A theory for preferring vinyl.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Trapper J, Dec 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Heck, I never ABX. I just know what I like and use my hifi to do the rest. Couldn't be simpler really! Get the right setup and you can get the sound you want. Really nothing to do with format at all in that regard.

2. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If that were true everyone would have been content with cassettes and mp3s and there never would have been any progress into higher resolution digital formats,
    the astounding selection of modern vinyl record playback gear from phono stages to turntables, budget to high end, nor would there be any reason for any of the endless discussions like this one.

The 'mastering is all that matters' canard has been put to rest IMO, except among those with large collections of 'well-mastered mp3s.' Kind of doubt that's a collection anyone is going to be interested in down the line.

3. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Sure there is. The right amount is the amount that sounds best.

Trapper J likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There is no ambiguity in what I posted. I quoted you because you accused me of putting words into your mouth, and I maintain that I did not. What followed was my general opinion of the argument, which is that people can say whatever they want, but I may disagree with how they say it. If a person says, "I just don't like vinyl. Too much noise, too much effort", I can't argue with that, but if a person says that vinyl is inferior and the only reason those who prefer it do is because of nostalgia, then I take issue with that. That's just by way of example, I don't presume that that has any relationship to your opinion whatsoever.

5. Scott Wheeler

I am one of those folks who does not care the least bit about accuracy. But not all colorations are created equal. Some sound good some sound bad. Feedback sounds bad. It's easy enough to put to the test and has been put to the test by TT designers. Many high end TTs have sophisticated isolation systems for very good reasons

EasterEverywhere and 2xUeL like this.
  6. Scott Wheeler

I don't think it comes close at all. IME 192/24 is absolutely transparent. Vinyl is not. IME the very best sounding vinyl playback is not the most transparent sounding vinyl playback. Making digital more accurate is not going to make it sound more like vinyl.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  7. Brother_Rael

Sorry, quoting me and putting comments down on the back of that quote, then not clarifying is alas, potentially going to be construed as a direct reference by the person whom you've just quoted. Hence, clarify at the time. This is not difficult. The rest of your post I have no issue with.

8. Scott Wheeler

Feedback isn't reverb. acoustic and mechanical feedback for vinyl playback has been weel explored and it does not sound good nor does it sound like added reverb. There are added colorations in vinyl playback that enhance the sense of realism but it does not come from the feedback. Right idea, euphonic colorations making vinyl sound better. Wrong specific mechanism, feedback.

Trapper J likes this.
  9. Scott Wheeler

Well get over it. It's an opinion that those of us who listen both to vinyl and digital media get to have if that is what our ears tell us. You are entitled to hear otherwise. If you are tired of hearing that opinion why would you even read a thread titled "a theory for preferring vinyl?" :doh:

mikemoon, TLMusic and dkmonroe like this.
  10. Scott Wheeler

What doesn't make sense. The OP prefers the sound of vinyl and is exploring a theory as to what causes the better perceived sound. It makes perfect sense to explore an idea even if it turns out not to be right

11. Scott Wheeler

He didn't make anything up. I encounter both those facts on a regular basis.

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Funny that so many digital-only types live in such a theoretical realm. I picture them referring to studies, measuring instruments, or graphs to determine whether the taste of their last meal was accurate.

2xUeL, TLMusic, Trapper J and 2 others like this.
  13. Scott Wheeler

I don't think this is the explanation. From what I understand it is due to inherent groove noise, cross talk that is particular to vinyl and frequency response distortions.

14. Brother_Rael

I live in hope one day that I'll find a post with a little more insight and creative thought than "b-b-but it just does".

Simple really. Even you could get that. :drool:

15. Scott Wheeler

Having listened to many LPs and CDs and SACDs etc etc of orchestras, choirs and string quartets and having listened to many orchestras, choirs and string quartets in some of the best concert halls in the world from prime seats I can tell you that to my ears the euphonic colorations of vinyl on the right playback gear sure comes closer to the sound of the real thing at it's best than any digital medium I hav ever heard.

16. Scott Wheeler

That was just about the time that Decca's sound quality fell off the cliff after a slow decent from the top. They have yet to come close the the quality they had achieved in the early 60s.

TLMusic likes this.
  17. Scott Wheeler

Not my fault that the insight goes over your head.

18. EdogawaRampo

I've been doing some dubbing to 24/192 over the past few days and you are right. But, it is a significant step up in SQ IMO over 16/44. It goes to show that the potential of digital has never been fully realised and, theoretically anyway, has a very, very long way to go. Sad thing is, I think the music industry has already reached its market saturation point and won't be able to re-sell back catalogs every few years anymore. People can't afford it and those who can't are burnt out on it and seem less and less willing to part with the cash for yet another round of their fave classics. I suppose many here are exceptions to that (myself included) but we're an obsessive bunch.

The reason I returned, mostly, to vinyl records almost twenty years ago now is just simply SQ. If it's all analog, well recorded and mastered, then more often than not (in my case) the SQ is as good as it's going to get IMO.

19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

These threads are funny. Some posts reminds me of an elderly lady who said "son...if it wasn't true, they wouldn't allow it on TV."

20. Brother_Rael

Oh dear. A cheap shot. And a poor one at that. Bless...

21. EdogawaRampo

The real problem is determining, if accurate, whether it was good and did they enjoy it. There must be a mathematically valid proof for that.

TLMusic and Raunchnroll like this.
  22. Scott Wheeler

I have to ask you again, if you are really tired of hearing opinions that vinyl sounds better than digital why on earth did you even open a thread titled "a theory for preferring vinyl?" If you don't agree that vinyl sounds better than digital media and you are really tired of hearing that opinion what point is there to getting involved in a thread that is trying to explore the reasons why vinyl sounds better other than to thread crap and troll? Do you walk into churches and whine about all the talk about god? Do you walk into bars and tell everyone they are idiots for liking beer? You want some insight? Slamming your head against a wall will not cure your headache. Jumping into threads that are clearly about a preference for vinyl will not relieve you from the pain that pro vinyl opinions so clearly cause you.

2xUeL and dkmonroe like this.
  23. Brother_Rael

Do you go out of your way to be an obnoxious little troll?

My initial post here was simply that the OP is entitled to his views but I thought and felt differently. A whole bunch of comments had been written prior to that. My later responses were to dkmonroe and now you. There was no threadcrapping and no trolling.

My point about "tiresome"? It's just that. And in fact, that wasn't even in reply to the OP, but to dkmonroe and his post on the matter. You took it out of context. Not my issue.

24. Scott Wheeler

Looks to me like you are now determined to get yet another thread closed by making personal attacks. It's starting to look like a pattern at this point.

25. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Few ever came close to the Decca boys renderings ,analogue or digital
    Their recordings are beyond reproach,only the consumer medium was variable in extremis
    Thats why vinyl was relegated.
    Happy Christmas to all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.