The most CDs you traded in at once?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MikeP5877, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII Thread Starter

Good morning, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and all that....

As I sit here patiently waiting for our turkey to cook on the grill, I am going through my CD collection with the intent of making a significant reduction to my inventory. We're talking Aerosmith to the Yellow Balloon, and much in between....

As I check prices on Amazon, I find it is hardly worth my while to list many of them here as many of them are listed for only few dollars, including sealed discs (I have quite a few of those) .

Fair enough, so I'll donate a few to the local library and pack the rest up and trade them in to my local Exchange for the usual $1 apiece or whatever...

So the question is what is the most you have taken it at once? I think the most I've done at a time is 25 titles, where I walk around and wait for the offer, but I'll have at least 150-200 right off that can go. I suppose I can call them ahead of time and arrange to just leave them off. I think I trust them.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  2. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I was visiting my brother in Cleveland a couple years ago and he took a milk crate full of CDs to The Exchange. Most of it was crap, but they gave him $28 as I recall. I spent more than that while I was there waiting for them to go through them all. We just walked in with no appointment.

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never more than 30.

i believe that if you bring more than that they lowball you.

LordThanos1969 and bluesbro like this.
  4. MikeP5877

Looking over what I did a few weeks ago, I traded in 26 CDs (including a couple sealed discs and some 2-CD deluxes) plus two box sets and got $65 trade credit. They offered $45 cash.

No more than 30 at a time is my instinct too. I live near two of their stores so I can split between them over the next week. Just want to clear some space, and make a little while doing so.

5. 350 CDs in 2001 in one transaction. Sold them to a collector instead of a dealer, so I got a much better price. I needed the money at the time. No regrets.

FastForward likes this.
  6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The most I have gotten rid of at once is around 75 but it was to a charity sale. I try and do this every year. The largest amount to a store was approx. 30

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

You could put them up here in the classifieds in batches; that way you could probably still get a little more than at a store but would just have to do a couple of packings for shipping. If there is an issue about condition, just put the sealed ones up in batches.

8. chodad

chodad Hodad

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you are planning on dumping a big lot of 'em, my suggestion would be go to the local dealer, get their offer, walk out with your CDs. list them here, as a lot, for 25% more, and watch them sell very quickly.

It won't take you much more time, and they'll go to a better home.

10. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

I think this is good advice. In case you are not happy with the offer of your local dealer.

But just going there being sure that you will not sell the CDs to them anyway doesn't look fair to me. Or is it o.k. to waste their time just because they are CD dealers? We are not talking about websites where software is doing the job of making offers.

Joachim

Lost In The Flood and eelkiller like this.
  11. MikeP5877

I agree with this, and I would not do that, unless their offer was ridiculously low.

I have an idea what the whole thing is worth - it's not much, and not worth the time to list, sell, ship, and worry about. So I'll probably trade the run-of-the-mill stuff in to the store, 30 at a time. Some of the more off-the-beaten-track stuff I'll donate to the library to circulate (or sell), and see if I can list a few things here. I sense a "still sealed" thread in my near future.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  12. MikeP5877

Hah, I just ran across a "still sealed" thread I started 4 years ago. Didn't sell a single thing. :righton:

rob68 likes this.
  13. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Do people make it a habit of wasting your time?

Anyway.. why not counteroffer the guy who just did all the work?

eelkiller likes this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Rather than list them here and get "offers" of 25% less than your posted prices.

15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

What Classifieds forum are you looking at??? Nothing sells here quickly anymore besides SACDs and the odd set....basic run of the mill CDs (even if they are decent artists) aren't going anywhere listed in this place.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If he sells them one at a time, you're right, he won't sell them at all.

That's why I said if he listed them as a single lot, he'd sell them.

I guarantee that someone here would gladly pay a premium over what a store would pay for a nice 100-200 CD lot of somewhat common good shape CDs--given what stores are paying these days--even factoring in maybe $20 for Media Mail shipping.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  17. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

If you're not looking for cash, record stores often give extra for in-store credit. One of ours pays an additional 25%.

18. MikeP5877

Yes, that's what they do here. I always take the credit if I trade them in to a store.

19. MikeP5877

So in the week since this thread started:

103 CDs traded in (plus a couple box sets)
    30 donated to the library
    21 (and counting I hope) sold here

I split the trades up in to 4 trips, from which I netted:

Three George Harrision remasters (ATMP, Extra Texture, Dark Horse)
    A couple new DVDs (Rockshow, Stones Hampton 1981)
    The Dylan/Band Basement tapes 6-CD box
    Plus a few other sundry items.

Not too bad.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.