Steve Earle Train a Comin' Plain Recordings reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi folks.

This is perhaps my favourite Steve Earle recording, but I've never seen it on vinyl before.

Anyone know anything about the quality of the reissue or the label, Plain Recordings?

Thanks.

2. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident Thread Starter

Picked this beauty up today.

I'm happy to report that this reissue of Steve Earle's 1995 acoustic album is well pressed and dead quit.

Sounds awesome! Couldn't help singing along.

Nice work folks.

[​IMG]

Geee! and Domnech Smith like this.
  3. Domnech Smith

Domnech Smith New Member

Cooked lunch for him in a restaurant I worked at a few years ago...honest, humble and all around nice guy!

4. Just finishing my 1st listen. I was a bit reluctant to get this as I'd never heard a Plain Records release before. I see it's distributed through Rhino. There is no deadwax information, but I concur that it sounds quite good. Although cut fairly loud, the needles on my McIntosh prove it to be dynamic. The instruments sound very true. There are times when Earle's voice gets a bit hot, but not problematically.

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I think the sound is gereat!!

if I do have one criticism, its the simplicity of the label artwork...... black text on a white background....:sigh:, not much thought gone on here....

it just seems like a quick, 'hey lets just press this thing and sell it' kind of look....

perhaps we have been spoilt by other great releases......

and it's a 'warner's' label record released and licenced by 'plain recordings' which sound a bit odd in itself...

it does have a one page insert with details..... and it sounds pretty good on vinyl.....

I like it, but I also wish a little more effort was put into the label.

RickB

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Anybody get I Feel Alright? That's probably my favorite Steve Earle album.

Mark E. Moon. likes this.
  7. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I got both of these and, unfortunately, will be returning them.
    "Train a Comin'" is one of my favorites, especially side two. It sounds wonderful. But side one is very noisy: full of pops and anything but quiet. "I Feel Alright" is pressed off center. So back they both go. But I will say, between the pops and the off-center warble, the sound is better than the old CDs I had. So I hope I just got a couple of lemons and this doesn't plague the whole run. These are great albums and they deserve great sound.

8. Mine too. I don't do vinyl, but the original CD sounds wonderful, so I imagine the vinyl does, too.

9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Definitely a good album. Steve's got a lot of 'em.
    But Guitar Town is practically a greatest hits album all by itself.

10. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

I went the other order -- got I feel Alright on vinyl and then Train a Coming last night. No pressing issues for me on I Feel Alright, and a sounded like a step up from the CD version I had (especially on I Feel Alright, so things in there I had not noticed before).

I read in one of his interviews for his new record that the rest of his catalogue is going to be released on vinyl over the coming year -- paraphrasing, but he noticed he sold out of vinyl on his last tour, so there's a demand.

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Plain have a reputation for cutting from CD - explains the comments about loud mastering.

12. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

There is nothing about the source, but I have read that as well, specifically for the Black Crowes Southern Harmony release they did. I have not done a side by side comparison, but first listen sounded better than my CD version for I Feel Alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.