Speakers to Keep: Analytical or Musical?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by yenyen, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yenyen

yenyen Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I have on hand a set of very analytical-sounding speakers, the clinically-pure Focal 1008 BE. I also have whatever the latest version of the Vandersteen 2 is called on hand. The Vandies are warm and musical.

The problem is, I love them both but can't keep both. *$$*

The Vandersteens often put me to sleep, even if I just got up. Very comfy & pleasant. The Focals have me clutching the armrests in terror over details that I thought were buried in the mixes. A treat for my OCD.

Which would you keep? They each appeal to a different side of my brain. (Many - most - of you will understand the dilemma!)

tricka, The FRiNgE and bhazen like this.
  2. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I would keep the "musical" speakers, although the reputation of Vandersteens as "pipe & slippers" gives me pause ... maybe trade both speakers for a nice set of Harbeth 30.1s or DeVore Orangutans?

"[C]lutching the armrests in terror" ... :laugh: Love that!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    tmtomh, Robert C, raferx and 2 others like this.
  3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

One set in between those 2.

reb, tyler928, VinylRob and 1 other person like this.
  4. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I used to think that this was a dilemma, too. That was until I heard Vandersteens with Audio Research "High Definition" amps into them. Vandersteens need just the right associated equipment to wake them up. And before that, I heard Thiel speakers (which I thought were too analytical) with powerful MFA (Moore-Frankland) tube amps. They needed the romance to WARM them up. If you are not getting the sound you like from your favorite speakers, you probably have not discovered just the right amp for them yet. You need to experiment more. Don't buy another amp for your speakers until you've heard the synergy with your own ears in your own home. And don't try to choose your favorite among two speakers with an amp that doesn't do either speaker proper justice.

Now, I am a dealer for Audio Note UK. If you listen to my demo room, or any of my demos at audio shows, you will definitely hear no compromise at all. No dilemma. Do a Google search for "Warren Jarrett Warm Breeze", "Music First Audio Smooth Operator", "Warren Jarrett CAS 2013" or "Show Winner Audio Note Music First" to read what I mean from reviewers. There need be no compromise, even at somewhat affordable prices. My 2013 system was considerably less expensive than my 2014 system, but the reviews don't differentiate that higher cost was any better (although it was a little better, I must admit).

Of course, buying Audio Note speakers and amplifiers together makes the job of listening for synergy easy. But, the Show Winner YouTube video (above) system was spectacular with NAT amplifiers and Audio Note speakers. Interestingly, these should have been a terrible match. The speakers were $7000 and 95 dB efficient (needing only 8 wpc to sing). The NAT amplifiers were a totally inappropriate $35000 and 160 wpc. But, wow, the sound was everything you could ever want. And the $7500/pair AN amps, sitting on the floor next to them, sounded even better (with those speakers) by all listeners' accounts.

beowulf and jupiterboy like this.
  5. yenyen

Interesting comments. I've heard Harbeth 30.1 and actually prefer the Vandersteens. Oddly, I'm reading a Devore review in STEREOPHILE right now. Re: associated equipment, I have a new Luxman integrated and Luxman SACD/CD player. The amp is 100w.

bhazen likes this.
  6. I think the Vandy's would be a safer choice as there is nothing worse than a speaker that makes your ears bleed. If you're playing vinyl you can always change to a cartridge that draws out more info from the grooves so you can satisfy your OCD.

bhazen likes this.
  7. Warren Jarrett

Again, I am sure the choice of "best speaker" is really determined by what amplifiers you can find to make either speaker sound like no compomise at all. They are both probably capable of great sound but both definitely finicky in opposite directions. Try Audio Research with the Vandersteens. Some wonderful ARC amp from the past.

Here are some examples of ARC oldies-but-goodies for Vandersteens, that may not be too expensive now: D-125, Classic 60, VT-100, VS-110, VS-120, D-240, 100.2, 150.2.

My personal taste is that any Vandersteen speaker sounds compressed and soft, no matter where and with what I hear then now. And I have heard them in really great systems at shows. But, I don't think they are among the best anymore. So I don't think "soft" is safe, because you risk boredom, which is not a good thing while listening to music. I think just the opposite of Johnny Vinyl. I would rather try a warm and pleasing tube amp with the Focal speakers, making sure that none of their inherent clarity of detail resolution is compromised. As I mentioned above, Audio Note SET amps are capable of both qualities (warm and detailed), but there are many other tube amps (less expensive for the higher power that you need with Focals) to try. I happen to VERY much like the Music Reference amps; for example, an RM-9 or RM-10 may be worth a try.

