2016 - Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member Thread Starter

You can bet Capitol will release something to mark the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds in 2016....but what?

We've had the sessions box, 5.1 mix, mono and stereo. What unique angle could they include on a 50th anniversary release. Some kind of super deluxe box set perhaps?

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Gotta be one of them super-duper oversized boxes like Smile Sessions. Mono and stereo vinyl. Mono and stereo CD. 3 CDs or more of Sessions. Hard cover book. 1966 tour program replica. 45 vinyl singles (Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Caroline No). DVD-A with 5.1 and video content. SACD-hybrid. Live in Michigan 1966 show. Hard cover book.

My Pet Sounds collection is pretty insane. I don't think I need to buy it again (aside from the upcoming SACD and mono vinyl....*sigh*).

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

For the 50th, I am hoping one of the audiophile labels (or "audiophile" labels) remasters this and issues it at an inflated price. God knows, we've waiting long enough.

I'd be real curious to hear what Music on Vinyl or 4 Men With Beards could do with this title starting with a CD for the master.

4. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

I agree, a super deluxe box set. Expanded sessions box with vinyl and a coffee table book.

5. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

A bit harsh on MOV. But I see your point on 4 men.

6. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Some of the optimistic fans (arguably too optimistic) are holding out hope the band might reunite again in 2016 for a PS tour.

I'd love to see it, but it doesn't look very likely. Love and Johnston may already be booking their own shows for 2016 (and 2017).

I'm sure Capitol will put out another PS release for the anniversary, and probably throw one new thing on there so fans will buy it again.

They've already done vocals-only and all-instrumental. Maybe they'll make a "backing tracks with backing vocals-only" mix like they've done a few times. :laugh:

7. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

I think this pony's been milked enough.

8. jl151080

True, but you can bet Capitol will find a way of milking it some more.

9. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Catalogue's in Universal's hands now, get ready for a mega milking..!!

10. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

An analogue mono vinyl mastered by Kevin Gray would be most welcome.

mikrt17, Pancat and HAmmer like this.
  11. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

YES.

12. jl151080

The Musictap site mentioned Pet Sounds was due to be released on Blu Ray in December. That seems to have slipped off the radar!

Oh well, I have my DVD Audio!

13. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

A 3d hologram performance in my living room or nothing.
    Lets hope the BBC doesn't try to do a tribute LP or re record it at Abbey Road, probably with Jools Holland.
    This classic really needs no more releases.
    Please.

14. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

True true! afaik the HFPA Blu-ray is still happening but I don't know the latest revised date.

jl151080 likes this.
  15. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

It's going to come packaged with a special "surprise" from Brian Wilson, wrapped in newspaper.

pablo fanques, Bill and Timjosephuk like this.
  16. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

17. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

18. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Special 2017 45th Anniversary reissue repackage bundling it with "Carl & the Passions - So Tough"...THE WAY IT WAS MEANT TO BE HEARD!

supermd, pablo fanques, JimC and 4 others like this.
  19. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Linto likes this.
  20. That's what I think as well. There is really nothing that can make me pay money for this album again. The DCC gold disc is as good as the mono mix is ever going to sound, same for the stereo mix on the MoFi SACD. There's more outtakes than I'll ever need to hear on the sessions boxed set and there's surround on the DVD-A. Even though this is probably my favourite album, enough is enough.

FJC1966 and GroovinGarrett like this.
  21. Maybe we'll get a dedicated copyright extension box containing ALL of the circulating session material, alternate mixes, some vintage '66 live performances plus at least one green and yellow marble, presented in a limited edition case featuring a letter or at least some kind of sticker promising no further reissues of this album?

22. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Commemorative 8-track tape.

pablo fanques, ARK and JP Christian like this.
  23. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

They're going to release Remember the Zoo.

24. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Super Ultra Deluxe Addition Limited to 5 Copies Only for a Limited Time

25. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I hadn't heard of such a thing! But, AP is advertising this as the first release of the 90's stereo mix on vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.