Reminder: Removing stickers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mods: If this is the wrong place to post, please move. Thanks!

Ahhh, gift season is about us... and those stupid stickers! Don't rip and tear folks, leaving those unsightly sticker remnants behind. First, figure out if the item in question is heat sensitive and will warp or bend. If not, go grab your blow dryer. On a medium or high setting, go over the sticker, back and forth, for a few minutes or until the sticker, in it's entirety, peels off like butter. IMHO, this little trick is a much better option to scraping, if you know what I mean. (The unscrupulous use this method to move Microsoft stickers from one computer to the other.) I've used this method successfully on album covers (without the LP inside), CD jewel cases (CD and cd tray removed, opened up, flipped over, with a large heat sink on top, heating the sticker from underneath), aluminum faceplates (mindful of electronics behind or nearby plastic displays), Pyrex measuring cups, metal mixing bowls, etc. etc. Works a treat. Cheers! and Merry Christmas!

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for any objects damaged by the use of this method and the burning of fingers and collateral damage of nearby items, pets or people.

Robert C and reapers like this.
  2. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

I often use masking tape to lift off those stubborn sticky bits.

A dab of margarine is also good at breaking down the sticky residue. Usually one or two applications is enough to completely remove the residue.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Goo Gone is the best for removing sticker residue.

[​IMG]

vs_jk and TommyTunes like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Been doing this for years.

5. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

This all I use, too.

6. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Lighter fluid is the best for removing sticky residue. It has never marred a substrate that I have used it on, whereas Goo Gone has.

R. Totale likes this.
  7. hogdaddy

hogdaddy Active Member

I use WD-40 on sticker residue.

fuse999 likes this.
  8. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Indeed. I have often removed residue from glossy paper dust jackets of books or CD liner notes with no resulting damage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.