The Joy Of The Bee Gees - New BBC doc

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FACE OF BOE, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all Bee Gees fans. This Friday on BBC 4 here in the UK the Beeb are showing a brand new hour long doc, Joy Of The Bee Gees, which is then followed by an hour long Bee Gees At The BBC compilation.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Cool thanks!

3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm Sky + ing it!

4. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

5. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Thanks for the link.
    Some good moments but also some of the most annoying talking heads carrying the narrative along with John Lydon, with whom you are never really sure if he is serious or just taking the piss. Did they REALLY go straight from Odessa to Main Course without any mention of the Break-up , the solo period and then the reunion that spawns 3 number ones from the same session and also seven LPs ????

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. Bobby Morrow

Enjoyed it, but they spent too long on the early years and had to rush through the rest. I would've liked more focus on the SNF/Spirits Having Flown era, which was their career peak for me. Would have preferred Living Eyes to have gotten a mention too. It's a great album, but it was also the one that ended their reign at the top.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd say John Lydon is being serious. Here in the UK the DJ Danny Baker had an early morning radio show on BBC Radio London. A few years ago one of his guests was Lydon and whilst discussing music he said that he was a huge fan of the Bee Gees but that people would never have guessed that because he was a punk rocker. Robert Smith of The Cure is also a huge fan as shown by his written tribute in the booklet of the Mythology boxset.

jupiter8 likes this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

It's always great to see a new Bee Gees documentary.
    It did seem a bit rushed in some places, but that can happen when you squeeze a 50 year career into 2 hours.
    They really need an anthology type project over 2 nights (4 hours) to fit everything in.
    End part 1 with the breakup.

Darryl

9. Bobby Morrow

I was surprised to see Lydon on this, TBH. His genuine love of the group came across, though.

jupiter8 likes this.
  10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Some interesting stuff, but kind of disappointing- it was fascinating to hear about the inspiration "A Summer Place" provided for "Night Fever"!

Too much time on that dumb parody band and inspiration they supposedly provided for moronic 90s British pop acts, and how on earth could they not even mention "Sgt. Pepper" movie/lp debacle? They wanted it to seem as if the disco backlash, not that, helped to massively derail their careers.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Did any of you who saw the doc notice Tony Cox and his then-wife Yoko Ono at the 7:48 mark? I've seen that Carnaby Street footage before so it wasn't too big a surprise to me.

12. Yep. Noticed it right away and boy does YO look good.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've had some time to think about this & think the end should be just prior to 'Fever'
    Say when the moved to Miami.

Darryl

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Very nice documentary with some smart observations by people. I like the exploration into what made their sound and songwriting so powerful. Much more interesting to me than "personal squabble" tibits. Who cares about that? After watching this I watched the Bee Gee's live in Melbourne 1974 television concert. INCREDIBLE. The Gibbs are just so damn talented. They don't sing a wrong note or anything but perfection throughout that sshow. WHAT VOICES!!! The last few songs of the show starting around thr 35:00 mark floored me, they were so good. Wow, to have been blessed with even an iota of that kind of talent. I watched the whole concert twice!

Jarleboy and Simon A like this.
  15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Favorite line from this documentary...

"The Bee Gees should be revered in the same way as The Beatles and they're not"

Darryl

Jarleboy and Simon A like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I respect them in the same way. I think, purely from a singing standpoint, they were also probably better than the Beatles. But in addition to that they also wrote magnificent songs. I was impressed by their concert how every song is a classic 2 minute song that just WORKS. I'm going Bee Gees crazy again after watching that documentary. Glad to see Barry is will around and performing. He just finished a tour. That guy... wow, talk about having it all. But the deaths of family members because of drugs... that's one high price to pay.

Jarleboy likes this.
  17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Does anyone know whether there is a DVD release planned for this? It would surprise and delight me.

18. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Only Andy's death could be attributed to drug use, neither Maurice nor Robin's death had anything to do with drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.