The Association: album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mechanical Man, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandie1207

sandie1207 Well-Known Member

What an amazing thread! I've been a fan of these guys since I heard Along Comes Mary on the radio back in 1966...I was 10 years old, and I absolutely fell in love with them. I recently found myself re-obsessed with their music and have been looking for stuff on the Internet....I found this thread a few days ago and read it from the very beginning. Thanks to Joe Marek for all of the information you have here!

2. Joe Marek

Joe Marek Well-Known Member

You're welcome. It was a lot of fun!

3. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Im trying to get as much as I can that is relevant
    I have these CDs

And Then...Along Comes The Association [Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition]
    Renaissance [Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition]
    Insight Out [Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition]
    Birthday [Deluxe Mono Edition]
    Songs That Made Them Famous
    Just the Right Sound_ The Association Anthology
    The Complete Warner Bros. & Valiant Singles Collection

Can someone tell me if the collectors choice CDs of Renaissance & Birthday are worth getting for the Stereo
    Theres a Japan CD from 1999 of birthday too that has some bunus tracks.
    Last but not least. I myself have not listened to the S/T Album from 69 anyone recommend it?

thanks

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. bruce85

bruce85 Active Member

The Association leaned pretty heavily on the Wrecking Crew in the studio. It was a great combination, killer vocals and some of the best musicians in the world backing the group.

5. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops Thread Starter

I'd recommend the Japanese 1999 Birthday. Earlier in the thread the Collectors Choice reissues were discussed, and waveforms showed that it was the same mix as the Japanese version but somewhat brickwalled.

You do have the best stereo versions of albums #1 and 3 in Songs That Made Them Famous.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

I have to disagree. The Collector's Choice is the only one that hasn't been loudified. Here's "Everything That Touches You" from the Collector's Choice CD, followed by the 1999 and 2013 Japanese issues.

[​IMG]

Mechanical Man likes this.
  7. Mechanical Man

Sorry, I was confusing the Collector's Choice with the 2013 Japanese issue. Glad you caught that.

8. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

I just ordered Collector's Choice of Birthday and Renaissance.
    The clips sound close to the Just the Right. will give it a shot.

9. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I own the following CD's:

1. And Then...Along Comes The Association (Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition)
    2. Renaissance (Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition)
    3. Insight Out (Deluxe Expanded Mono Edition)
    4. Birthday (Deluxe Mono Edition)
    5. Greatest Hits
    6. The Association
    7. Stop Your Motor
    8. Waterbeds In Trinidad!
    9. The Complete Warner Bros. & Valiant Singles Collection

Somewhere, I have a CD-R of that live album from 1970 as well.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Mechanical Man

So has anyone heard anything about that Now Sounds collection that was supposed to "tie up the loose ends" of the Association's catalog?

GroovinGarrett and Hep Alien like this.
  11. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Yes, please share if you do!

12. PPL Runner

PPL Runner Forum Resident

I'm curious too as to when the rest of The Association material is coming out from Now Sounds. As I recall, they were originally scheduled for late 2013 and then rescheduled for late 2014.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

CD reissues from the Cherry Red labels as well as other reissue labels have been dry as a bone this year. I know that vinyl is the "hip thing" now and a good majority of these reissue labels do little to no vinyl. The ones that do vinyl like Sundazed seem more focused on vinyl due to easier licensing. I hope the trend changes and we start getting more CD reissues again with bonus tracks. Big Beat is still doing CDs, but most other labels seem to be in a "digital" standstill. The reissue climate is a shaky one right now.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

GV1967, are the mono versions from 9. exactly what's on 4. ? Thank you.

15. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

No idea.

16. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Apologies; I thought you had both versions. I will likely get the "Valiant" set, since I don't have any of their catalogue in any format.

17. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

Both versions?

Either way, I highly recommend the Valiant set. You will not be disappointed. That much I can tell you. :)

RubenH likes this.
  18. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

I only have the first album in Mono
    how is the Vailant reissue compared to Collectors' Choice?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  19. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

If you have the "Songs That Made Them Famous" compilation, then you already have the first album in stereo.

20. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

If you didn't date back to the time of those original albums and hits on the radio, then that is the likely starting point for anyone pulling up the rear. It's actually a great introductory synopsis, and for many will serve all of their associative needs.

Two of the best stick men of the day and it wouldn't be the first time their work gets confused. Blaine considered Gordon to be second to none as a west coast session young gun. Too bad what happened to him years later.

Far more than not are tweaked or enhanced for official release, going back to at least the 60's, so don't be put off too bad. Generally a clue one isn't is when a disclaimer is expressly written as such, for example this classic epithet from the back of the Ten Years After - Recorded Live vinyl album jacket in 1973:

This album is a truthful recording of Ten Years After with no overdubs or additives. What you hear is what happened on the night. Recorded over four nights in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Paris with the Rolling Stones' mobile recording truck and later mixed from sixteen track to stereo at Olympic Studios in London. In answer to the inferior live recordings sold illegally: this is the official Ten Years After bootleg. :D

Was Richard Thompson not part of that reunion special? I was under the impression Ulsky joined a little later as his replacement.

Btw Joe, great contributions to this thread. :righton:

All true. Only they weren't actually known as the "Wrecking Crew" when that famed aggregate were doing their thing years ago in L.A. That moniker is largely a latter-day coinage from Hal Blaine. And though it has an appealing ring and gained a certain degree of familiarity and acceptance ever since the WC documentary that was cobbled together by Denny Tedesco, some of those same early sessions musicians are chagrined by that appellation. :sigh:

Mechanical Man likes this.
  21. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Here's a few chips that may help.

Regarding who owns the band and name, and how things turned out like they did: Following the 1979 reunion, Jim Yester would leave the band in the summer of 1983, and towards the end of 1984, Ted Bluechel and Terry Kirkman departed likewise. Jules Alexander then turned in his notice early in 1989. Since that time, Larry Ramos and Russ Giguere have owned the rights to the group’s name, with Ramos serving as the group's de facto leader until his death last year. Russ also stopped touring as of last year.

Of note: Jim Yester rejoined the ensemble again in 2007, and Jules Alexander re-enlisted early in 2012. Both have been touring with the Association since. With Larry now gone and Russ no longer active as of 2015, I'm not sure who's in control of the band and name at this point. Possibly Russ Giguere, even though retired from touring.

As for "MIA" Terry Kirkman, he was a feature staff writer for the Huffington Post back in 2012:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/terry-kirkman

A couple of recent Kirkman interviews:

Interview with Casey Chambers (2015)
    http://www.thecollegecrowddigsme.com/2015/02/interview-terry-kirkman-association.html

Interview with Review Magazine (2015)
    http://review-mag.com/article/terry-kirkman

keyXVII likes this.
  22. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Those interviews are cool. If I ever find Terry around town, I have a couple of hours of questions to ask him... in between begging him to write with me.

23. Mechanical Man

Terry's pretty easy to find on Facebook actually-- He posts a lot of funny and smart content there.

Ted last I heard has a son with special needs who requires care, which means he can't go on the road.

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The second interview again clears up the MacArthur Park story-- that it wasn't part of some 25 minute cantata, that Jimmy Webb pitched the song on its own. But it sounds like the group's reaction was "Wow, we'd have to build an entire album around this," so they chickened out.

25. Joe Marek

Joe Marek Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure out the lyrics to verse one of "Silver Morning". This is what I get:

It’s a Silver Morning
    People getting up about the city
    Hot sun is a-coming . . .

Okay, what's the next line?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.