I would love to hear an AN amp, of suitable power, with the Focals. I would NOT like to hear an AN amp with Vandersteens, though. Maybe I am wrong; I would have to try it to be sure.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Both have their place small nearfields for stereo precision and analysis, large far field for weight and musical scale
    Never heard one set up that could do both

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  9. Warren Jarrett

Yep, very true. Personal preference is of paramount importance. What qualities are someone most listening for, and what trade-offs are easiest for him (her) to accept?

Room condition, size of room, proximity of the seating position, all play a very big role in choosing a speaker.

But we would like to have a balance of "both" to the extent that is possible.

kfringe and raferx like this.
  10. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Google "Music Reference RM10 Vandersteen" for several glowing testimonials to this combination.

Roger M owned Vandersteens when he began the design for this amp. Warren has good taste :). This is an amazing little amp.

Dmann201 likes this.
  11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I would get rid of both speakers and buy a speaker that is musical and detailed!:bdance:

bluemooze and VinylRob like this.
  12. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

Maybe demo a Devialet integrated with the 1008BE's and SAM turned on. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

13. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

+1

14. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I suggest to hang onto the Focals, and then look into class A or tube amplification that will take the edge off. The Vandersteens have soft dome tweeters (if I am correct) and all soft domes dampen any ringing effects at the slight reduction of detail.[/QUOTE]

15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The DeVore O/93, then, would deffo be my preference of the two; "organic" being the key word.

The Stereophile reviewers I trust the most (i.e., share my tastes in sound) are (were?) DeVore/AN owners.

16. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

When you go to sleep do you sleep on the left, or the right side? This is important.

If it is the right, say, keep the left Vandersteen and put a Focal on the right. If the music sends you to sleep you will turn to the right and be made to wake up again.

Is there anything else I can advise you on?

17. yenyen

*lol*

18. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Very fast speakers can be tuned to sound many different ways by positioning.

19. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Vandersteen's are floor standing vs bookshelf Focals. If you have the space, I'd pick floor standing models. You may be able to try some different speaker cables maybe some lower end Nordost or Kimber with the Vandersteen's. You can also try an interconnect with silver coated copper. There may be some good buys on eBay.

20. I got tired of analytical speakers after using them for a number of years. There are simply too many poor, slammed masterings on the market. Musical speakers are far more forgiving with a wider range of recordings.

21. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

I'd go for enjoying the music.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  22. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

If a mastering has no body and is harsh, I use the new feature in JRMC to apply EQ to that album only. A little boost at 100Hz does wonders. I'd rather have my speakers sound the best with good recordings and non destructively improve crappy sounding masters with a DSP to make them more enjoyable to listen to.

Of course if you listen to vinyl mostly my technique is useless.

23. mds

mds Forum Resident

In my opinion nothing can compare to a fast, detailed and dynamic speaker that has holographic sound stage. As mentioned these shine with great recordings, the performers are in your room. Through component matching average to poor recordings sound great also but maybe not in the room good. Really compressed pushed recordings can sound bad, ear bleed, so turn the volume down. Typically you won't be going to those recording much with any speaker, but if you are selecting speakers so you can listen to poorly recorded music something is wrong.

lobo and Dr Tone like this.
  24. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Warren is correct it is all about system synergy. Pick the speaker that hits the majority of your listening hot buttons and work from there. Avoid advice from people that have no knowledge of the products that you are considering. Too often folks pass along generalized statements that they have read without having any actual listening experience with the products.
    Now in a Vandersteen guy and with the right equipment they have great detail and musicality and although I have listened to a number of Focal speakers none of them have done much for me. That being said I'm sure that the folks who enjoy Focal speakers can provide a number of excellent recommendations for amplification that have synergy with Focal. Use your own ears and decide for yourself as your the only person that matters in this equation.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  25. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Looking at the measurements of the Focal 1008 Be version 2, it has a steady rise of about 6dB between 2kHz and 10kHz. While that might bring out detail on recordings, it would be pretty hard to listen to, for me, on many recordings. Maybe you can either find an amp that makes the Vandersteens more compelling or use an equalizer to take down the hot top end of the Focals. Also, make sure you have at least enough acoustic absorption in the room to kill the sidewall first reflections. If untreated, they will add to the irritation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.