The Allman Brothers Band Album by Album Thread (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PHILLYQ, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Come back when you have the time. I am getting the feeling you will not be the only member to not view the thread from here on. Oh well.

John Fell likes this.
  2. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

I for one will follow this thread now as this is the time I started getting exposed to the ABB and their fall is as intriguing to me as their many triumphs.
    Part if this band's charm is how they have made some crazy moves, appeared to be down for the count, yet somehow got their act together after many folks gave up on them.
    Sort of like another group RRB has done an extensive thread on...

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

That is true. :righton:

4. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I'll be here until the end. I never got a chance to see the Allman's live until the 90's when I hit my 20's so that is a special decade for me. However, from this point forward I don't think I'll be on any sort of purchasing spree filling in any gaps as I think I have it all covered from here.

5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

12. CharlieG

CharlieG Active Member

I'm very interested in your reviews of the rest of their albums. I'll be following.

highway and Rose River Bear like this.
  13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'll hang in there until the Arista albums. Then I'll return.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Are you sure? I haven't seen the movie since the seventies but that's not what I remember. That doesn't make me right but I'm curious now.

15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks for that. I got a warm feeling hearing Butch talk about those days. I got to go over to his house with some friends of my roommate when we were visiting in Tallahassee. It was a jam session so I got to play a little guitar with Butch and the guys. I was as nervous as a whore in church but Butch couldn't have been more warm or welcoming to everyone. This was during the short phase when the band was inactive. Butch was taking tympani lessons and teaching a class on how to survive the rock and roll business. I ended up helping Butch pack his drums in his station wagon after the jam as he was off to another gig. I found a drum stick that was damaged that had the name Allman Brothers Band printed on it. I told Butch I hated to pull a fan thing on him but could I have that broken stick? Of course he gave it to me. What use was it to him? It was a good ending to a great day in this fan's life.

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I didn't listen or buy the Arista years and pretty much ignored them during that phase. It wasn't until Derrick was in the band that I started hearing about the revitalization of the band. I'm not saying this music coming up is not worthy of my attention or anyone else. I plan on staying for that exact reason. I don't know $hit about that part of their career other than what the album covers look like. I just won't be able to offer much critique. I can read though.

highway likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I recall that when "Highway Call" being very disappointed. Why? BecauseI wanted a heavy guitar kick ass record. Which it wasn't.

My narrow minded loss.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My favorite film since the theater, twice, in 1969. Have since owned VHS, all the different DVDs, the Blu ray, the screenplay paperback, and many, many posters.
    The journey, and the marijuana, and many of the actors ( like the diner ) are all real. 100% genuine.

The film ends in Krotz Springs, Louisiana : http://www.mrzip66.com/2009/04/20/route-from-the-movie-easy-rider-map/

19. Exile On My Street

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Likewise, I'll be here until the end. Each album, with the exception of Peakin' At The Beacon, has something to offer. That album was just a bad idea all around...more on that later!

Yes...even Win, Lose or Draw, Reach For The Sky and Brothers Of The Road have their bright spots.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  21. Exile On My Street

Shoot, I forgot about the latter two..My spending may not be done. I used to have them both on one of those two-fer cassettes which is on CD now.

You forgot to mention Enlightened Rogues. I enjoy that one as well as WL or D.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's late here...I did forget about Rogues.

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  24. Exile On My Street

I wouldn't mind having the Stony Brook release being I live ten minutes from there. It's kind of mind blowing that a band as prestigious as the Allman Brothers played there when these days they no longer hold concerts.

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Woah, I bow to the master. If you're not sure, we're in trouble. I can't remember what led us (there was a group watching it on TV in the mid 1970s) to that conclusion that it ended in Northern Florida. I was hanging out with a bunch of guys from the East Coast, NYC and Boston and they were not happy where we were living as we were all in the Navy. So that was just one more strike against the place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.