Albums that feature the exact same song twice.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mc7t, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The deluxe edition of Beady Eye's second (and now sadly final) album BE includes the bonus track Dreaming Of Some Space, which is simply a portion of the song Start Anew played in reverse - does this count?

On a related note, different parts from The Swamp Song feature on the Oasis album (What's The Story) Morning Glory? as unlisted link tracks, with the full version available as a b-side and later on The Masterplan.

Similarly, an untitled section known as "Welcome To The Show" appears twice on ELO's Secret Messages, only it is heard backwards for its parent album's introduction then the right way around at the end.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And Mensforth Hill on Sandinista! is the same album's Something About England backwards.

Husker Du's Zen Arcade includes a backward section of Reoccurring Dreams-- titled of course Dreams Reoccurring.

bleachershane and Fullbug like this.
  3. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

thanks, pbuzby--that's what i get for contributing to the discussion while at the office!

smitquest

4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Children Of The Sun by The Sallyangie (a young Mike Oldield and his sister Sally).
    This 1968 album begins and ends with exactly the same track, Strangers.

5. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

I'd be grateful if someone would check me on this. I think the short version of "Laurel Canyon Blvd" on Van Dyke Parks Song Cycle may be excerpted from the longer version that appears toward the end.

6. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

Herman's Hermits have been victims of sloppy packaging twice:

on their 2005 2CD compilation "The Very Best of HH" the same song is featured on both discs, once as Dream On and then as I Gotta Dream On - they might be mono and stereo mixes, but as the song is hardly a classic even for HH, I believe its double inclusion was rather a mistake then a plan

and the 2008 4CD box "Into Something Good (The Mickie Most Years 1964-1972) manages You Won't Be Leaving both as track 8 and Track 22 on Disc 2

there is also this Hollies track Elevated Observations? from "Butterfly" (incidentally my favourite song from the band) - on a German issue of the LP it was repeated right after it finished for the first time. This was the version I heard first on the radio in 1992 and I taped it as such, now when I listen to it from my Butterfly CD I kind of miss the second run (which BTW lacked the 'wind' effects at the end) :)

7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

T. Rex ~ T. Rex. Children of Rarn appears twice
    Claudine Longet ~ Let's Spend the Night Together. The first track and the last track is the same
    Carl Perkins ~ Charley box set has the same version of Glad All Over twice
    The Exciters ~ EMI Rock and Roll Classics is supposed to have both the single and album versions of He's Got the Power but plays the album version both times.

8. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Boris the Sprinkler (semi-famous 90's Wisconsin punks) specialized in super-quick Ramones-type fun, and consequently their 15-song opus "Suck" went pretty fast. So they dubbed in the engineer asking "Can you guys record that CD again?", and they re-included THE ENTIRE ALBUM as one long bonus track. Awesome.

Dudley Morris, Zeki and GodShifter like this.
  9. Pkonz

Pkonz Forum Resident

Fist Full of Dollars soundtrack by Ennio Morricone, the second side is just the same as the first without track marks. just the same as the first without track marks. :laugh:

10. mc7t

mc7t Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which track is repeated?

I've just checked my version on my phone and can't see any duplicated songs.

Cheers.

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

More Than A Woman

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It is the other way around in regards to "The Harder They Come", in the second apperance it is shorter, and there are other edits besides the fade (this is the more common version), but otherwise it is the same mix. The second "You Can Get It If You Really Want" is a different mix but not really an instrumental, it is more of a "version" (as in the Jamaican remix/B-side/dub sense of the word) with the lead vocal partially removed (in the verses) and horns, guitar and organ mixed more to the front. But regardless, neither is "the exact same song twice". And if we want to list Reggae albums where there is more than one version of a track we would have to open an extra forum just for that. :D

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  13. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Yeah but they're two different versions, by two different artists, no less. And they both sound quite different from one another.

bleachershane, mc7t and ARK like this.
  14. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Sounds like the same song to me just sung by 2 different artists. The arrangements don't sound very different.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Slayer's Reign in Blood is the same album on both sides of the cassette.

Dudley Morris and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I used to own a cassette of Traffic's Mr. Fantasy (the 80's reissue) like that.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

This is incorrect, the second side "A Fistful Of Dollars Suite" has parts of the film soundtrack cut up and rearranged to form a continuous piece of music. So in this way it does include many snippets of the music from the previous side, but more importantly it also includes parts of music not heard on the first side at all, for example the version of "Theme from 'A Fistful Of Dollars'" that has the Oboe playing the melody (where the more famous version has the Trumpet). The whole "suite" is really based around this theme reappering in different shapes with interludes in between.

18. I don't have my copy at hand, but I'm fairly sure the two versions of Laurel Canyon Blvd are different takes - I used to think the same thing, only I seem to recall the endings being a giveaway.

bumbletort likes this.
  19. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

On the first pressing of David Bowie's Bowie at the beeb, it had the same version of Ziggy Stardust on disc one and disc two. People who contacted EMI were given a 1 track CD with the correct second version. Subsequent pressings corrected the error.

20. Pkonz

Pkonz Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll have to give it another more critical listen.

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I just did because what you said didn't seem right to me, but I had to check. I think there are also parts of "Titoli" included that are not on the first side version, but I won't swear on it. I actually think the "suite" is a better listening experience than the first side, but that is because I love that "Theme" melody. I can see why you might not want to listen to both sides of the record back to back though. :p

22. Rioub

Rioub Forum Resident

Boys On The Side soundtrack, 1994

Opening and closing tracks are both an identical (same recording, length, vocal) cover of "You Got It" by Bonnie Raitt.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers
    7th Chamber Part II is the same as part 1.

24. MarilynsPickle

MarilynsPickle Forum Resident

Four Tops' Keeper Of The Castle has the title track as the first track and an edit of the same recording as the last track of the album. The CD release of the album omits the reprise.

25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

The CD of Ultrasound's 'I'll Show You Mine' single / EP inexplicably features the title track as the first and fifth tracks. The versions are completely identical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.