Neil Young readies Pono music service for expansion Part 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stereoptic, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I agree that the benefits of high-res are more theoretical than actual. I also believe that there are some actual (although slight) benefits for some properly done high-res. The biggest difference though is when the high-res version gets special mastering treatment.

When I think of high-res I think of 24/88.2 and above. 24/44.1 and 24/48 are just higher than CD res rather than high-res. The distinctions do get confusing. And I haven't yet managed to convert the world over to my standard way of thinking. I do see (and have purchased) "high-res" that is only 24/44.1.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

it's good that archives are sold through pono. Guess I would be able to afford them now instead of buying an enormously expensive box set.

3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Why
    Which is the actual price on Pono?

4. Heart of Gold

Why

5. Heart of Gold

Why

6. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

well, haven't seen it yet... somehow I have trouble registering the account. But I hope it will be cheaper than the physical edition.

7. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

well, haven't seen it yet... somehow I have trouble registering the account. But I hope it will be cheaper than the physical edition.

8. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I don't know but I hope it will be lower than 300 or 600 bucks that the used ones new ones respectively are selling for right now.

9. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I don't know but I hope it will be lower than 300 or 600 bucks that the used ones new ones respectively are selling for right now.

10. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

11. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

geez.. something went on terribly wrong. the message was not posting even after the page was refreshed. mods, feel free to delete the redundant messages.

12. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

Can people who didn't donate through Kickstarter purchase music there yet? If not, does anyone know when?

13. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

So what you are saying is that compared to the influence of the gear that is used, a mastering engineer or a producer on a recording the question of high-rez is negligible?

14. Heart of Gold

A download isn't comparable with a boxset. Anyway You can get the cd version at 90-105 euros and the DVD version at 102 on Amazon It. The Blu-Ray boxset is really an archival collection and I Had paid it 250 euros. Also a Hi-rez isn't comparable if not for the audio quality and the possibility/practicity of playing it everywhere. This is the best advantage of the Hi-rez.

15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

No. Probably when it's out of beta. Still needs a lot of work so probably not til at least January sometime if not later. Nothing has been stated.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Nobody has satisfactorily proved to me that there's a difference between a Red Book CD and a high-res CD made from the exact same master. In other words, if you record and mix at 192k, the downsample to CD and release to SACD from the original 192k master, I don't think there's much of a difference there at all.

That makes absolute sense to me.

(BTW, I just had a ham sandwich for lunch -- double meat, with cheddar, from Subway -- and it was delicious.)

I have yet to see proof that there's a difference in cloth quality between a Pono T-shirt and a regular T-shirt.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  17. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Well nobody seems to have researched it scientifically. There are loads of tests of people's subjective responses, but I haven't seen any where they wire the people up and monitor brain waves. Correct me if I'm wrong!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, the AES has done a half-dozen very involved scientific tests on high-res recording & playback:

J. R. Stuart, Coding for High-Resolution Audio Systems, J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 52, pp. 117144 (2004 Mar.).

G. Plenge, H. Jakubowski, and P. Schone, Which Bandwidth Is Necessary for Optimal Sound Transmission, J. Audio Eng. Soc., vol. 28, pp. 114119 (1980 Mar.).

T. Nishiguchi, K. Hamasaki, M. Iwaki, and A. Ando, Perceptual Discrimination between Musical Sounds with and without Very High Frequency Components, presented at the 115th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society, J. Audio Eng. Soc. (Abstracts), vol., 51, p. 1222 (2003 Dec.), convention paper 5876.

D. Blech and M. Yang, DVD-Audio versus SACD: Perceptual Discrimination of Digital Coding Formats, presented at the 116th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society, Berlin, Germany, 2004 May 811, convention paper 6086.

Wieslaw Woszczyk, Jan Engel, John Usher, Ronald Aarts, Derk Reefman - Which of the Two Digital Audio Systems Meets Best with the Analog System?, http://www.aes.org/events/31/program.htm

Brad Meyer & David Moran's AES paper is one of the earliest comparisons of this interesting question back in 2007:

http://www.drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf

The subsequent discussion at the Hydrogen Audio Forums was very spirited and informative:

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=57406

19. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Can you just point me to the ones where they measure brain waves? That's a lot of data to sort through and AES are not really neurologists...

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Why would that help?

Brother_Rael and Billy Budapest like this.
  21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Waveforms can prove anything!

Billy Budapest likes this.
  22. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Because it isn't subjective and shows how people actually react instead of how they think they react.

23. How you think you react is more real than how someone else thinks you react, whether by reading waveforms or doing some other sort of physical observation.

Metralla likes this.
  24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, that's you. Maybe you've been wearing those headphones too long. ;)

I hear the difference.

The cool thing about Pono music store - and anyone who has gotten early access can verify it for me - that people will be able to cherry-pick track like they do on iTunes.

formu_la and Peter Pyle like this.
  25. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

+1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.