Albums that were buried by their creators or label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lugnut2099, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

sorry didn't read the whole thing

2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Not picking on "audiotom" personally but why do people post in threads without reading them? No reason to repeat info and if you've just commented without reading, you've wasted your time and ours. This thread is interesting. Why not read it?

Back to the thread, Alanis Morrissette's first two records have been buried. She doesn't want them out...ever.

Ed

P.S.: If she's mentioned and I missed it, I'll have my crow with ranch dressing...;)

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Because some people don't want to read/don't have time to read 9 pages of posts. This is a pretty long thread.

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Brian Eno scrapped My Squelchy Life in 1991 after the label delayed its release and then re-used a couple of tracks on his next album Nerve Net.
    The full "My Squelchy Life" is now finally available as a bonus second CD in the recent re-issue of Nerve Net.

I can't think of other examples but if we want to talk about albums that SHOULD HAVE BEEN BURIED then I have plenty more!

5. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Rock City Angels debut got buried on release as Geffen wanted to focus on some other new band called Guns N Roses. GnR did nothing for me but the Rock City Angels album is excellent - released on a 3 sided vinyl gatefold. Features a young Johnny Depp on guitar too - although can't recall if he is on the album or was one of the songwriters in the band before choosing an acting career.

Raging Slab have about 3 albums locked up in the vaults that never made it out as the label shelved them. Bootlegs do the rounds of Black Belt In Boogie (Rick Rubin blocked it), Freeburden and From A Southern Space (RCA blocked these ones). An album from the 2004 lineup could exist as well - the band currently residing sadly in the 'Where Are They Now?' file.

Unida's 2nd album - El Coyote (also know as The Great Divide) was canned by Rick Rubin (thanks again Rick!). Thanks to the digital age - the limited number of cuts of the album the band quickly self-released at gigs means I have a great audio quality CD-R of it - and its a cracking album - would have done them good business.

6. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

In 2006, up & coming R&B singer Tamar Davis was touring with Prince behind his 3121 and what was supposed to be her produced-by-Prince debut album Milk & Honey. He even backed her up on a live performance of what would have been her debut single "Beautiful, Loved and Blessed" on a terrific Saturday Night Live performance. However, there was some apparent falling out between the two and other than a handful of copies that were released early in Japan and various promo copies that now go for a princely sum, the album was withdrawn at the 11th hour and remains unreleased.

edenofflowers likes this.
  7. Third Walt

Third Walt Forum Resident

Little Jimmy Scott's Falling in Love Is Wonderful was recorded and released on Ray Charles's Tangerine records in 1963. Savoy records claimed he was still under contract to them (Scott disputed this) and the record was pulled. It wasn't officially released for 40 more years.

Does anyone know the full story behind the Spirits and Worm record on A&M? There's a couple of things here and there on the internet, speculating mostly that the cover had Satanic imagery (two goats lying on a grave? Really?). If that were the case, why not release it with a new cover? It's a time honored tradition :)

8. craigh

craigh Well-Known Member

I think it should have been the other way around. Peter completely overproduced her albums. Many songs have everything but the kitchen sink thrown in.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Has it ever been clarified what REALLY happened and whether Atlantic really deleted it prematurely?

Note that the Rhino Handmade 2CD reissue of this album has recently been reissued again by Wounded Bird (those who paid Handmade prices...welcome to getting screwed again).

10. garryg99

garryg99 Forum Resident

The final Desert Rose Band album "Life Goes On" was never released in the US, although it was released in Europe. There was promotion leading up to a promised release date, including a music video, but the release never happened. I have never seen a full explanation. By this time only 3 of the original band members were left (although original guitarist John Jorgenson guested on 2 tracks). It was really well recorded and one of the best sounding CDs in my collection (copies surface in Europe occasionally - a record store in the UK had a stash a few years ago).

11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

All of Celine Dion's pre-Incognito (1987) recordings are not available.

12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Anybody mention Buckingham Nicks? Maybe not quite "buried" but an actual issue on CD sometime over the past 4 decades isn't too much to ask, I think!

13. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Someone should press / repress pretty much the entire Self catalog. It's chock full of gems and more than half of it never got a proper release.

14. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Robin Zander has had terrible luck with his solo projects. His first album was released and deleted in 1992 without much attention, despite having many of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers play on the record. This album seems to have a lot of fans, considering how poorly it sold. He also recorded a country album, entitled Countryside Blvd. After going through countless release delays, and showing up on Amazon several times with varying future release dates shown this album was released for a matter of hours before Big 3 pulled it for good. The tracks on Countryside Blvd. can be found on the net. Zander and the Cheap Trick camp are basically silent about what happened to the release.

Jimmy Agates and rcsrich like this.
  15. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Then don't bother at all. Why only read a few posts and then participate with a comment we might have read two or three times already?

Ed

Dudley Morris likes this.
  16. Bob C

Bob C Forum Resident

Were any physical copies of Zander's CD pressed?

17. duggan

duggan Senior Member

1. David Ruffin's 3rd solo album from circa 1970'was held back for about 30 years, supposedly a decision by Motown
    2. Rod Stewart's Once in a Blue Moon from circa'1993 held back,nearly 20'years, I think this was a decision made by Warners
    The first one is mentioned to amuse the writer of a recent post, see above.

18. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Who's Next 2 and Who's Last were both rejected.
    The first by the band,the second by the label.

19. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band, Bat Chain Puller
    Languished in the vaults for more than 35 years until finally granted a release in 2012.

20. Depp isn't on the album, but he is acknowledged in the liner notes. Also, interestingly enough, it's worth noting that the 4th side of their album isn't blank, but contains a remix of one of the album's songs.

ifihadafish likes this.
  21. Shilling the Rubes

Shilling the Rubes Well-Known Member

David Bowie - Toy (2001)

Originally, Bowie had recorded the album Toy for release in late 2001/early 2002. It was meant to feature some new songs and remakes of some his lesser-known songs from the 1960s.

In 2001, on his own site, Bowie participated on a virtual chat with fans and when one of them asked about the release of Toy, he replied: "I'm finding EMI/Virgin seem to have a lot of scheduling conflicts this year, which has put an awful lot on the back burner. Toy is finished and ready to go, and I will make an announcement as soon as I get a very real date. Meantime, I'm already started writing and recording for another album (untitled at the moment). So far I have to say it's back to experimental. But knowing me, it doesn't mean that's how it'll turn out."

What actually caused it to be aborted has never been made clear but it appears the record company did not want to release it late 2001, so by the time they wanted to release it Bowie had cannibalised the new material ready for inclusion on his Heathen album; whilst a handful of the old tracks rerecorded came out as extra tracks on the CD singles to Heathen. Then in 2014 three more were included on the 3-CD Deluxe edition of Bowie's 2014 compilation album, Nothing Has Changed.

22. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Grimes scrapped her follow-up to Visions after "Go" received mixed reception. Many thought she was pandering to radio.

23. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

This album was shelved in 1974 by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band due to the band's dislike of the overall sound -

[​IMG]

- and then the material on it was re-written and re-recorded as the more familiar "The Impossible Dream" -

[​IMG]

24. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

In 1974 The Sensational Alex Harvey Band recorded an album called 'Hot City' that they weren't happy with, and it was shelved. Parts of it appeared later on 'The Impossible Dream' having changed in style. The album was finally released 34 years later. Curiously two tracks listed on the cover don't actually appear on the CD.

25. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

SNAP!

jdrueke and kendo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.