HI-Rez downloads for classic Rock only 24/96 Why?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by boogieman, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boogieman

boogieman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone know why the majority of Hi-Rez downloads for classic rock are only 24/96 instead of 24/192?

2. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The people doing the downloads must think there's no real difference between 24/96 and 24/192 especially when some of the 24/192 tracks are upconverts from 24/96[the Neil Young Archives Volume 1 tracks are just that btw].

3. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

24/96 is way more than you would ever need. IM O/E.

4. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

Is it because 99.99% of the listeners can't tell the difference between 24/192 & 16/44.1 ?

I must admit I can't and I have "the ears"

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Maybe so they can sell you the higher res versions later on.

Fool me once...

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's because the vast majority of lovers of "Classic Rock" have a hard time hearing anything over 10k, not to mention that the masters are probably bandwidth limited as well.

7. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

For me it's about what my systems will playback. My car has DVD-A which is limited to 24-96, my laptop system which consists of a Dragonfly only goes up to 24-96, my home PC system has an ADL GT40 which maxes out at 24-96, and up until recently my Peachtree Nova integrated amp could only handle 24-96 max. I now run my Squeezebox Touch through my Oppo 105D instead of the Nova, but since I'm using an RCA and not a USB cable the Squeezebox will still only handle 24-96. If I had started out having all 192 capable gear I might have gone that route, but 96khz sounds good to me and the cost savings helps too.

8. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

The end game for files here is double rate.

9. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

I can't prove it, but I believe that the majority of hi-res playback equipment (other than top-end audiophile) has 24/96 as the upper limit.
    Disregarding the arguments between 96 and 192, most people would be wasting their money on premium 192 downloads for playback at 96.
    Equally I can't prove it, but it appeared to me reading around over the years that 96 was the most common re-mastering medium, with 192 and 44.1 becoming more common.
    Supply and Demand seemed to favour 24/96.

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

If that were true HDTracks would be out of business.
    I could make a case for hi-res audio in general, but IMHO anything over 24/96 is overkill and not worth paying extra for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.