Why is the sound louder from my left speaker from my turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris Desjardin, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member Thread Starter

I can't notice it when listening, but when I record into Audition, it shows up as noticeably lower in the right channel. Is something not right with my setup?

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I've noticed from 100's of drops that one channel may be different than the other, I adjust my gain accordingly to each lp when recording it, it's actually kind of funny, it seems my left is always the culprit also, Azimuth may be off, but some actually are spot on so I don't think it's my cart

3. Chris Desjardin

This is consistent, with different recordings, it's always lower in the right channel... I just want to be sure I don't have something set up wrong.

4. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Could that be anti-skate being off? Anyway, to make sure it's the turntable and not the phono amp, swap the R&L cables from the turntable into the amp. If problem swaps, it's something in the turntable, if not, it's the phono pre (and of course, if that's a separate piece into an preamp/amp, then swap cables further down the line.) If it's the turntable, you can swap the cartridge leads to see if it's the cartridge or the deck's rcas.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Swapping the cartridge leads sounds like a good test. Sometimes cartridges don't have exactly the same output level from each side - do you have another cartridge to test?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This could be a setup problem from within the preamp section of your system. Get a test LP with sinewave or pink noise signals, and you'll be able to measure it very accurately. If it's off, boost it by a dB or 2 (or whatever's necessary) and get on with life.

7. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

If you can't notice it when listening, then I'd say get on with life and enjoying your system.

Gasman1003 and farmingdad like this.
  8. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Assuming you don't have a loose or incorrect connection, check your azimuth. I've had expensive cartridges which are noticeably 'off' when just set to vertical.

9. Chris Desjardin

I adjusted the anti-skate, and it got much better. Still off very slightly, although now I also notice some tracks have the right side slightly louder, so I'm thinking it's just an issue of normal fluctuation of signal in a stereo image. Before the adjustment, it was consistently the left side that was louder by about 2db.

The anti-skate was so far off that when I lowered the needle, it would move back quite a bit toward the outer edge of the record. Now it drops down straight...

Thanks for your help, guys!

I'm now ready to enjoy the system. I had moved it where I could reach it (kids are older now and can be trusted with it), a new shelf, butcher block, phono preamp and cable to my computer for needle drops. My first record played on the new setup? Beck's Sea Change on pink vinyl from MFSL. Bought it on RSD a couple of years ago and haven't played it yet. Supposed to sound good...

c-eling likes this.
  10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Chris, it's those mis pressed mickboy lp's-their mastered all wrong.
    or you need to clean your left ear.
    LOL
    the beave

11. The Beave

It's your cart. Switch it out with a different one and if it's still there you have a problem with your pre circuit in your amp or pre amp.
    the beave
    oh and your up early. still dark here in Auburn.

12. The Beave

You still, in my opinion, have the best sounding needledrop of All Things Must Pass.
    Sounds utterly fantastic. And thanks for all the DCC discs from years ago, I still listen to them.
    the beave

13. Chris Desjardin

Who knew Q-Tips were the best audio accessory for curing all issues??

14. Chris Desjardin

Thanks! All the credit for that goes to the Japan (EAS series) LP pressing - I used an old Technics turntable with fairly cheap AT cartridge (probably $100), recorded 16/44 to my CD recorder. Then upsampled to 24/96 to work on in Cool Edit (the old Adobe Audition), where I used their built-in declicker and nothing else), dithered it back to 16/44 and that was it. Wish I still had that pressing - with the new equipment and techniques I now have, I'm sure it could be even better.

15. The Beave

Yeah, but how much better?? That's a pretty detailed needledrop-heard things within the music I've never heard previously, and that's saying something.
    Me wife bought me a Marantz UD5007 U.Player so I'm listening to It's Only Rock And Roll SACD (japanese 1st issue SHM) as I type this. It still cracks me up the bargains I've run across on gear over the last 6 years. Amazing. Good sound can be had sometimes for cheap.
    And btw, my go to cart is an AT120E-for the money I see NO need to upgrade, fantastic sound and the trackability of the thing is THE BEST I've ever experienced with a cart. Oh and it's on a Pioneer PL-518 that I restored. Incredible Turntable with an incredible motor and tone arm.....Blew my MMF 5.1 out of the water.
    the beave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.