Favorite new show: Orphan Black on BBC America

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mazzy, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There have been some really great examples of "clone swapping" already over the past two seasons, with my personal favourites being Helena playing Sarah playing Beth (!!) from the first season, Sarah playing Cosima from early in season two and Rachel playing Sarah later on - as the show goes on, I've found that it's easier to pick up who each clone really is, even when they're posing as another. I don't ever watch an episode consciously thinking that it's one person behind each of these roles... you really do have to remind yourself that each and every clone is just Tatiana Maslany, which makes her latest Emmy snub all the more frustrating.

P.S. Did anyone else notice that the two men stood with Dr. Leekie outside the DYAD building when Sarah is playing Cosima are Graeme Manson and John Fawcett, the co-creators of Orphan Black?

2. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Tatiana Maslany should have been nominated for an Emmy.

jdrueke likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes to this. I wonder if the second season was better if that would have happened.

4. chacha

Although Homeland was weak this season and Claire Danes still got nominated.

5. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Great show. I liked Season 2 quite a bit. Let's hope they have a planned story arc and that we get to see a conclusion. The series can really go in any direction.

6. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I just started this series (so I'm not reading ANYTHING here in the thread just yet ;)), but 4 episodes in I'm already hooked. Tatiana Maslany is a great lead, everyone else is casted well, good script, love the ambient music cues. Recommend!

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Welcome to the Tatiana Maslany appreciation club! :)

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Absolutely! I liked her right from the start. As I get further into the show, she's doing a heck of a job with all the roles.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Production has kicked off on season 3. Orphan Black is currently filming in Toronto, and is scheduled to continue through March, with an eye on a spring 2015 season 3 debut.

mj_patrick and Encuentro like this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I love this show! It sucks having to wait so long between seasons. Tatiana Maslany is amazing! She's so good that I almost forget it's the same actress playing all of those parts. Each character is completely believable. She should have been nominated for an Emmy. I wonder if an actress can be nominated more that once for playing multiple characters in the same show. Best Actress for Sarah and Best Supporting Actress for Cosima or Alison. They would never actually do that, but I wonder if it's possible.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  11. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm less excited about Season 3 figuring Tatiana Maslany may have a reduced role now that the male clones have been introduced.

I don't think they can ever top Season 1.

12. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I finished the second season, all in all a great series (I can read this thread now ;)). For what it's worth, I haven't held viewing marathons to find out what happens next like that since Breaking Bad. That Tatiana Maslany has not been at least nominated for an emmy is just criminal and reminds me why I ignore them anyway. What, is the show too British or obscure for them or something? For shame.

I am really looking forward to Season Three. I'll be... beside myself when that happens.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The word is that series 3 will air on BBC America April 18, 2015.

Here's brief trailer:

Encuentro likes this.
  14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It is actually not that British at all. Maybe it's too Canadian? :laugh: Awards or not, I am excited to have a start date for season three and hope it does well enough to last another couple of seasons.

Encuentro likes this.
  15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just watched both seasons on Netflix in 4 nights. Amazing stuff. Though the second season is kinda incoherent in structure, I still enjoyed it a lot and can't wait for season 3.

It's really amazing how Maslany manages to give every character a unique "feel", the different accents, facial expressions, body language.
    That impressed me the most. You could still recognise the original character in these scenes. When Sarah impersonates Cosima or Alison, you can still tell a difference. That woman is one hell of an actor.

And the interaction of the different clones on screen couldn't look any more natural. They even touch each other. Not bad for a TV show.

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another trailer has surfaced, again very short:

Encuentro likes this.
  17. chacha

I loved season 1 but after season 2 I don't have high hopes for 3.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The drip-drip of trailer teasers goes on. Here is the latest:

And in further developments, we now have The Orphan Black Fashion Collection.

What do you get the clone who has everything? Hot Topic aims to answer that quandary with a fashion collection inspired by Orphan Black. The new clothing line will be sold exclusively in Hot Topic stores for 'sestras' who just can’t wait to declare their Clone Club allegiance. The collection features designs based on the four main clone characters played by Tatiana Maslany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrHPEeNPvto

19. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Just finished Season 2 and loved it (though I didn't care for the fire extinguisher thing, it would've only worked if everything just happened to line up properly, which of course happened).

Looking forward to Season 3 starting in a couple of weeks. It's a fascinating show and will be interesting to see where the new season goes, with the introduction of the male clones. And it was funny to see Donnie actually turn into a cool guy.

I think this is the complete list of female clones so far:
    Sarah Manning
    Beth Childs
    Katya
    Cosima
    Alison
    Helena
    Rachel
    Bearded Tony
    Jennifer (swim coach, they did the autopsy on her)
    Charlotte (young clone)

20. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Bump.

Season 3 starts on Saturday. I can't wait!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's been nearly a year since I watched the season 2 finale. I've forgotten most of it. As a result, I was pretty lost watching tonight's episode. I probably should have rewatched season 2 before watching tonight's episode. I'm sure it will all come back to me as the season progresses.

22. chacha

It's confusing but I enjoyed tonight's episode. Tatiana is amazingly good. Some of it is ridiculous and the gorgeous French woman is terrible and silly music runs through every second of the show. But I had fun watching it!

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I didn't have a lot of trouble remembering the plot points from the previous season, it's just some of the character names that I had trouble remembering (not the clones, obviously). The second half of the ep really picked up steam and made for an enjoyable season premiere.

Encuentro and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wow ep2 really ramps things up several notches. There's something happening in every scene, leaving you breathless by the end.

...Mild spoiler...

Since this is a show about clones, I loved the nod to Blade Runner where the clone is asked to answer formal logic questions while being scanned by some kind of device to attest his functional sanity. Terrific ep!

jpelg and Encuentro like this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Agreed. I was a little lost last week, but it all started to come back to me this week. Very good episode!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.