Nirvana- In Utero: Deluxe Edition news and discussion thread (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrius Dobrotinas

Andrius Dobrotinas Forum Resident

Yeah, and I'm sure they would have released it in 1994 if had Kurt not died.

But it's even more faithful to the original LP :)

John Bliss likes this.
  2. Andrius Dobrotinas

Andrius Dobrotinas Forum Resident

It could be so because 2013 mix was not supposed to replicate 1993 original mix :). In other words, that's why it's 2013 mix and not 1993 mix :)

3. canine sapien

canine sapien Active Member

Yeah I thought the 2013 mix was just brand new. Personally I think it sounds incredible - esp disc 1 side 1.

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

wow Im complete LOST!!!! understanding the mixes of In Utero!

I try to make a timeline of the releases related with the mixes

1. the 1st In UTERO was released with the Albini Mix except TWO SONGS "Heart Shaped Box" and "All Apologies" that two songs was remix by S. Litt. it was released on Vinyl and CD?
    2. In Utero it was released on a German vinyl with the complete Albini Mix (so all the songs released than the 1st time plus "Heart Shaped Box" and "All Apologies" albini mix) ???
    3. MFSL CD have the Albini Mix except that two songs, so the MFSL have the same mix than the normal 1st US CD ???
    4. 320 Vinyl which MIX have???
    5. ORG vinyl which MIX have???
    6. 45 RPM have the complete In Utero like was released the first time, with the two Albini songs remix as bonus track + Pennyroyal Tea (Scott Litt Mix)??
    7. 45 RPM Black cover... a complete new 2013 remix was release Albini.

is correct, incorrect ????????? lost! here :help:

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You don't need to apologize Tim. I respect your view on that issue.

But it becomes complicated when you factor in compromises and record company politics. Ironically, the band and album in question had a controversial history so the original LP you have is not likely the one Kurt really wanted released.

Edit: I see Andrius already replied about this issue and provided more detail!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

IIRC, the German vinyl has the original Albini EQ/stereo choices that were changed slightly for the wide release. Every other release is the mainstream 1993 mix or 2013 mix.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh! that is more interesting, so the "original" or early... albini mix exist just in that German? you have the discogs link?
    I try to search around about all that but articles dont explain well everything...

8. SoundAdvice

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

10. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

which is the 1st In Utero ever released in USA on vinyl, the clear vinyl? (15 000 copies) or also exist a black vinyl in USA?

it seems it seems released in Europe some days before than USA,
    09/14/93 (Europe)
    09/21/93 (US)

Im sure that other releases 320, org, 45rpm maybe sounds better, but I like know and have a copy of the 1st press USA, on vinyl.
    I want mostly for the original Artwork, I dont like the 45rpm re-artwork, or the black cover 2013 mix... the ORG pallas have a shorter inner sleeve very bad...

any help? on the 1st IN UTERO ever on vinyl?

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

12. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I think is overpriced... come on! are just 4 discs and a book...

13. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

It's cheaper to buy the regular deluxe edition and the DVD separately. The only thing you'd be missing is the CD of the live concert.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

and missing the nice book, but yes is a good option buy separately.

any help on 1st US vinyl? its the clear vinyl?

15. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

That's just what I did. But I still play the "all Albini" mix all the time. By far the best version of this fantastic album... If only I could find the vinyl. I have a fine vinyl rip, but I would love to have the LP. But listening to it feels like being untrue to a beautiful woman! ;) Need an original!

snkcube likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

Wasn't the front of the box a giant fridge magnet of the angel?

17. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Dang, I totally forgot about the book!

18. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

I imagine the original 1993 version is how Kurt wanted it to be rather than having a 2013 remaster that came out twenty years after his death. The original 1993 version is so raw while the 2013 version is manipulated for the sake of manipulation and cash grab exploitation. There was nothing wrong with the 1993 version to warrant a remix.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    BIG ED likes this.
  19. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

You're not forced to buy or listen to the 2013 remix, nor does it replace the original mix. It's just a nice added bonus for its 20th anniversary.

George P, John Bliss and Sean Murdock like this.
  20. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

The snare drum sounds so buried in the 2013 mix.
    Original mix FTW!

21. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Albini is involved, the guy have plenty of cred in my book. Not a cash grab, a celebration.
    Anyway I bougth the version with both mixes and enjoy both.

22. RomanBlade

It's just my opinion that it's really worthless because you can forever keep remixing the album and label it as an anniversary edition for an obvious cash grab because it adds nothing special to the original. It will never be as good as the original or the vision that the artists had for the album at the time. I wonder if Kurt would have approved of the remix? You know what Kurt approved of, this awesome commercial for the original In Utero from 1993:

23. RomanBlade

I listened to the original 1993 version yesterday and it sounds amazing. There really isn't any room for improvement. The 1993 original version was the intended sound of Kurt so remixing it after his death really is unneeded. Skip the remixed 2013 version and just stick with the original.

24. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Or try both and stick with what you like.

25. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Just listening to the vinyl anniversary release again. Damn but they did a good job. Sounds really incredible.

John Bliss and Clanceman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.