The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PHILLYQ, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've posted this on this forum so many times in nearly 5 years, I'm sick of it, but because of this thread, and because of this new book, I just gotta repeat it.
    Testify I guess.

I was Blessed. Simple as that. There I was, a Chicago boy, born and raised, 13 going on 14 in November of that year, but it was still summer. The summer of 1972. And out of my transistor radio came Ain't Wastin' Time No More. I had never heard anything that unique, and it just grabbed me. I heard it a few more times, and was hooked.
    October 1st, we rolled into Smyrna, Tennessee...my new step-father had gotten a job nearby, and we relocated.
    On the FM station out of Nashville, 20 miles away, was " The Charlie Daniels Band," playing again, music very unique to my Yankee ears...and I liked it !
    As the days turned to weeks, I heard the garage band across the street playing this one particularly intense song over, and over, working to perfect it...it was Whipping Post they told me, when I went over, and introduced myself.
    That was it.
    Enough farting around, I needed to know more about this band, The Allman Brothers, and I needed to know now !
    I bought the first album, was floored by it, esp. Dreams , which gave me goosebumps, and tears at the same time ?!?
    On my birthday, November 11th, the radio reported Berry Oakley had been killed.
    I was just learning, just coming in to the fold, and here was the very existence of this band being threatened ?
    Well, as time passed, more and more of this music was being made, and played on the radio, when I received an invitation to my first-ever live concert.
    For $4.00 I saw a triple bill.
    The Marshall Tucker Band opened
    next up was The Charlie Daniels Band (from Mt. Juliet right down the road)
    and headlining was Black Oak Arkansas.

BTW, the term Southern Rock...not yet invented.

Blessed. Right place, right time.
    I went on to meet, and even make friends with quite a few Southern musicians.
    No bodyguards, no security detail (except at the huge Volunteer Jams of course)
    Just regular folk, that could make a Les Paul cry.

:winkgrin:

drift, Hep Alien, janschfan and 3 others like this.
  2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Two things: (1) did not know that Gregg was married to Ron Blair's sister(!). Wow.
    (2) when I was in NYC for the final Beacon shows I spent a lot of time
    perusing the book `Southbound' and I can say it is fabulous!

clhboa and Myke like this.
  3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Gregg's version of Jackson Browne's `Shadow Dream Song' is worth the price of
    admission, in my opinion.

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's a tad bright to my ears and both house systems so I'm going to check it in the car. It might sound better in the car though it doesn't sound bad, just not as good as my pink Capricorn lps. ;)

Nice write up about the solo album of Gregg's. I didn't buy it when it came out. I heard it of course but I couldn't handle the arrangements of the ABB cuts at the time. I did buy the lp a few years ago and thoroughly enjoy it now. It's not the Aalman Brothers but then it doesn't say that on the cover either.

5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Check back with it in another ten or more years.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Nice post Myke. I had similar experiences as I was living in the Florida panhandle from 1974-1977 which was right when all those Southern rock bands were forming and playing. We figured out that we lived pretty close to the spot where the hippies were shot in the movie Easy Rider. My barber (I was a medic in the Navy at the time) was also a moonshiner though I never bought anything from him but a haircut. I was only 20 when I arrived there and wasn't really drinking much at all. Certainly an interesting time.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The path was from Los Angeles to New Orleans, they never went further than that.

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Interesting to note that the first time we see Richard Betts is in the Brothers and Sisters credits. This trend continues until Enlightened Rouges were the credits revert back to Dickey Betts. afaict

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe Bill Graham introduces him as Richard Betts on the Wipe The Windows, Check The Oil, Dollar Gas live album if I remember correctly.

10. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident Thread Starter

The credits list 'David Newman' on saxophone, that's 'Fathead Newman' a stalwart of many Ray Charles bands

11. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I know whom he is :)

13. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

While I haven't been able to spend as much as I want to, since this thread began I've picked up three of the Capricorn remasters, brand new and all reasonably priced.

The Allman Brothers Band
    Idlewild South
    At Fillmore East

Now for Eat A Peach and Brothers And Sisters. And if I find myself with some money left over after Christmas, maybe I can track down a copy of the At Fillmore East box.

I'm loving this band.

14. pool_of_tears

One thing that I remembered...the farm that the band purchased in 1972 (not the Idlewild South farmhouse) was located in Juliette, GA. That little whistle-stop town was the setting for the movie Fried Green Tomatoes. Also, the band Capricorn band "Grinderswitch" founded by ABB roadie (the late) Joe Dan Petty shot the cover of their first album in Juliette...also, two dudes by names of Richard Betts and Jai Johanny Johanson were guests on their first album.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

[​IMG]

Why do I keep posting pictures of promo 45's for each album? Because it gives you a representation of what the record label thought was the call out track(s).

Slick Willie, frank3si and RiRiIII like this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

He does, however the question remains why the change to Richard Betts and then back to Dickey.

John Fell likes this.
  17. pool_of_tears

Dickey was a little insecure about his name, I think:

Debut album...credited as Dick Betts
    Idlewild South, At Fillmore East, Eat A Peach...Dicky Betts
    Brothers and Sisters; Win, Lose or Draw, Wipe The Windows...Richard Betts
    Enlightened Rogues and on...Dickey Betts.

John Fell likes this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Hmmm, and why does Charlie Daniels only refer to Richard Betts and not Dickey or the Allman Brothers in his song "The South's Gonna Do It Again"? :doh:

19. Exile On My Street

When my copy of Highway Call arrived on Friday and I took a look at the track listing and saw Rain, my first thought was, "Oh please don't let it be the Beatle song!!"

Dave Hoos likes this.
  20. pool_of_tears

Interesting choice and a wonderful song. Long Time Gone might have been the better choice, as it sounds like the logical follow-up to Ramblin' Man...but without the Allman-ized sound. Just another reason to have a full 1975 Allman show, because they played "Long Time Gone" as the third song of those shows, and Chuck sang the 2nd verse (!).

21. Exile On My Street

Were they still releasing mono singles in 1974? I guess so.

22. pool_of_tears

Why not?! Have you heard the demo Gregg cut in 1985 (on the Dreams box set)? Gregg makes that his own song, and I prefer it to the original.

23. Exile On My Street

Because, as you mentioned, Gregg did a cover of it and I'm not a Beatle fan so I wasn't interested in hearing another cover version of one of their songs. Thankfully it wasn't.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Released in 1975, during the period of time we see Richard Betts credits. As I previously noted, the return to Dickey Betts occurs in 1979 with The ABB and solo -earlier 1977 as Dickey Betts and Great Southern

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

"LTG" was also released as a promo single

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.