Bluetooth Wireless Still Not High Fidelity?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 2xUeL, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher Thread Starter

My cousin just got a pair of Beats wireless bluetooth headphones for Christmas. A few years ago I tried a pair of Sony bluetooth headphones and was disappointed that they didn't have full frequency response (or at least they definitely didn't sound like it). I thought that by now they would be, but these Beats headphones sound very similar to the Sonys I had a few years ago. Is there something about the technology that won't allow for full frequency response??

2. 2xUeL

I just found out that my other cousin has a wired pair of Beats and again the high end doesn't really sound that great...crazy how much those things cost.

3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I don't believe that even with the latest technology such as A2DP, the audio will be "high fidelity".

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Curious of how good the Audioengine Bluetooth receiver is. I have their D2 wireless system and am very pleased.

5. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

6. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

aptX is somewhat close to CD quality. I haven't yet tried bluetooth aptX in my main system or my headphone system, but it does well coming out of my Sony A17 or Samsung Note 4 into the B&O A2 bluetooth speaker. FWIW, it's not your normal bluetooth speaker, it's outstanding.

Once I get the Chord Hugo I will likely do some bluetooth streaming in the headphone system. More so just because the Hugo has it built in. I had my eyes on on an Audioengine BT streamer, but given that I listen to SACD, DVD-A, Bluray Audio, Vinyl and better sounding CDs on the system I'd be using it in, I think I'd be disappointed so I haven't tried it. I think they only way I'd consider it coming out of that AudioEngine streamer is if I paired a Wyred4Sound reclocker. I'd pair it with the DAC on an Oppo 105. I may do it as an experiment at some point.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Bluetooth most definitely is not hi-fi yet. I'm not saying it's impossible at all, but I think we'll need one or two iterations of the tech before it can happen.

And Beats headphones are indeed not very good-sounding overall.

2xUeL likes this.
  8. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident

Hold on.. if someone can say cassette is "hifi" as some on here believe, bluetooth over aptX is hifi. I suppose it's all where you are coming from.

I agree for the most part. Although the Solo2 are getting good reviews. It's their best effort yet, or so I've read.

9. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

A friend of mine asked me somewhat apologetically once if it was "okay" for him to buy Beats headphones. I told him they're designed by and for people who like a little exaggeration in the bass - like him! He agreed, and loves them. They're not my thing.

As for Bluetooth, it's convenience over quality. The target market is cool with it, so I am too.

10. 2xUeL

When I say hi-fi I'm pretty much talking about full-range frequency response, and AFAIK cassette did offer that.

11. 2xUeL

Please keep in mind this thread should not turn into a discussion (ahem, bashing) of Beats headphones; I'd much rather talk about Bluetooth. :D

12. kman

kman Forum Resident

is the sonos system hi-fi?? the reason i ask is that it is was explained to me by a salesman that it uses wi-fi instead of bluetooth

13. Whistlerskibum

Whistlerskibum Forum Resident

I'm currently using a Yamaha YBA-11 Bluetooth wireless audio receiver connected to a PS Audio Digital link III to stream Rdio and for any guests who wish to play a song from their Bluetooth enabled device on my main system.

The sound quality is very good, I now stream any planned vinyl purchases using Rdio to determine if the album is a vinyl worthy purchase.

Excellent bang for buck accessory to my main system, highly recommended

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.