Ultimate Classic Rock's Top 10 Rolling Stones songs with Mick Taylor

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Dec 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

Aside from Taylor's lead work, I don't find much of interest in Jiving Sister Fanny.

It would have been great if the Stones had completed I'm Going Down, and included it on Sticky Fingers or Exile. Would have been a nice addition to either album.

2. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Much more impressed with their list for the Mick Taylor years, and I agree with your suggestions. I'm pretty shocked that 'Sway' is at #1 (rightfully so, however!) and 'Winter' is on there, which I also love.

I would replace 'Bitch' though, because besides a nice solo, I think there are tracks from his tenure that better represent Mick Taylor's greatness, especially 'Sympathy for the Devil' (the 1969 Madison Square Garden Live Version from 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' - his solo is simply stupendous on that one) and 'Tumbling Dice' (love the song, but, again, I don't think it represents Mick's playing as well as some others) with 'Jiving Sister Fanny' or (even better yet) 'I Don't Why' (also from Metamorphosis). I'd also want 'Midnight Rambler' (the 'Get Yer Ya Yas Out' live version) on there too, but I wouldn't want to replace any more tracks!

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I think when they compiled their list they only considered studio tracks.

4. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

agree, though surprised not to see anything off of Let It Bleed. wasn't taylor involved in most of the making of that album?

5. John Fell

No, most if it was already recorded. He only played on Live With Me and Country Honk.

6. old school

old school Senior Member

Oh Dave you have to hear ' Stray Cat Blues ' by Johnny Winter it smokes.

7. John Fell

Johnny Winter also used to play Gimme Shelter live as well sometimes but I don't think any versions have been released.

old school likes this.
  8. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Duly noted. It shall be done. Thanks.

old school likes this.
  9. John Fell

10. Black Widow

The Black Crowes with Marc Ford, circa 1992 > 1997, were the closest any R&R band has come to emulating the great sound of Mick Taylor-era Stones. There's been many two guitar, Stones-like, rock bands since the mid-70's, but none have been able to capture the classic Richards/Taylor sound like that rendition of the Black Crowes. IMO Marc Ford was the second coming of Mick Taylor... so to speak.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. John Fell

Marc Ford wasn't as good as Mick Taylor but the Black Crowes first few albums are great and I enjoy them. I also read that Slash said Mick Taylor was one of his biggest influences but I like the Black Crowes better than Guns & Roses.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. Black Widow

That Slash quote is funny 'cause Marc Ford sounds a lot more like Mick Taylor than he (Slash) does. In addition to the Stones-style of guitar playing, Slash was influenced by hard rock & metal. I think the combo of those three styles made Slash the perfect lead player for GnR.

Marc Ford tended to play mostly in the "classic rock" style of lead guitar playing (for lack of a better description.) And like Slash with GnR, Ford's style was a great fit for The Black Crowes.

I really like the Crowes first three studio albums. The fourth one could have been much better, but for whatever reason l the Brothers Robinson went with three weak tunes over some stronger ones they'd already recorded, but not released.

I feel the first Crowes' album Ford played on, The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion, is one of the best R&R releases in the past 25 years.

John Fell and Dave Hoos like this.
  13. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

Someone put together a couple of collections of Mick Taylor's live solos from Love in Vain and You Can't Always Get What You Want. One is "41 licks"- Love in Vain Solos from 1969-1973, and the other one is 3 CDs of You Can't Always Get What You Want solos from 1972-1973. I wish they had done one for Gimme Shelter as well.

John Fell likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Stop Breaking Down?

Dave Hoos and John Fell like this.
  15. Dave Hoos

I would also replace "Bitch". Mainly because the Chuck Berryesque solo is played by Keith, not Mick T. Taylor does play great rhythm on it (which shows he doesn't just stand around with his hands in is pockets waiting for the solo to come around!), but it's not really representative of what he can do.

Black Widow and John Fell like this.
  16. Dave Hoos

Taylor's slide playing on this is masterful...but then, when isn't it?

John Fell likes this.
  17. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

18. rcdupre

19. rcdupre

alchemy likes this.
  20. John Fell

Nice choices but they aren't Rolling Stones songs. Maybe we should start a thread for his session appearances.

alchemy and Dave Hoos like this.
  21. rcdupre

yeah, that's about all there is (besides the awesome Dylan - Real Live) , just thought I'd add it in....saw him in Florida in 1989 with Max Middleton, the keyboard player with mid-seventies Jeff Beck

John Fell likes this.
  22. John Fell

There is also the stuff with John Mayall & Jack Bruce.

rcdupre likes this.
  23. rcdupre

yeah, he doesn't really smoke on the Mayall stuff yet....just like Peter Green didn't...and the boot with Jack Bruce is kind of of big letdown....what a monster guitarist...
    like most of them you are left with wanting more...

24. Dave Hoos

There's a Mayall reunion DVD from around '82 that has MT in absolute top form. And then the one for John Mayall's 70th birthday where Mick lets Eric Clapton solo first...and then smokes him. Awesome stuff.

John Fell likes this.
  25. Black Widow

And Bob Dylan's studio album Infidels. With Mark Knoffler to boot!

:edthumbs:

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.