What should Sony do with The Interview?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rachael Bee, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

It's implausible! It's far more likely to read Kim Jong Unland.... ;)

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is true and while the theaters were dropping like flies there has not been one major VOD or one major e-commerce site stepping forward to show the film.

However, now one such streaming company has stepped up to the plate - BitTorrent Inc (the legit company behind the protocol/client).

BitTorrent Inc. believes that Sony’s best option to “take back control of their film” and not cave in to “terrorist threats” is to utilize the company’s BitTorrent Bundles.

Not only would Bundles allow everyone to view The Interview at home safe in the knowledge they aren’t going to get blown up, but this would strike “a strong note for free speech” while allowing Sony to set whatever price they like for the film, BitTorrent Inc. says.

It would be the height of irony if Sony decided to go this way, given its (and others') efforts to bring back the previously proposed and overturned SOPA/PIPA laws through the back-door (by taking action against Google, but that's another story).

But imagine if they did go ahead with it. Bittorrent Inc has extended the protocol to support paid-for torrents which can also be streamed. This could revolutionize the distribution industry and bring it into the 21st century. It won't happen of course as it would make the MPAA obsolete and take a chunk out of the profits derived via staged releases and exclusive deals in other territories. But can this old, 20th century business model really persist in the digital age?

3. It is really simple:

1. I'd put the premier in Seoul, possibly at the Incheon Airport so close to the border.
    2. Get the Chubby leader in command (Kim Jong-un) a PlayStation 4 and a block of cheese

He'll be busy and happy for a while as it simmers down.

Jerryb likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The collateral damage is spreading.

Following on the heels of Sony pulling The Interview, film studio New Regency has canceled its planned movie adaptation of graphic novel Pyongyang, by cartoonist Guy Delisle.

The film was set to be directed by Pirates of the Caribbean's Gore Verbinski, with a script by Steve Conrad, starring Steve Carell.

Delisle's story is a memoir of his time working in the communist state, where he was sent to oversee animation work. At times a whimsical look at a culture alien to Westerners, at others a chilling insight into daily life in the oppressive nation, its original publication came about only through a loophole in the confidentiality contract the artist had to sign to even enter the country. The film version was to skew darker, set to be 'a paranoid thriller', with production due to start in March 2015.

The decision to cancel was made by Fox, which was set to distribute the film but pulled out in the wake of the Sony threats (even though the film would be a couple of years from release).

5. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Hola,"Very crazy member". I'm surprised you haven't gotten the lock yet? Hee hee.

6. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Countdown to thread shutdown has commenced. 10...9...8...

7. Rachael Bee

Why are some folks trying to provoke the Gorts into closing this discussion? :mad:

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Please keep politics out of this thread. Repeat offenders will be forced to watch James Franco movies.

9. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Damn that just too cruel!

10. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Dr. Evil comments on the SONY hacking.

heatherly likes this.
  11. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Sony should unconditionally surrender to N. Korea, apologize and hand over all their intellectual property.

Oh wait, they already have it all........ :D

12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Not sure how to keep politics out of this thread since it's a Government issue as of a few days ago..

So let's pretend there is no government. Here's what "Sony should do" in that scenario. Again - fantasy scenario - and I won't throw in The Pope, the Rabbi who Bar-Mitzvahed me 170 years ago, or any biblical figures into my opinions either :)

1. Sony should make the film available to theaters as planned on Christmas Day.
    2. Sony's excuse of not making the film available is just plain stupid. I hope the public does not "buy" that woe-fully incorrect PR spin. There are independent theaters that will CARRY IT. They want to make a stand, they want the BUSINESS (in most cases, need the business, and have only one screen and it ain't dedicated to family fare). No Sony marketing needed - the second it hits on Xmas day, the word will be OUT.
    3. Sony should stop stating an obvious lie: That theaters won't carry it. They mean "Sony's preferred CHAINS" won't carry it. What an ugly heard-round-the-world disregard for independent theaters.
    4. Release it to films that will carry it - Sony would not be responsible for anything that goes wrong if they make the film available and theaters and movie-goers make a voluntary choice to carry the film, or see it.
    5. All this talk of Sony "recouping" the $100M or whatever is a distraction. You think this is what Sony's real concern is? The emails, the content, etc. will keep come out anyway... and the Film Industry, and nearly EVERY other business with an internal mail system ("email"@spe.sony.com as real life example) will sympathize with Sony WHATEVER comes out. These private conversations and the content are not unique in any industry today.
    6. Release it TO theaters on Christmas Day - NOT VOD, or at a later date - stand firm with your release schedule. This is not a studio bump due to reshoots, VFX not ready, or meticulously insane (often in a good way - just not for the editorial department) Director demands.
    7. Release The Interview THEATRICALLY, unedited, as planned on Christmas Day. Any other move will not do if you don't want art or commercial endeavors such as an R rated film release plans to be curtailed. Theaters will carry it. Just not the AMCs or the Regals, or the others. Those chains had to make commercial decisions and have made them. They will carry Sony's next Sandler film, so no worries there. It's not as if the chains were denied access or got angry that "VOD" came first.
    8. Bottom line: Make the film available to theaters for screenings on Christmas Day and stop lying about the reason that you "can't".

Jeff

13. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

14. Rachael Bee

I love those North Korean military hats. They're so big. I wonder if they have solar panels on top or somethin' special inside the expanse...? ;)

Mark E. Moon and Mister Charlie like this.
  15. Sony should get a fleet of unmanned drones, fly them over N. Korea and have them drop DVDs of the movie over Pyongyang ;)

ffracer, Jerryb and Captain Groovy like this.
  16. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

They don't even have to be promos... this round's on me!

Jeff

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

What would they play them on? :confused:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

19. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The kerosene powered DVD player is an inefficient device. The picture is so dim they have to watch by candle light.

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's a movie starring Seth Rogen and James Franco... who cares what they do with it? :p

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

" Our target is all the citadels of the U.S. imperialists who earned the bitterest grudge of all Koreans"

I love the North Koreans. They're like a crazy James Bond villain.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, and you should try to watch a 3-D movie on one ... impossible!

23. Rachael Bee

I keep expecting to see a picture of Kim Jong Un with a hairless cat sitting in his lap.... :agree:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

Rocker likes this.
  25. They remind me of Gazoo from The Flintstones
    [​IMG]

Rachael Bee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.