Pick a new TT $1500 budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tridachnid, Dec 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am in the market for a new turntable. I currently have a ATLP1240 with a AT150MLX cartridge. My budget is around $1500. Looking at ClearAudio Concept or a VPI Traveler. Want ease of operation and TT to match well with the AT150. Limited audition options in Cleveland/Akron area. Thoughts please?

2. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident Thread Starter

FYI - I use the phono stage on Rogue Cronus Magnum.

3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

In your position a few weeks ago and I picked the Traveler V2. It was the clear winner for my needs in a turntable.
    Lucky to get a very attractive package deal with cart and dustcover from my local dealer (Music Direct, Chicago).
    Since the Traveler is no longer in production (replaced by VPI with the Scout Jr) I would imagine a time of discounting until they are sold out.

4. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I'd get something VPI. Someone was selling a new Scout 1.1 on Audiogon for $1600ish if I remember correctly.

5. Stretch it to an RP 6.

Art K, Ntotrar, ncblue and 1 other person like this.
  6. K. Jones

K. Jones Forum Resident

I'd budget in a phono preamp upgrade as well. Rega arms are a good match for your cartridge.

7. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

8. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Rega makes a fine table, I had a P2 for almost 15 years. I currently use a Traveler and highly recommend it as well. Whatever you choose, focus on proper cartridge alignment and table isolation, this is as important as the table itself.

beowulf likes this.
  9. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

RP6 +1

Art K and Mazzy like this.
  11. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I second the idea of finding a Traveler on deal. I have a Traveler V2 with a 2m Black cartridge and am very happy with it. The VPI replaced a Concept, which I found musically uninvolving.

12. thommo

thommo Senior Member

Biased recommendation, but: Michell Tecnodec with Rega RB250.

Simple as peas, sounds great, worked well with the AT440 so the 150 should have no problem.

13. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

14. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

djost likes this.
  15. lphunter2

lphunter2 Forum Resident

Marantz tt-15s1 great table and cartridge.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Rega RP3 + Phonomena II. I too have a Cronus and the upgrade to the Phonomena is a big step up!

jupiterboy likes this.
  17. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

18. o0OBillO0o

o0OBillO0o Forum Resident

USED 1980s, Almost anything.

19. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I'd go with the Rega RP3. I'd probably also be looking at a Dynavector 10x5, although the a AT is fine, too. I suppose the output on the 10x5 might be a tiny bit low for the Cronus.

Since I'd be under budget, I might put an upgrade subplatter on it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  20. smc2541

smc2541 Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the Music Hall Ikura with the Ortofon Blue cartridge?

Steve

21. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Go Clearaudio or Rega. I'd completely skip VPI.

22. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

See if you can check out Audio Note's TT1 or TT2. That'd be where my money would go these days I think. Some great choices out there however, but the Audio Note decks have been around for some time and are very underrated. Worth checking out if only to discount them later if they're not to your taste.

Here's a shot of the TT-1 however, which I think is the most likely of the three they manufacture (the third being, you may already have guessed, is the TT3!), to be in your price bracket:-

[​IMG]

23. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

The 150MLX is a pretty good match with the Rega arms. I can’t vouch for the Clearaudio Verify arm performance, but that might be a better match if you plan to cary your cartridge along to the next deck.

24. Quiet Earth

Quiet Earth Forum Resident

That table and arm are sold separately, so together they would probably be over budget, especially in U.S. dollars. Also, a suspended table such as the TT-1 or TT-2 is not what I would call easy to use. Easy to learn, yes, but a little finicky to use compared to a non suspended table. Just sayin' that because "ease of use" was a requirement from the O.P.

It is a very good sounding table and arm though. Very underrated.

25. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I had its predecessor, the Systemdek II, a later version of which the TT1 is based on. Pretty much the same beast and it was a cinch to set up and use I have to say. Sure you can have Rega, etc., but this is a classy deck. Worst case? Spend a bit more time setting it up (my guess? An hour, tops), then sit back and enjoy. If the OP's home is free from significant vibrations through the floor, it's going to be as easy as any other deck to manage long term.

See also used examples and while I take your point around separate arm and table, I think you could get this with an RB-301 or even an earlier NOS RB-250 or 300 for within budget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.