Santa Claus Conquers The Martians....an appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chip TRG, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Thanks! He has been a part of the family for many years :righton:

2. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

That really is awesome gates69.

3. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Thanks. Glad you guys like him. My wife bought him for me many years ago. Still makes me smile when I look at him.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how is the quality?

6. BradOlson

Not very good at all. The same print that Westlake uses is the print that Mill Creek uses for Santa Claus Conquers The Martians. I only bought this set to get rid of other standalone DVDs I had as well including the Westlake DVD of the hour TV version of Miracle On 34th Street, the 1959 Santa Claus movie, etc. and save space in my closet.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks Bradley....

8. BradOlson

You're welcome. I do think that the lousy prints used adds to the charm of the movie.

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member Thread Starter

Just found this on Youtube this past week--absolutely THE best I have ever seen this film look. Where was this sourced from? Any ideas?

Ho Ho *HO*!!!!

JamieC likes this.
  10. BradOlson

There is a Kino Blu-Ray out there.

11. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've been tempted to buy the Blu ray. If that's how it looks, it looks amazing, but the reviews I've read say the bonus features are lacking and that's probably the main reason I'd buy a title like this.

I wish it came with the MST3K track!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member Thread Starter

I know, right? I can understand it being in 1:33 because the Avco/Embassy slug at the beginning gives it away as a TV print, so it's safe to assume that it comes from a 16mm dub, but damn if that color isn't the best that I have ever seen for (let's face it) a title that we are used to seeing look like crap. I mean the print is scratchy with some obvious moisture damage, but the color is IMPRESSIVE. The sudio is pretty clean, too. YOU SPELL IT S-A-N-T-A.......C-L-A-U-S.......well, you get the idea.

I'm going to Amazon to order that Blu-Ray right now. The whole contents list looks quite cool...if the rest of it looks as good as this, then I'm REALLY looking foward to it!

13. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Tempted to pick up the Kino Blu-Ray based on the clip but think I'll hold out for the Criterion version. ;)

Chip TRG likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A true Christmas classic. This one never fails to make me smile. First saw it on MST3k of course. :)

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The one with the Martin Scorsese commentary and three-hour retrospective documentary?

16. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I like the Hooray For Santa Claus song at the end way more than the actual movie. Pia Zadora sings it....

17. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Exactly! "I remember staying up late at night and watching this on my little black and white TV in New York when I was a child and being facinated by the composition. Then I got to see it in color and it was even more amazing..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.