Poll : 'The Monkees' in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I've got the Rhino CD of this (only got it some months ago) plus a comp CD and I'm A Believer/Stepping Stone 45rpm mono single. All very enjoyable. :)

2. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I have Greatest Hits Volume 1 and Volume 2.

3. Moth

Moth fluttering by

The Beach Boys played instruments on Pet Sounds.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Friday Music has reissued a deluxe version of "Headquarters"...

5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Brian did and some others, but it was mainly the Wrecking Crew and other studio musicians. Most of the instrumental tracks were recorded while the Beach Boys were on tour without Brian.

6. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I am well aware of the recording situation.

7. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

I have nothing by the Monkees.....but I feel like I should at least get a greatest hits at some point. Love Porpoise song. Were their album tracks any good?

8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah. I'm probably biased, but I don't think I'm out of line to believe that when you've got that many high-calibre songwriters and session musicians working on the project, you've got a surplus of amazing, top-shelf material. The album tracks were usually great, and there were tons of fantastic leftovers that didn't see the light of day for decades. Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones is a nearly flawless album that defies their teenybopper image. If the same album had been recorded by a more respected act, it would be hailed as a masterpiece.

starduster, Grand_Ennui and Folknik like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I have one of their GH's.

10. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I think most of their albums tracks were very good. I think they're worth checking out just to discover the works of Michael Nesmith, one of the greatest and most forgotten songwriters in American music. Although, I would like to apologize ahead of time for any of Davy's Vegas-style tunes that you may come across.

starduster and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

And reportedly, Peter Tork played a bit of rhythm guitar on "Papa Gene's Blues" at Michael Nesmith's insistence. Don Kirshner should have known then that it was just a matter of time.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Many of them are outstanding. There's a relatively inexpensive box set in the 5 Classic Albums series that has the first 5 Monkees albums, all of which are more than worthwhile, especially the amazing Headquarters, the turning point where they insisted on playing their own instruments ,a link in the chain of events that got Don Kirshner fired. "Porpoise Song" isn't on any of the first 5 albums, but it's available on the Head soundtrack and various compilations.. Kirshner had tried to get the Monkees to record "Sugar Sugar",but they refused. After his firing, he went on to produce the Archies. Cartoons don't talk back.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. jbintenn

jbintenn Forum Resident

Am ashamed to say it but until the last couple of weeks, I had not owned any of the original music of The Monkees on vinyl or CD (unless you count having a cereal box single from the early 70's that is now long gone.) Why? Not sure. (Read that as not enough space to go into all the reasons.)

But now, due to a hobby that just won't quit and the resurgence of vinyl, I do. The first? Their first 'greatest hits' album from '69 on Colgem Records. And the second? Oh, the second! Wow! I happened upon a mint Colgems (Hollywood 3S pressing) copy of their debut album. Jaw dropping sound to me.

And so I guess it is never too late to start building that collection, heh?
    So here is to 50 years of "Hey, hey were the Monkees." :wiggle:

Grand_Ennui and j_rocker like this.
  14. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I don't own The Monkees, but I do own Music Box. Perhaps someday I'll expand my collection.

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I never bought The Monkees records at the time (not enough money), so don't have any vinyl. Eventually bought a greatest hits CD, and really enjoyed most of it - when they got it right, they produced magic. Was given the budget box set of their albums, and was quite interested to hear the songs in the context of their original release. But I never got inspired enough to listen to them all.

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I might as well just pay their mortgages, as much as I spend...

cuddlytoy and Galley like this.
  17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I love the Monkees own and enjoy most of their albums, except the first one.
    Other than "Clarcksville" and "Giant Step" the rest of the songs do nothing for me

18. Grand_Ennui

Not even the Michael Nesmith cuts? Tough audience ;)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  19. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I love Nesmith,have seen him in concert and have most of his solo stuff, but the early Monkees cuts are not my favs.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  20. BobGilly

BobGilly Active Member

buying the vinyl box this Sat, what else should I buy? This will be my 1st Monkees purchase

21. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Hey, my wife is a letter carrier and Micky Dolenz is on her route.
    She says he's one of those "nicest guys in show biz" kind of guys. Friendly, open and nice.
    Wasn't really a singer and ended up singing lead on most of the hits. Great voice.

I'll tell her to tell him you all say hi.

Cassandra Wilson managed to give this song more emotional weight than I thought it had ...

22. Grand_Ennui

I'd suggest buying as much as you can get your hands on, but in reality, I'd say wait until you see how you like what you're buying on vinyl and go from there...

What titles are you getting on vinyl? I'm guessing it's just the first five albums ("The Monkees" thru "The Birds, The Bees, and The Monkees")? If that's what you're buying, and if you like them, I'd suggest buying the rest of their original output ("HEAD" thru "Changes") and while some don't care for it, I'd also suggest "Justus" (and while you're at it, you might as well buy "Pool It!" just for good measure)...

23. BobGilly

BobGilly Active Member

24. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

The entire Head soundtrack is well worth it (as is seeing the movie, if you never have). Unfortunately, the album version of "Porpoise Song" doesn't have the extended coda like the single version does (the version that shows up on the various "best of" collections).

Also, their other two best albums -- Headquarters and Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. -- are loaded with great album tracks. Songs like "Randy Scouse Git," "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round" and "Daily Nightly" (if you like "Porpoise Song" you'll dig that last one) are among their very best.

starduster and Grand_Ennui like this.
  25. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have Robert Wyatt's cover version of "I'm a Believer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.