2 John Martyn Reissues, Jan . 2015.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Gordon Johnson and rpc_2_uk like this.
  2. Alan2

Bump. Well, I thought it was interesting anyway. :sigh::rolleyes:

3. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Thanks!

Not his best period, though.

4. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip off

I've always had a soft spot for Sapphire. Had it on pre-recorded cassette and nearly wore the thing out during my student days.

It looks like most of the bonus tracks were on the Island Years Box set that came out last year, but hopefully there are a few extras to make this a more worthwhile purchase.
    I'll get them anyway - can't stop myself clicking the add to basket button when it come to John Martyn.

blackdograilroad and Alan2 like this.
  5. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Thanks. Fortunately I already have them.

Alan2 likes this.
  6. Alan2

I bought Piece by Piece when it came out, on vinyl, and still have it. If the bonus stuff is interesting - -I didn't purchase the boxed set -- I'll go for it. I too only have a cassette of Sapphire, with case and inlay 'drilled', so the CD is a must. I hope the packaging is proper, ie no cheap card sleeves.

It's good they're coming out again, where fans are concerned, as the only copies of the old CD editions advertised seem to go for a price.

7. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Sapphire isn't anything like as bad as I remembered, taken on its own terms- very 80s- synths and Linn drums, what guitar there is is synthesised I think- but You Know and Acid Rain, Climb The Walls and Rope Soul'd I find stuck in my brain- and who else could get away with doing Over The Rainbow?

Piece By Piece is a strong album- Nightline, Angeline, Serendipity, Love Of Mine and John Wayne stand out for me.

Think they are probably digipaks.

Alan2 likes this.
  8. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Waiting for the Bless The Weather on vinyl. Great album.

Alan2 likes this.
  9. Alan2

Me too. :righton:

10. blackdograilroad

UK originals aren't that expensive yet............check out discogs...........

11. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

"John Wayne" is excellent but was absolutely wild live.

12. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It's good to have these back in circulation, even though they are far from his best.

I'd love to hear acoustic/'minimalist' demos of his 80s stuff. But JM was too innately musical to ever turn out anything bad: even 80s over-production couldn't bury him.

I have Piece By Piece and it's OK: don't think I'll be upgrading, though. Sapphire, I'll think about - I've never heard the whole thing.

13. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

I'd rather a deluxe version of Church With Only One Bell.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

I've had a look at the track listing for the bonus discs on these 2 releases and compared them to the Island Years box set

Saphire has 4 additional Andy Lyden original mixes not included in the box and a straight choir version of Fisherman's Dream
    There are also 3 Saphire tracks from a 1986 Hamburg Concert that was broadcast on radio

Piece By Piece has 1 additional alternate take not in the box set and 7 Piece By Piece tracks from the same concert.

So between the 2 albums 10 new live tracks from 1986 (19 were played in total) and 6 alternate takes/mixes. Will we see the whole concert released ?

(the next wave of Christmas drinks are just starting to kick in so the above might not be 100% accurate)

Alan2 likes this.
  15. Alan2

I have a UK copy purchased around 1981 - a later Island label reissue, blue and black. It's okay but I've always felt it could be better. Vinyl in late '70s early 80's wasnt the best. I don't usually bother with used - -too easy to be disappointed. :( I'd like to see a premium reissue, like the Nick Drake albums.

16. Alan2

I have recordings of a couple of concerts off air from that period, but not a Hamburg one.

17. blackdograilroad

Friends, are we aware that these are coming out on double vinyl too?

18. blackdograilroad

Funny- ~I bought mine new in 1979 from the record shop at Lancaster University and it was a pink rim palm tree even though they'd stopped using that design in '76 (I think).

....the problem with premium reissues is that Nick Drake only made three albums- with JM I count 14 for Island if you include Live At Leeds and Foundations. That's a heck of a lot of work..........

19. Alan2

Yes, it'd be a task if they did his whole catalogue. But if it was just selected albums - -and Bless the Weather would have to be one - it'd be great. I think with the Nick Drake releases, the boxes and other paraphernalia were unnecessary , even though I bought them.

20. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I just found a mint looking John Martyn album called the Tumbler on UK island about 2 weeks ago....have not played it yet. Not the red eye Island...but it is from the 60s.
    I am unfamiliar with his work.

21. blackdograilroad

That's his second album, from 1968- it's a good record, but pretty "straight" acoustic singer-songwriter material and not typical of the work he's most remembered for. The run of albums from Bless The Weather (1971) to Grace & Danger (1980) are generally regarded as his "golden" period.

Musicisthebest and fmfxray373 like this.
  22. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

There are already several 1986 releases around, so although this Hamburg release will be good to hear, personally I'd love to have something more from the concerts recorded in 82/83 for the Philentropy album. This is my favourite live album of his (probably because I didn't get Live at Leeds until much later).

Alan2 likes this.
  23. Alan2

Philentropy's good. Apart from Live @ Leeds, which i can't listen to anymore due to stoned saturation listening back in the day, I like Foundations, the live album from the Piece By Piece era. It came out again as a CD entitled live @ the Town and Country Club, I think.

24. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Oh well I've ordered bothso much for an easy january

Alan2 likes this.
  25. blackdograilroad

There's an extra 'Philentropy' track [Amsterdam I think] on Voiceprint's The One World Sampler, which is out of print now but can be got for not much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.