What will happen to Beatles vinyl prices once the primary collectors of them go?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DarkAudioHorse, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

The South American country Beatles records may be very rare do to far less copies being made. But how's the sound quality on those pressings? I listen to The Beatles records in my collection(mainly UK's) and don't purchase unique foreign rarities based on covers, labels or song listings. I got over that element of collecting years ago, when I stopped buying rare US Beatles records based on their label variations and covers. Those were never played....just collected and eventually sold!

2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Collecting Beatles obscurities from all over the world was made much easier by the internet. I think it is correct to point out that this is a niche market with a very limited number of potential buyers 99% of all Beatles fans do not care about an Egyptian Beatles pressing. Those who do are willing to pay a premium. But it is very hard to predict how prices for individual releases will be in five or ten years.

EasterEverywhere and muffmasterh like this.
  3. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

I'm not sure, but I was wondering something similar recently. With the recent release of the Mono box set I really have no use, listening wise, for the old capitol NM- mono's or the 1980 UK Mono White album I have. I gave them a spin the other day for nostalgic reasons but the reissues are so much better I wonder about their future. I'm guessing they will be sold by my heirs at a garage sale for a couple of bucks a piece when I exit this mortal coil ;-)

4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

good question, or will it be like today, there are those that just like the music as audiophiles and there are collectors for whom the artifact is paramount, will the split be the same of different in the future....?

5. muffmasterh

The 82 mono WA is defo headed for the garage sale, however I suspect there will still be a market in top conditioned originals ( even the Capitols ) , but will that be much diminished is hard to say for certain

Bob M. likes this.
  6. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The new mono box Pepper is indeed vastly superior to my old VG++ mono Capitol Pepper that was my primary listening copy before the mono box, but I will keep the latter out of nostalgia. If it's worth something down the road, great, although I'm not counting on it.

Bob M. likes this.
  7. bward

bward Senior Member

I guess it all depends on how long the new monos stay in print. When the new monos are OOP, what will be more desirable, a VG plus to NM new mono, or a similar condition original 60's edition?

I'm thinking the first press versions will hold their value.

The biggest threat to the hobby, i think, is the number of well made counterfeits on the market.
    Down the road it will be harder to distinguish them from legit copies.

8. muffmasterh

Luckily the high production values of Uk originals make them difficult to fake

Driver 8 and EasterEverywhere like this.
  9. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I think the American LPs were collected for mostly nostalgia reasons...the first generation of American fans grew up with those versions and value them much more highly than later generations do.

In contrast, the UK versions will continue to hold interest for future collectors because:
    • They are the original releases in the Beatles own country, reflecting the original vision of the band.
    • They are arguably the best-sounding Beatles releases from the 60s.
    • Younger generations who were introduced to the Beatles in the CD era grew up with the UK track listings. The American versions may be increasingly viewed as oddities that only a certain generation prefers.

muffmasterh and vinylbeat like this.
  10. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I think that this is already the case outside the US. While many Americans hold these albums in high regard, because they grew up with them, they are badly known outside the US. The release of the US-albums here was hardly noticed. The US is a big market and certainly there will be interest in these albums, but it will probably decrease.

11. The Spaceman

The Spaceman Forum Resident

If the Beatles vinyl market turns into the Streisand and Herb Albert vinyl markets as a result then heck yeah!!!!

;)

ian christopher likes this.
  12. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

I'll take it then!

13. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Has anyone mentioned the Japanese red vinyl yet? They'll always be cool.

14. muffmasterh

but will you in 20 years ??

15. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

First presses will grow of course, as it was with Shakespeare's first book pressings)

16. muffmasterh

hmmm I'd like to think so but the evidence at the moment is to the contrary, prices seem to have peaked for many of the bog standard items and many items from the rock & roll era of the 50's cannot be given away ( again there are exceptions but the bog standard stuff now goes for peanuts )

17. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

But look at Elvis' SUN releases. The prices are still growing. So I think The Beatles are the same collectability lever.

18. muffmasterh

as i said the extreme rarities are mostly immune, but I'll bet you can pick up most original Elvis RCA's for nothing now...

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I'm not sure about price, but I bet that once these albums get passed along, there will be a huge growth in Pinterest posts detailing cool Beatles crafts made from the covers and records... with pictures of course :)

20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It should go down some. I think the best items will stay popular. It's like anything. If there is a demand, price will will respond to that.

muffmasterh likes this.
  21. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Common Capitol Beatles LP's in average condition seem to be all over the place these days. I don't really think they're selling all that well. Especially the earlier titles. Judging by the overload I've been seeing in the used bins. US Beatles vinyl is being largely ignored, unless it's a very rare item or being sold cheap. Beatles US picture sleeve 45's really seem to have taken a hit. They are sitting behind the counters at stores and shows remaining unsold. Especially if they're only in VG condition. Will younger vinyl collectors really want this stuff in 10-20 years? Will they really appreciate the rarity and value of a rare Beatles label or cover variation to throw down $500+ to add it to their collection. Something tells me that interest and level of collecting has greatly diminished.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  22. muffmasterh

i very much regret to say you may not be wrong, these things often sold in their millions they are not rare but they are fairly hard to find in decent condition, however only the true minters are holding - or even increasing - their price, u can now get even ex ones fairly cheaply at auction....and then the question is will the knowledge of these things and their collectability die out with us as seems to be doing for a lot of the 50's stuff ? i hope not but i am very concerned at the possible trend.

23. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

An experienced Beatles collector who grew up in the 60's, might appreciate and value rare US records for their odd covers and labels. But will today's vinyl newbie with an interest in Beatles collecting, shell out top dollar for a rare US label/cover variant for example? Even if it is well documented as being a valuable record? I've yet to witness this. And I'm not just talking teen or 20 something year old vinyl newbies. Collectors under the boomer age rarely shell out big bucks for rare Beatles vinyl. Even though many long time collectors(myself included) have when we were at that age. They might dig the music, but rare Beatles artifacts isn't something they tend to go after.......at least IMO.

24. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I hope the price of the Let It Be boxed set will decrease, so that I can purchase one.

25. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

The Beatles are still really popular because the kids of the Baby Boomers are still relatively young.

After they become older and less interested in popular music, The Beatles will fade.

Glenn Miller anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.