Just bought a Croft. I'm pumped

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thesisinbold, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I'm a tube integrated amplifier owner (Audio Note), and I know the Croft only has preamp tubes, but I find letting the amp warm up for 30 mins is perfect for listening sessions. Leaving it on all the time will drastically reduce the tubes' lifespan which can get expensive if you develop a taste for NOS valves.
    Congratulations on the purchase!!!!

bhazen and gojira like this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Thank you!

When I inquired about the power on/off issue, it was suggested that leaving the unit on would be less stressful of the 12ax7's than powering 'em up/shutting down. But then again, this shop (Stereotypes, in Portland) mainly does Rega/Naim/Cambridge etc. - classic UK solid-state - so, I waver. Maybe I'll post a thread ....

3. bhazen

Well. Early days yet, as one might say; so circumspection might be the best path. In my direct a/b with a Rega Elex R, the Rega seemed slightly rolled-off compared to the Croft(!!). Yet, when the Croft was put back into the demo system, it didn't come off as bright.

Sooo … I want to tread carefully here. After a few tracks with the Elex, the P.I. was put back in ... and there it was - that addictive sound. I'd almost convinced myself to go Rega; the Elex sounds very good - clean, composed, open, tons of bass grip, and (BTW) a nice match with the Harbeth P3's. But after 30 seconds of Croft back in the signal path ... I dunno. Had to buy it.

Here's why I may hold off on outright recommending it to others: having read John Atkinson's analysis of the amp's technical performance, I imagine that I hear some of the problems he measured in the Dudley review. Some roughness in the sound (THD? Intermodulation?) I imagine no-one would mistake the sound for Krell or Levinson. But ... but ... I don't care. I'm listening to Henry Purcell's Faerie Queene right now, and it's never sounded better to me. The Beatles' "Glass Onion" simply crackled with energy. Nick Drake doing "Pink Moon" was in the room with me.

Now, maybe this is a quirk of system synergy (my DAC and speakers "like" the Croft) or something? I suspect this amp may not be for everyone. But for me? Boy Howdy does it ever produce music.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Art K, Shiver, raferx and 1 other person like this.
  4. gojira

gojira Active Member

Thanks for the initial write-up. Assuming both you guys bought the Croft PI new, would love to hear what you think after break-in. Thesis-what speakers are you using with it? Bhazen-have you tried it with your Dentons? Most who have heard this amp, including professional reviewers, say the sound is quite alluring.

bhazen likes this.
  5. bhazen

Haven't tried with Dentons yet; maybe later this week. :) Quite enjoying the Epos at the moment.

6. tricka

tricka Member

I don't see why not provided your wallet can stand the shortened tube life (a factor with NOS tubes), you don't mind paying the electricity bills and and your conscience isn't troubled by global warming. Personally I turned it off when I wasn't listening to it, but it did need around 1/2 hour to come on song. Then again, I've always found every cartridge I used needed a side or two to warm up, so the time coincided nicely.

Happy listening

7. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I only leave my Croft pre-power combo on when I forget to turn it off. I used to have solid state amplification, which I always left turned on along with my Rega Saturn CD player, which I was told would sound like a bag of spanners when cold. (Compared to when it's warmed up, I'd have to agree.) Hence the old habit.

When I can remember, however, I do turn the Croft pre-power combo on well in advance of listening.

(I turned it on 10 minutes ago in readiness for Christmas Eve morning, which is dawning right now while I'm a-yawning right now and the new day is a-borning right now.)

To be honest, however, the combo even sounds great when cold.

8. bhazen

Well, I've plumped for turning it off when I retire for the night, or leave the house for more than three hours. :)

raferx likes this.
  9. bhazen

Glenn Croft (a nice man!) just emailed me - said turn it off when not in use.

HoiPolloi, Colin M and raferx like this.
  10. bhazen

OK, the Croft is a keeper.

I also have a Rega Brio-R which is a pretty happening amp; I think that overall it has a cleaner sound than the Phono Integrated, lovely timbres, boogies quite insistently, but ... the Croft has that "I know I've gotta be up in the morning, but let's play just one more album" quality. The Brio is fun; the Croft, fun and addictive.

Hard to put into words; preamp tubes, maybe? I know John Atkinson was aghast at the amount of harmonic distortion the Croft produced; I'm a guitarist (have a Marshall 1974X amp), so maybe I'm used to a little soft clipping ...

Wonder how thesisinbold is liking his?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Art K likes this.
  11. Cyreg

Cyreg Forum Resident

Hi all, had a Croft PI for a while, very good sound (also on MM)!
    In the beginning I found it could sound somewhat warmer/fuller or alike..?
    What did I find out....:D

well.... you have to know that, like with all Crofts single boxes, also the Croft PI has a phase inverted output...
    ...so for even a somewhat (IMO) better sound > exchange Red and Black connectors on both Left and Right LSconnections on the PI amp

Have fun :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.