pitch issues with the Mamas and the Papas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

life is out of tune...makes it real.

Folknik, rxcory and TeddyB like this.
  2. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

No reason to get defensive, I was just pointing out that there are various paradigms at play here. You can view Monday Monday with whatever lens you want.

3. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Because they're great records. If someone at the time complained that they were pitchy, and Auto Tune was available, someone may have tried to use it. And that would have been wrong.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

OK...gotcha!

5. Michael

...people aren't machines...and yes, ppl did not think the music would even be popular 50 years later...that included me.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, there's some pitch problems with those songs, but it doesn't kill me. At some point, the mistakes are part of what make them classics. F'in' great songs, pitch or no.

7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

He so out its unreal!

8. Michael

uh-huh.

9. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

It surprises me that no one at the session caught it and thought to do it over. That's all.

Michael and chacha like this.
  10. Michael

I do understand totally where you are coming from...BUT, back then it was a different world...and I guess they were good with the recording. I am as well. I wouldn't want a thing changed about it.

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I can hear it in 'I Saw Her Again'
    Where is it in 'California Dreamin'?

Darryl

12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

There are many many other popular artists that have come and gone that were worse pitch "offenders" that the Mama's and Papa's.

I have a lot of dislike for what Autotune, beat editing and other digital recording tricks to perfection have done to the way music sounds today, and the way older music is perceived.

Vidiot and Folknik like this.
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Perhaps the person who has issues with their pitch has perfect pitch which makes the slightest sharp or flat microtone sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. I find most of their vocal harmonies quite amazing. The only thing that makes me cringe is the live at Monterey version of "Monday Monday" when the bass player hits a bum note after the second bridge, throwing Michelle and Cass way off pitch.

johnsmusicbox likes this.
  14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"As long as I can hear mistakes, I know the music's breathing." - Miles Davis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.