Disney's "The reluctant Dragon"... great DVD (and blu-ray)!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fjhuerta, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I just watched DVD #1 of the "Behind the Studios" tin can from the DIsney's Legacy set.

My wife and me were very impressed. The Disney Studio Tour is absolutely superb... and The Reluctant Dragon was a very interesting feature into what makes a cartoon tick.

The most amazing thing was the sound effects department... those people were absolutely incredible! The whole cartoon production thing is amazingly detailed.

When I finished watching the DVD, all I could think was that we lost a lot when digital sound effects and animation were introduced. The people depicted on the DVD were absolute masters of what they did - and inventive, creative, and warm as kids.

I hope Pixar can keep the flame alive.

2. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

That's great Javier. Did you just pick that DVD up? If you did I'm surprised that you were able to find it, since all of the Disney Treasures titles that were released last year are already out of print. That particular title is one of my favorites since I had seen short segments of what's in that film over the years on the Wonderful World of Disney and various videos showing behind the scenes work at the studio. Can't wait for the next batch of titles coming out in May!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

They recently released the whole "Disney Treasures" series without the tins in a box set...It's available at Costco...
    Here's the link:)

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?...31&subid=4202&hierid=4224&prdid=10036909&log=

4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Jeff, I bought it more than a year ago, yet I hadn't opened it. I didn't think about buying every tin can DVD (now I regret the decision). I must say the Disneyland DVD and this one are my favourites (OK, the Mickey Mouse in Black and White is another amazing set).

I really, really, REALLY love those DVD's. And I can't wait to see the Donald Duck tin can DVD! :edthumbs:

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I still see theReluctant Dragon tin out at Disneyland all the time. It's in the Disneyana store and others out there. I'm pretty sure they mail order if anyone is looking for it.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Just saw this on HD via Turner Classic Movies. Holy, cow, what a great transfer/restoration/etc. Beautiful quality and beautiful work by all involved, "then" and now. I was blown away by how good this looked.

forthlin and guy incognito like this.
  7. MLutthans

By the way, that humongous multiplane camera is on display at the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. Well worth the trip. (My wife and I spent over 5 hours there, and could have easily done much longer, had we not had other commitments.)

sparkydog likes this.
  8. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I was just watching this on TCM too. It kinda starts wearing a little thin during Baby Weems IMO. It was pretty cool seeing Uncle Walt, having Clarence Nash doing Donald Duck and watching Robert Benchley mug for the camera!

forthlin likes this.
  9. MLutthans

The picture and sound quality, though! Amazing, IMO.

10. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

It was finally released on Blu-Ray as a special feature (!) on the Ichabod and Mr. Toad disc. Worth picking up.

forthlin and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.