song didn't get anywhere - not even sure it was released here.

12. Bobby Morrow

No, I've always lived in the UK. These are the official US Billboard charts though, so they must be right!

Sorry, I should've pointed out that was a US chart.

13. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I was an avid watcher of the charts in the 70s...less so in the 80s and then dropped off completely when so many singles went straight in at #1 and then dropped back the following week to be replaced by another song going straight in at #1.

At school we used to listen to the chart rundown at lunchtime on Tuesday which ended just at the time we went back in to lessons. And then there was TOTP to look forward to on Thursday.

Now?

Haven't a clue.

14. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I didn't realise "Calypso" was the b-side of "I'm Sorry" which was a #1. Apparently after "I'm Sorry" dropped off "Calypso" went back up the charts to #2. One of my favorite songs.

15. Bobby Morrow

Me neither. And I posted it! Calypso was great. I wouldn't have gone with I'm Sorry as lead single myself, but it did pretty well anyway!

16. Bobby Morrow

I used to try and catch the charts on Tuesdays too. Cut it fine getting back to school because of it!

17. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

18. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks for the cut-outs Bobby, pretty cool pieces of music history :cheers:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

You're welcome. It's amazing how many songs you remember as well as how many you forget!

20. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

The Top 100,or any list of popular fare,is not necessarily a snapshot of what may be good.But an accurate listing of what the masses consume can be a view into the soul of the people.Beret,a story song raising a fallen soldier to hero status,came just months after Eve Of Destruction,a laundry list of what was bad in the world.Both songs spent time on the center stage at virtually the same time.This kind of turmoil was happening in the US in the mid-'60s.If one has an interest in history,examining the pop charts of this era can be quite revealing.Are either one great art?Dunno.My guess would be not.But both were indeed popular and in some cases,consumed by the same person. Both remain controversal to this day.

Zeki likes this.
  21. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I stop in the early 90's too. I started in the mid 70's, my first three jobs were in a record store, in college had a music and a business class that I used it (Billboard) in. After that I got a subscription, but because of the cost, I gave it up.

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Used to enjoy Casey Kasem in the 70's. I don't think I ever used the charts to determine what to buy, but I was curious.

Now...no, except for these charts that Bobby Morrow has been posting! Very interesting.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I used to follow the charts going all the way back to the mid-1950's, but I never bought any records because of chart position. My personal chart is "buy what I like!"

24. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

A couple more for you. Think this is 1972. A bit early for me, this one!

Zeki likes this.
  25. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]

Summer of 1976.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.