Why Are The Stones Boring Live After 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gersh, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I was at that show and the band was smoking hot.

Jack likes this.
  2. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Agreed :)

3. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Don't think I've heard this, so I'll try to get it and give my honest view. Fair's fair.

4. Hagstrom

I've seen this band around 14 times and each time they put on a fantastic show, filled with iconic guitar licks, Mick's dancing, and hundreds and hundreds of good looking women dancing and singing. Sign me up.

For me, this band is like oxygen. I need it!

Jack likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Saitama Arena 2006. Before Keith's accident. A magnificent show caught on video by a Japanese TV crew with five handheld cameras. No overdubs, minimal edits. Inexplicably never released except in heavily (and poorly) edited fashion on the Biggest Bang DVD.

If this is boring, I only wish I could find other bands just as boring.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    Carserguev likes this.
  6. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

You try doing something at the same peak level for fifty years and see how it works out for you! ;)

Jack likes this.
  7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

This was a common complaint, even among hardcore Stones fans. Beginning around 12 years ago, they began slowing the tempo on many of their traditionally sped up numbers back to their original speeds (Street Fighting Man being a prime example). Nowadays, the only song still done at a speed significantly greater than the recorded version is probably Satisfaction.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The 1994 tour started out with an unusually ambitious (for the Stones) setlist: it included 7 songs from "Voodoo Lounge". I think they ended up dropping a lot of those songs as the tour continued, but I still think the US leg of the tour remains the most "daring" set the Stones have done in decades. In addition to the 7 new songs, they buried "Satisfaction" in the set - ie, didn't open with it or play it last/during encore - and added rarities like "Memory Motel"...

9. Gersh

That was extremely good. Some off notes (guitar) especially at the end, but Ya-Ya's was fixed in the studio apparently quite a bit, so I can't complain there.

This is much better than most Stones work I've seen after '71. This song for me will never be equalled without Mick Taylor on it, but this was a very good version, yes.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

They really did the songs justice in that show, especially "Midnight Rambler," "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," and "When the Whip Come Down." Even the requisite celebrity cameo -- Sheryl Crow on "Honky Tonk Women" -- worked out great.

11. Hagstrom

This cat is never boring.

[​IMG]

Carserguev and TeddyB like this.
  12. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Because they know you are in the audience. You really should hear them when you're not.

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I saw them in 2012...boring they were not.

Carserguev likes this.
  14. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Since the title of this thread is a presupposition, I declare it null and void.

The Rolling Stones have never, ever - evereverever been boring live.

Ever.

Curveboy likes this.
  15. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I saw the Steel Wheels Tour 89. It was great, nothing boring about that show. Sha Stadium NY.

Curveboy likes this.
  16. Gersh

Love You Live (in response to the last few posts) is boring. I thought so then, I think so now. Disagreement is the basic stuff of these discussions, so I'm good with that.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Across my 25 years of seeing the Stones, I've been to a couple of shows that bordered on "boring" - or they were boring for the Stones, at least. Chicago January 2006 was a weak show for them - it just felt like they phoned in the performance.

They were great in Baltimore a few days later, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.