Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

That sums it pretty well!! Thanks for the comments.

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

I like creating playlists and putting a song in order from take 1 to finished master. I just listened to 30 minutes of "Suspicious Minds" and it was awesome.

Hep Alien, guidedbyvoices and Rick H. like this.
  3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I started doing that with various Elvis sessions and realized that FTD's producers have done a fine job sequencing a lot of the outtake material. While it is interesting to hear the progression of the recording of a song, I think most of FTD's sequencings have been quite effective.

John Grimes likes this.
  4. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

In the past while,reading some of the posts about buying FTD for the 1st time,and the amount to go for on certain orders,i thought that was something i missed out on ... then i thought if i did buy FTD in bulk,the money spent on them would mean i would now be living in a cardboard box,and there is no electricity to play them.

So to you who have gone down this route,i tip my hat to you all ... and welcome to the FTD CLUB.

(in tribute to Chip Young)

Clanceman likes this.
  5. StacyAtlas83

StacyAtlas83 Forum Resident

My copy of "Let Yourself Go" had this same issue. I requested a replacement which also had cloudy residue. I used a very soft 100% cotton cloth and a liberal amount of Windex, rubbing the disc with some pressure from the center of the disc to the outer edge all around the disc until the residue was completely gone. The disc looks absolutely perfect with no streaks or marks. I've had the disc now for 2 months and the cloudy residue has never returned.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

The FTD sounds great, just as good as the Anesini masterings on the big box. I'm sure both used the correct tapes.

My old Japanese paper-sleeve edition has been put to rest for good.

mikrt17 likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Reminds me of how we now have all the takes of Kentucky Rain...that is a pretty cool thing I never would've predicted back in 1970 ! :thumbsup:

8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Make them hi-res downloads... and I'm in!

9. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is such a great point, we should never lose sight of the fact that we are extremely fortunate and blessed to have all of this stuff! Entire sessions, best ever sound quality, live shows etc. Whenever I speak to someone just getting into collecting Elvis Presley music, I feel compelled to tell them what it was like way back - aside from the Legendary Performance series, the "Silver" box and a few classic bootlegs (Behind Closed Doors anyone?) there was an absolute dearth of alternate material for the casual and serious collectors alike.

Add to that, the frustration in regards to how long it took for the Elvis catalog to get issued on CD in it's entirety. I believe it was the early 1990's when we started to see the 70s albums for instance.

Back to FTD releases - you guys are killing me :) I was actually going to hold off on the Flaming Star and Christmas albums but the glowing reviews here made me place the order.

Question: My "go to" medium for the Christmas album is the Speakers Corner vinyl which I think sounds wonderful - is anyone here able to do an a/b comparison between that one and the new Sebastian mastered FTD?

JQ

John Grimes likes this.
  10. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Jailhouse Rock Vol 2., Polk Salad Anne(sucks), All Shook Up, Burbank 68, At American Sound, Back In Memphis, and From Elvis in Memphis. Still need a lot. 50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong, Elvis Is Back,(can't find it), Elvis In Person, Elvis Presley, Memphis Tenn, Guitar Man, that's about all for now.

11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

After reading the above posts I've just checked my copies - LYG is OK but IFMT had partially clouded over. I thought this problem was confined to pre 2000 discs but apparently not. I've bought all the FTD's as they have been released and make a note of the date I receive them. Interesting to note that these two were consecutive releases back in 2006 which implies the problem is confined to this time period (hopefully). To remove the cloudy residue I ran the disc under a warm tap and gently rubbed with a glasses cloth (which is designed to rub glass without scratching). It worked in this case but this is still a worrying issue.

12. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

50,000,000 Fans Can't Be Wrong: https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/product/follow-that-dream-057
    Elvis is Back! : https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/product/follow-that-dream-042
    And as an extra, a favorite of mine, Elvis Country: https://www.nowdigthismagazine.co.uk/product/follow-that-dream-071

hodgo likes this.
  13. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Don't agonize over the decision, because you need both. If you can't afford both right now, just flip a coin.

14. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

I took a stand: "Back in Memphis" will be the first one. Hope I will get the 3rd volumen on February.
    Taking that decision had a wonderful effect on me: I feel right now like the happiest man in the world.

"I´m like a stra-angeeer... like a stranger in my own home town!..."

hodgo likes this.
  15. MEMPHISSUN

3rd Volume flows very well and it is not bad for a left over of these classic songs.

He was on fire in 1969,Memphis / Vegas that is for sure.

hodgo likes this.
  16. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

PepiJean likes this.
  17. MEMPHISSUN

NDT is the place i buy my FTD"s.Great service and well packed so your FTD"s will be in safe hands.

PepiJean and John Grimes like this.
  18. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Just curious...is there any particular reason why you think the Polk Salad Annie CD "sucks?"

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, but I particularly like this recording since it's one of only two (nearly) complete recordings from the February 1970 Vegas season. Elvis is fighting off a cold, so that affects the performance a little...but he's in a great mood regardless. Plus the sound is nice and it's a good snapshot of an early 1970 show.

19. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

My pleasure.

He sure was!

Elvis in Vegas isn't the most interesting part of his career but "Polk Salad Annie" is not that bad, with a nice rendition of HOUND DOG that includes the second verse (for a change).

John Grimes likes this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Maybe it's all the coughing throughout the show? :) I agree, that cd far from sucks....in fact, many artists I am sure wish they could suck that bad.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Polk Salad Annie is substandard CD release and one that I have not played in years. At the time of its release, there as great anticipation for it. Most of the February 1970 tapes were still unreleased at the time, and after the Live In Las Vegas box set bypassed releasing anything from the February 1970 archives, the release of PSA was a big deal. It ended up being quite a disappointment. Elvis was in very loose form and somewhat unfocused. And yes, the excessive coughing did add anything redeeming to the proceedings. Certainly one of the factors that inspired its release was that it was one of the only nearly complete concerts recorded during the winter 1970 Las Vegas engagement; as many fans know, producer Felton Jarvis only recorded sections of concerts or specific performances. Over the past few years, PSA has been superseded by superior releases of the winter 1970 engagement such as FTD's On Stage - Classic Album Series edition and the fantastic On Stage Season.

22. GroovinGarrett

ShopElvis.com is running a 20% off CD's sale through Friday, including FTD titles. Stack the Insiders discount on top of that, and titles are $21 and change.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    Myke likes this.
  23. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

The notice I received says it's good until 8:59 AM EST on the 26th (of Dec). Just in case anyone needs a wee bit more time to think it over. ;)

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  24. GroovinGarrett

Indeed it does! I've edited my post, thank you.

Quincy likes this.
  25. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

They know many of us will have some down time, maybe victims of getting "practical" gifts too. :laugh:

John Grimes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.