Most significant change to your system in 2014 was . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nate, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gojira

gojira Active Member

Like many here, I also was fortunate to rediscover headphones and picked up a pair Audio Technica ATH-M40x's a couple of months ago. Given the daily power cuts here-brownouts and blackouts..they sho come in handy!

2. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Cambridge 651a integrated. Too bad the Yammie 801 wasn't out yet, but I'm still happy.

3. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Acoustical panels OC703
    Harbeth 7ES3

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

For me, the Esoteric K-05, pretty awesome!

FLEMKE likes this.
  5. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I am expecting a new set of ATH M50 cans for Christmas. Have not owned good headphones since a set of $30 Pioneers in 1971.

My best purchase this year was the Emo XMC-1 and the XPA-5 power amp. Opened up my room out of the box. If the Dirac circuitry does half of what is claimed for it, I will be ecstatic! Waiting for Dirac install until the Mac interface is ready.

6. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I made big changes in 2014 to my main system.

First thing that I did was to upgrade power - I went from bog standard power cables to a Shunyata PS8 with Defender and Shunyata power cables to everything.

I moved from Conrad Johnson separates (tube based amplifier and hybrid pre amp) to a Devialet D200.

I changed Sonus Faber speakers to Harbeth 30.1.

I also added a computer based source (previously I only used vinyl in this system) since this Devialet has an integrated DAC.

For 2015 I plan to experiment with room treatments and, possibly, speaker cable changes.

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  7. Sean Sandoval

Sean Sandoval Senior Member

Upgraded all but my speakers and cdplayer in 2014. All equipment is bought used except for my parks budgie phono stage and Ortofon Om40 stylus.

c-eling likes this.
  8. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Same here. It took over for the Olive 03.

9. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

The first external DAC I've bought and kept after checking out the Dragonfly and Meridian Explorer is the Micromega MyDAC. Much more ambient information and inner detail than the others. Very satisfied.

c-eling likes this.
  10. First toe in the water for digital (non cd) audio for me.
    Purchased an Oppo HA-1 so I can now listen to all those downloads that came with various lps in reasonable sq.
    Also added a couple more to the headphone collection, Oppo PM-1 and Audeze LCD3(non fazor version).
    After i spent 4 days repainting our kitchen decided last week that I deserved an early Christmas prezzie and got myself a Fiio X3.

Next year hoping to get the new Oppo PM-3 headphones and probably the portable amp as well.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  11. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

Hooking my dacmagic up to Jriver.Today. An aural delight.

12. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Great cables and interconnects. Vintage of course! (and Very rare, 8.5 years of daily searching to find.)

Next... Nothing really. After 8.5 years it's done.

Maybe start restoring some crossovers... someday. Nothing pressing, it all sounds fine.

13. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

A Graham Slee Solo headphone amp and Grado 325i headphones for my computer based system.

14. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I packed it all up and put it in storage. That's a huge change. Maybe 2015 will be better...

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You certainly did! Congratulations.

whaleyboy likes this.
  16. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I'm sure it'll get better, it must be a bitch having everything packed.

Rick58 and MonkeyMan like this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Giving my brother a much needed good AVR, my old Onkyo 709, and me replacing it with a DC-1 DAC :)

18. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  19. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Yeah it does suck... I keep buying music though, and I look forward to enjoying all of it more than ever before in a few months.

Rick58 likes this.
  20. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I got a new listening chair. My move from an Ikea Poang to a Knoll MR Lounge brought my ears about 5 inches up and removed a chair back from behind them, which made a huge difference in sound. I'm still trying to re-dial in things.

If that doesn't count, the Schiit Loki I added to my headphone system, or the Black Diamond pillows I added to my speaker stands.

21. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Moved from McIntosh C220 preamp to C2500.

22. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Swapped in a Hegel H200 integrated. I had no idea how palpably electronics can impact image and soundstage.

23. Jumped from a Nagaoka MP-110 phono cartridge to an MP-500. While I never disliked the MP-110, I felt a HUGE difference with the MP-500.

And speaking of headphones, I'm waiting for my brand-new Audio-Technica ATH-M40x to arrive. Described as some of the most neutral-sounding headphones currently in the market, which is what I've been researching and looking for.

gojira likes this.
  24. All of my vinyl is currently packed away as I sold my turntable and getting ready for an impending move within a month or so. Like you I keep buying more music........it's gonna be fun once I have a new TT all set up.

Oh, and I forget....I bought a Geek Pulse DAC this year, but I'm still awaiting delivery. :(

25. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

I added 2 more amps to go Tri-aktiv, then discovered the wonderful world of the MM Blue Note, AP pressings, and the Prestige re-pressings, all done in a 'buying frenzy'. No regrets at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.