Most significant change to your system in 2014 was . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nate

Nate Forum Resident Thread Starter

2014 was the year I rediscovered headphones. I now have Sennheiser HD600's, Cardas cable, and a non-stock Bottlehead Crack headphone amplifier. This is the first time I have a setup where I listen to headphones not only because I need to, ie, late at night, but also because it sounds so good, that I just want to also.

My first foray into headphones was a pair of Radio Shack branded Koss headphones (HV1a's) with a Pioneer receiver (what's now viewed as classic mid 70's silver stuff!). I loved that and fell asleep countless nights with my Koss' on. Seems those headphones fell through the cracks during one of my moves.

Fast forward 1990's, bought a pair of Beyer 990's, driven off the headphone socket on a Bryston preamp. Didn't care for it much so I sold those cans but I think the problem was the Bryston preamp. Fast forward early 2000's to AKG 501's driven by a Creek headphone amp. Too bright, sold it all. Next stop was 2012, a Heed Canamp and AKG 701's. Highly touted combo, but still too bright, so sold those too.

2014, got a great deal on new HD600's, built the Crack, and it's all smiles. Haven't had this much fun with headphones since my Pioneer/Koss days!

2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I upgraded my cartridge and phono preamp.
    Was: Clearaudio Talisman v2 and Fosgate Signature v2
    Now: Clearaudio Concerto v2 and Herron Audio VTPH-2

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

More music and less gear.

My expenditure on vinyl, CD, SACDs took a significant bump up in 2014 vs gear.

I'm at a happy place with the setup.....for now.....:p

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Wharfedale Jade 5 speakers (for MK S-85 fronts)
    Pre-owned Quad 909 (for using the AVR to power fronts)
    Ortofon 2M Bronze (2M Red)

In order of cost and level of improvement

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

All Rega (supported by Apple, Kimber, Canare, NuForce and REL).

6. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Sony SCD-CE775 *with the mod

-and-

Harmon-Kardon 303c receiver

The Sony does redbook incredibly well, like getting an upgrade on my whole collection.

and the HK, wonderful, very analog-y & warm, couldn't be happier with the setup aside from maybe changing my speakers out, but the ones i got seem to be doing pretty well so far (Technics)

I was totally 1000 & 1o% a headphone guy the first part of the year with no regrets. The only "knock" i got on the above system is that i don't get the detail i do with my Grado's. But that's what the headphone jack is for i guess!

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I added a Groovetracer subplatter and Michael Lim braces to my Rega turntable. The result is a lowered noise floor, better resolution, better ability to separate the music from the vinyl noise.

rischa likes this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Upgraded from Rega R1 speakers to KEF LS50's.

No Static and Rick58 like this.
  9. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

2014 has been my third most revolutionary year in audio.

In 2010 I ditched my vintage JBL speakers for PSB Synchrony 2. The sound went from diabolical to tolerable.

In 2012 I gave up on digital, bought my first new turntable in many years (Rega RP1) and got back into vinyl. The sound went from tolerable to pleasurable.

In 2014 I gave up on solid state and went all tube amplification (McIntosh C2200/MC275). The sound went from pleasurable to sublime.

:)

10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Added a McIntosh C2300 preamp.

Also like the OP, rediscovered headphones with a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's.

Rick58 likes this.
  11. chuck rodgers

chuck rodgers Forum Resident

I added a new pair of Magnepan 1.7's to my system. First new speakers since 1977. Clearly, I don't make changes very often!

ben_wood and AZRunner like this.
  12. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Added a Cambridge DACMagic 100 just last week.

Summerisle and Rick58 like this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No changes at all in 2014. I did not buy a single piece of equipment!

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Speakers.

15. Mike Novak

Mike Novak Forum Resident

The Marantz 6005 cd player. Incredible sound for the price !

16. Having heard the Marantz Reference line years ago when first introduced and loving them to bits, I jumped at the chance when a Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Integrated Amp came up for sale. The seller and I reached an agreement almost right away, and after auditioning it at his home for about 2 hours I walked away with it. And I couldn't be happier.

17. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Went MM, to MC (Exact-2 to DV20x2L)
    Dedicated phono stage (Ph3D).
    Larger speakers (Harbeth P3ESR to M30.1).
    Solid state amplification to valves (Audio Note UK Oto Line SE).
    Mostly in 2014 I learned a huge amount about what makes a sound system musical.

Warren Jarrett and jupiterboy like this.
  18. th0m

th0m Forum Resident

Trying to remember if I got my Bel Canto mLink this year or not, but I probably did. Other than that, nothing. I've stopped working and gone back to school, so not exactly the time for buying expensive hifi stuff. Quite happy with my system like it is anyway.

19. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Sony HAP-Z1ES. Great music player...

kevinsinnott and Rick58 like this.
  20. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

Purchased used PS Audio GCPH phono stage to play new Beatles mono set, too lazy for the double y cable setup that my P7 would have required.

21. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Cheap-n-Cheerful Dept...

iFi Nano iDSD DAC. Quite a performance bump for <$200.

Rick58 likes this.
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The purchase of a pair of Neat Momentum SX5i speakers for a dedicated stereo setup in our new house. I'm using all Naim components for this except for my McCormack SACD player.

23. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Only equipment change was an outboard phono stage (Jolida JD9II upgraded). I had been using the built in phono stage in my pre-amp. Mostly buying lots and lots of music this year.

24. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Upgraded my Avid Diva II turntable to the SP upgrade. It made a massive improvement.

25. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

New turntable, Pioneer Plx-1000, Ortofon Concorde cart.

Lots of new classical lps for pennies on the dollar. :)

Rick58 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.