Old Car Magazines

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AFOS, Dec 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone else into buying/collecting (American) vintage car magazines? I can't get enough of them. And by vintage I mean 30's - 70's. The ones I know about are "Car Life" "Car Speed and Style" & "Motor Trend". Any others?

[​IMG]

willy likes this.
  2. AFOS

mdm08033 and Vidiot like this.
  3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

IMO the best American car magazine back in the day was Road & Track. I have a complete run from 1960-1970, the majority of issues from the 1970s, and some odds and ends from the 1950s. Sad to say, like many other car magazines it's now a pale shadow of what it used to be in its glory days.

For hot rods, some of the more popular magazines were Hot Rod, Rod & Custom, and Popular Hot Rodding. And though they weren't technically car magazines, Tom McCahill's new car tests in Mechanix Illustrated had a devoted following among gearheads, as did the long-running "Gus and the Model Garage" series in Popular Science.

willy, AFOS and Licorice pizza like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have :
    Hot Rod:
    November 1963
    Feb 1964
    Motor trend:
    Jan 1964
    Car Craft:
    Feb 1963
    Jan 1964
    Feb 1964
    Aug 1964
    Rod & Custom:
    July 1962

Raylinds, AFOS and Licorice pizza like this.
  5. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Motor Life was published up to about 1961, and was in the Motor Trend style. Sports Cars Illustrated was the predecessor of the current-day Car and Driver, and changed its name in about 1961-62. There was one of those "small" magazines called Custom Cars in the late 50s/early 60s. Also Rod Builder & Customizer, which I think lasted intp the mid-1960s.

AFOS and Licorice pizza like this.
  6. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I still have the first issue of David E. Davis magazine "Automobile" from the eighties.

AFOS likes this.
  7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I saw it. Thought it was pretty stupid to put things like The Model T in there. 19th Century rural Life was isolated and oppressive. The Model T was the first step, long before electricity in many areas, in connecting isolated hamlets to the rest of the country. The Crosley Hot Shot wasn't a bad little car either, and was the only sports car made in America at the time. Early Crosley's, with their pressed steel engines definitely belonged, but by the time of the Hot Shot Crosley had a high revving, reliable engine that continued in production long after the company stopped making cars.

8. AFOS

There were a few dubious inclusions - the 2002 BMW was one. A bit unfair based on people who couldn't operate the idrive.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Motor Life,Car Craft and Road & Track look promising

9. wave

wave Forum Resident

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    Dan C and Dave Garrett like this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My father has a bunch of old Hot Rod mags. Not sure how far back they go though

11. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Dan C and wave like this.
  12. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

1980 California Corvette and 1982 Camaro Iron Duke are two of my favorite bad cars on this list, particularly the Camaro. I would drive either one happily, and laugh as my passengers noticed I was flooring it and failing to pass school buses, garbage trucks, bicyclists, etc. and say "Don't put down my sporty muscle car, you're just jealous!"

seed_drill likes this.
  13. wave

wave Forum Resident

Some (if not all) of their covers...

Hot Rod

Also, Hot Rodding

14. wave

wave Forum Resident

Like The Chevy Caprice in 1977...

[​IMG]
    :sigh:

15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I just finished reading through one book, part of a series I guess of "Barn Finds" an assortment of old 30's era upto 70's Muscle cars, and 80's Limited Factory models.

Amazing the amount of older cars sitting in a Barn or a Pole - Barn full of squirreled away cars, parts lying in neglect to this day!

Here's a site online:

http://barnfinds.com/

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

How so?

The all-new downsized Caprice for '77 was a very significant offering for a Big Three maker. And optioned out correctly, it wasn't bad to drive, as long as one of those options was the heavy duty handling suspension.

NapoleonXIV, Dan C and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  17. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

I have roughly 3,500 (if anything more) motorcycle magazine that I collected when I was younger, I used to pedal home from the swap meet on my ten speed balance a box of magazines. I've added to it on occasion if I would find a few my local library was getting rid of. The bulk would be late 60's through th early 80's. I have them all Cycle, Popular Cycyling, Cycle World, Dirt Bike (when Super Hunky was at his prime if anyone knows what I'm talking about), MotoCross Action....

So the dilemma is I've been thinking about getting rid of them and I can't bear the thought that they don't go to a good home. I really don't think they are library collection worthy, the would be expensive to ship if someone bought them, so.... I'd like to find a local cycle shop that would do some work in exchange for them, but so far no luck.

18. wave

wave Forum Resident

How so? It's ugly. The car's before my time so I can't say I've had the experience of driving one or even riding in one, but I do know it has a cult following along the lines of GM's concurrent G-Body vehicles.

19. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Gotta disagree with you, wave. Modern cars are misshapen, ugly-a$$ little cockroaches, indistinguishable from one another. At least the Caprice/Impala looked like a real car, had nice body/roof proportions, and had interior room and comfort.

20. moogt3 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  21. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

Possibly a Ford guy here!
    I owned a 1989 Caprice, and it felt like an old car when I had it in the mid to late 90s, but I loved it! I thought it was cool looking. A classic look, not trendy.

wave likes this.
  22. misterdecibel

Yes, today a '77 Caprice is a worn out old hooptie that's probably been turned into a Donk.

But you say the car is from before your time, and if you're talking about the validity of its Car Of The Year award, you have to judge it in the context of its time. The '77 Caprice replaced a car that was even larger and more ungainly, and it took a few years for the domestic competition to catch up, if ever.

The ubiquity of these old Caprices even today could be seen as a testament to their longevity, as well as large sales numbers.

Burt, Dan C and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  23. misterdecibel

But the MT COTY has been a joke for decades. Singling out the '77 Caprice from the rogues gallery of rolling nightmares on the COTY list seems a bit nearsighted to me.

Vega? Mustang II? Monza 2+2? Aspen/Volare? Omni/Horizon? Citation? Aries/Reliant? Jeez, from '71 to '81, the Caprice stands out as one of the least embarrassing award winners of the decade.

NapoleonXIV likes this.
  24. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

I can't say anything about those K-Cars that made the COTY list. The Shelby versions are as fun to drive as anything I've had. My list of cars owned, in order, with the (*) representing the ones I still have:

1973 Dodge Charger SE
    1973 Plymouth Duster
    1986 Ford Thunderbird
    1986 Dodge Shelby Daytona C/S (*)
    1986 Dodge Shelby Charger
    1993 Ford Mustang LX
    1990 Dodge Ramcharger 4X4
    1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (*)
    1989 Nissan Sentra
    1998 Mercedes AMG C280 Sport (*)

And a million other temporary-drivers inbetwixt. Of all the ones I truly owned, the only ones I wouldn't want to see again are the Mustang and the Pontiac. (That stupid Sentra was a free car that had 300k+ on it when it was given to me and I drove it for probably two years after that. Still ran fine when I sold it.)

25. wave

wave Forum Resident

I post my opinions, not yours. I think the Caprice is the Wilford Brimley of automobiles. So what? To each his own.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.