The Allman Brothers Band – Beacon Theater, New York, NY (2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ridzeb, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I was bummed when Butch missed the show I saw (3/11) as they clearly missed him and I spend $$$ for the tik, transportation from DC,etc. But if Gregg had missed the show I think I would have asked for a refund. So far this run is less than stellar, IMO.

DrBeatle likes this.
  2. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I just arrived back up here in the wilds of Canada after catching 4 Beacon
    shows this week. Tuesday and Wednesday night were fine, even if 2 evenings
    of the Jukes horns is one too many. Gregg sounded fine to me and I only
    caught one minor flub on his part (and I listen for them). For mid-week gigs
    they were terrific. Friday I was actually excited to hear them without Allman
    as I feel that he holds the rest of them back at times. In any event, Friday's
    concert was stellar.....one of the best concerts I've heard, period. `Seven Turns'
    with Susan and Oteil on vocals was wonderful......as was the Dead medley (one
    can debate whether or not that was even necessary). Last night's performance
    wasn't as electric.....but it did have it's moments. The `Les Brers In A Minor/
    Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad/Les Brers' with Jimmy Vivino was superb,
    among other tunes. These were typical Beacon ABB concerts, with or without
    Gregory Lenoir. If they were to play MSG, they certainly couldn't pull in a
    sizeable crowd without some 'guests of note'. We'll see.....

Ted Bell likes this.
  3. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I meant to say that as I watched and listened to the Allman-less Allmans
    these last two evenings......how many bands from the seventies could be
    down to their original drummer(s) and still be the best live band on the
    planet Earth (that's my opinion). There isn't another aggregate that can
    touch them live....

Anthrax likes this.
  4. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I had a feeling the shows were better in his absence...Thanks for the review!

5. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

I saw the band without Gregg when he was sick a couple of years back and while this band is so talented that it can run rings around most bands even without Gregg Allman ...he does have a distinctive voice that simply is the Allman Brothers so no matter how great a show Warren Haynes outs together I would always rather gregg be there.I also listen for his mistakes and his forgetting lyrics and coming in to the song at the wrong time and this year has been better than past years in that regard although you can always count on him for a few each show.What amazes me is how Warren Haynes who plays in so many different bands and plays so many different styles of music and sings so many different songs NEVER seems to forget a lyric or a cue!He is quite an incredible musician

fishcane likes this.
  6. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Unreal. I saw the ABB (probably for 12th or 13th time) last Summer and Greg was fantastic! I've got the live disc to prove it too. ABB without Greg? Not the same band. A better band? No way.

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The ABB played quite a few shows between '94 and '96 without Betts; to me that seems a much bigger handicap than no Gregg.

BongRattlingBass likes this.
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Right, there was this one fella called Richard Forrest Betts...

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

At least Skynyrd has Rossington... :hide:

10. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Gregg sounded off and looked terrible on the opening night. Should have never scheduled this run knowing that he couldn't handle it (but had no problem charging what he did). You must have not have seen them earlier if you think this band is great now. Forgetting lyrics and cues on your own songs that have been played for decades is not the sign of a great band.

fishcane likes this.
  11. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

When the rest of the band is raging, Allman is holding on for dear life! It is, uh, unfortunate that he isn't
    a stronger musical presence. Personally, I'd like to see him take some time off and we could get Stevie
    Winwood to take over. But with the band crumbling, that's a moot point.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  12. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I saw the Tuesday 3/18 show and thought Gregg was in fine voice. The interplay between Trucks and Haynes is the main draw though, IMO. Robert Randolph sitting in on One Way Out to start the 2nd set was amazing, wish he would've stayed for a few more numbers. I think the Juke Horns are fine as background and fill in, but could do without their solos.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

He used to be. I know it caused his decline, but miss the days with the ever going smoke and various Solo cups on top of the organ.

14. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

Gregg Allman was and is a great distinctive singer and his voice is an integral part of the bands sound...his problem these days is not so much the voice but his forgetting lyrics and his place in the song...when he sorts things out his singing can still be very powerful

RelayerNJ likes this.
  15. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

17. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

“as a result of Mr. Allman’s illness, the Allman Brothers Band is unable to perform at the level to which they aspire.” That's messed up. So what does this mean about this weekend's shows without him?

18. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Gregg Allman is one of the greatest rock singers of our time, so I found I missed him on the 21st, of which I have only heard. Sure Warren has a great, great voice, but it will never match or surpass Gregg's, imo, so the show was terrific but there was still something missing, imo. I'm just glad he was at both shows I saw.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I ordered and just received the entire run of Beacon Theater 2014 shows on CD and started right at Disc One on March 7th. The band sounded great that night, Gregg included.

Just read a new Warren Haynes interview at rollingstone.com and he says this weekend's show may be the Allman Brothers' last ...

20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Do you have a link?

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The article has been removed, apparently. Interesting ...

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It was implied, as only a manipulative Press can do. There are more festivals throughout 2014.

rstamberg likes this.
  25. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

I'd like to order a few of the last shows at the beacon from hittin the note but P&P and duty is absolutely killer! Does anyone know if they are stocked in the UK/Europe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.