Ken Burns - "The Roosevelts"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Sep 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

I think a vice- president who assumes the presidency can run twice only if his/her first term was 2 years or less.

drasil likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yes, that's what I thought

3. 905

905 Senior Member

I should know this as a political nerd but didn't.

4. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I've enjoyed what I've seen so far, but I don't think I can finish all seven parts before they expire from streaming on the PBS app. They must not have had high ratings hopes for this, seeing as how they showed all seven two-hour episodes on seven consecutive nights. That's a bit much to ask people to keep up with.

norman_frappe likes this.
  6. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

That's how all of Burns' documentaries have been broadcast, in consecutive evenings. Did The Civil War have a day or two break, I can't remember.

7. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Watched the final two episodes last night.
    Peter Coyote used the word "mischievous" again, and this time he pronounced it correctly!" Thank god- now I can sleep again.

8. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'm just glad I DVR-ed the whole series so I can watch at my leisure. So far I've finished the first 3 episodes, and I gotta say it's been pretty entertaining.

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've only seen 3 episodes so far, but it's very well done. And, the archival photos and films are amazing.

My only complaint is that they stretched and cropped some of the photos and films to fit the 16:9, which makes them look distorted.

10. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I completely missed episode 1 but was able to watch it streamed off the PBS site yesterday. So all I have to do is watch the last episode today which I DVR ed and I will have taken in the entire series. I have to admit that it was worth the effort.

11. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I've watched the first four so far. They are really great. I know the history from school and some books. But this series gives you some additional insight into the human side of all of this. From Teddy's bloodlust and depression to FDR's great struggles with polio. Truly a great documentary.

12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I bought the blu-ray set (7 discs). I've seen the first part which ends with McKinley's assassination. Quite good.

13. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

My first academic passion is American History, and overall, I have enjoyed the series very much. I had even forgotten the assassination attempt on FDR just before beginning his first term. Two episodes left to watch, I'll be curious as to how Burns describes FDR and Churchill.

14. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I was 12 when Eleanor R. died, and have always been vaguely aware of her having been "a great woman." This series opened my eyes- I found her story at least as remarkable as TR and FD's, and far more inspirational.
    And I for one don't find Ken Burns' presentation style to be worn out- still works fine for me. But then I am twelve years older than the actor in my avatar was.

norman_frappe likes this.
  15. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Well, we made it through 4 out of 7 before it was taken down from streaming. All of Burns' other docs have ended up on Netflix, so I guess we'll finish it once it shows up there.

budwhite likes this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any KB is a must see for me

audiomixer likes this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Finished the final episode
    tonight , epic ! & deeply moving !

spudco, lbangs and Yovra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.