Flat / Apartment Living And Music Listening

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

I am curious as to how people here who live in flats/apartments listen to music / how loud you listen to music?

I live in a ground floor flat, with one flat above me. I'm always very conscious of volume, though in thr two years I've lived here I've never had any complaints.

At the moment, the flat above me is empty but the guy who owns it visits occasionally, as I think he's doing some work to sell it. I met him the other day, and mentioned "let me know if the music is too loud". He just said "I've never heard anything".

I'm always paranoid though because I can hear if people are walking around etc. I don't play music excessively loud, but I like it loud enough to enjoy it!

If you live in a flat/apartment, how do you deal with non headphone music listening?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I was always very polite/conscientious, even when I had enough firepower to wake the entire complex. Never had any problems. The neighbors USUALLY were acted in similar fashion, which was nice.

Fullbug and jl151080 like this.
  3. ClassicRockTragic

ClassicRockTragic Forum Resident

I would hate it. I live on acreage and in addition to my regular listening speakers I run from the tape out a line into a 2000 watt PA for when I want to be really loud.

I reckon a really good set of headphones would be mandatory for apartment living

4. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

A lifetime of living in flats has made me very volume-conscious. I prefer to listen to music at rather moderate levels and I have noticed I automatically lower the volume when it gets past 10 PM and keep adjusting it gradually as the evening progresses. I believe I probably play my music quieter than would be necessary to keep friendly with neighbours, but volume-wise listening to music in a flat really is a delicate balancing act. Also, I wouldn't want to be the one to set the standard of what's acceptable by playing it loud.

24voltsdc and nikh33 like this.
  5. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Someone downstairs has a Christmas playlist which they play loud about five times a night. I now know the bass lines to all the Christmas hits of Slade, Mud, Elton etc. (and this is a modern block with VERY good soundproofing.)

6. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I am living my adult life uniquely in appartments. When I was a student I had a small studio in a building with family appartments. I was then in my classical music phase (90% of the time). For 5 years I made dozens of cassettes to delighted parents being surprised a student listens to Mozart and Beethoven and asking me what one or the other piece was. A gay couple living at the penthouse, was bringing me ice cream and classy sweets in exchange.

Thereafter as bachelor and family man music plays constantly when I am at home (7.30 to 9 am, 7 to 10 pm) but rarely on very loud levels. Also it does not come easy to a neighbor to shout "Stop this Mahler" or "Is this Richter ?- I cannot stand him"; of course Coltrane's Ascension or Africa, Kagel's Exotica or Xenakis Persepolis can bother some...

However what I have noted without any exceptions is that NO OTHER ever plays any music around - and we are talking for a 5 million capital where the residential buildings are one next to the other. Living with Music, as we are all here in the SH forum, is still a rare thing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    AJK74 likes this.
  7. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

I've been living in a flat for 18 years and, yes, it a concern...Especially as there is never, ever a sound from my neighbours...I tend to wind down the music listening at about 10pm, maybe a little later at weekends) After those times it's headphones....(but I never play loud on my headphones, as I value my ears too much; it's usually a quiet level)

Sometimes I have put music on quite loud, and gone outside the flat, to the landings and stairwells, just to see how much of it carries, just to check the situation, and there doesn't seem to be much 'leakage' but it is always on my mind...I've got very good neighbours and I really wouldn't want to upset them

I do dream of having some kind of soundproof studio, or a big house in the country, where I could absolutely crank it up....

8. jl151080

I also reduce my volume level in the evening, though on weeknights I tend to go to bed around 930 anyway.

I always make a point of mentioning the volume of my music listening to any new neighbours moving into the flat above me but, thankfully, have not had any complaints so far!

9. jl151080

10. jl151080

11. jl151080

12. jl151080

13. jl151080

14. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I don't live in an apartment. I am in one of those duplex thingies that are found everywhere in suburban America. My neighbor and I share the exact same taste in music and I have supplied her with tons of requested CD-R's. We both blast our music at any given time of day. We usually play it loud enough so the other can hear it while everyone else in the area hears nothing. I have gone outside to see for myself and it seems OK. No complaints here.

RiRiIII likes this.
  15. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I don't live in an apartment. I am in one of those duplex thingies that are found everywhere in suburban America. My neighbor and I share the exact same taste in music and I have supplied her with tons of requested CD-R's. We both blast our music at any given time of day. We usually play it loud enough so the other can hear it while everyone else in the area hears nothing. I have gone outside to see for myself and it seems OK. No complaints here.

16. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I don't live in an apartment. I am in one of those duplex thingies that are found everywhere in suburban America. My neighbor and I share the exact same taste in music and I have supplied her with tons of requested CD-R's. We both blast our music at any given time of day. We usually play it loud enough so the other can hear it whilst everyone else in the area (hopefully) hears nothing. I have gone outside to see for myself and it seems OK. No complaints here.

17. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I don't live in an apartment. I am in one of those duplex thingies that are found everywhere in suburban America. My neighbor and I share the exact same taste in music and I have supplied her with tons of requested CD-R's. We both blast our music at any given time of day. We usually play it loud enough so the other can hear it whilst everyone else in the area (hopefully) hears nothing. I have gone outside to see for myself and it seems OK. No complaints here.

18. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

jl151080 likes this.
  19. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I have concrete floors below and above. Of my adjacent neighbors one is -- hard of hearing and the other -hasn't complained. But I'm not a volume freak. I don't want to disturb people, and would respond couteously if anyone complained. I've had no complaints @ my current address.

jl151080 likes this.
  20. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Sorry for the multiple posts. :shrug:

21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Would you like to move in below me please?

jl151080 likes this.
  22. jl151080

Sure...quite fancy living in Liverpool!

nikh33 likes this.
  23. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

Ok i see your point :)

action pact and jl151080 like this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

My building has eight units, four on the ground floor and four on the second floor. I'm on the ground floor and I think my neighbors either use headphones of never listen to music. My self-imposed rule is headphones before 11:00 AM and after 9:00 PM. I've never had any complaints.

nikh33 likes this.
  25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I live in an apartment. Yes, I am conscious of music levels. I tend not to blast music anyway, and never after 8:00. And yes, headphones are a significant part of my listening. No complaints from the neighbors about that.

About my clarinet playing, though . . .well, they really have been kind. (And I only practice between 10:30 a.m. and 8:30 p.m.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.